View Full Version : Striper Chronicles

Steve K
06-24-2004, 11:00 AM
While on vacation last week I picked up the book The Striper Chronicles by Leo Orsi, which had just come out. It deals with his fishing experiences on Jamestown and Block Island but mostly about the Block. I enjoyed but it is definitely not a must read but if you enjoy fishing Block Island then you will enjoy the book. I must note that many of the second hand stories about the Block I had heard before.

DZ
06-24-2004, 11:32 AM
I've been looking for that book. Anyone have any idea who the author is? I've fished Block since 1984 and never heard of him. Steve, do they profile the author in the book? Thanks for any info.

Steve K
06-24-2004, 12:41 PM
DZ,

Leo Orsi wrote it and it is written from his point of view. I believe that it came out on June 14th. He is from Princeton, NJ and he mostly fished there in the fall with a bunch of buddies. He did not fish commercially there. I don't know what the guy does or did for a living but I think that he was in real estate.

The website www.striperchronicles.com has more info including an order page.

Steve

PNG
10-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Good read.

John's got it next.

Pete_G
10-06-2004, 07:04 PM
DZ, I have the book at the shop and Leo's phone number if you want it.

We've run into him at the Black Pearl as well. :D

Seems like a nice guy to me.

Nebe
10-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by DZ
I've been looking for that book. Anyone have any idea who the author is? I've fished Block since 1984 and never heard of him. Steve, do they profile the author in the book? Thanks for any info.

DZ you can borrow my copy if you wish-

PurpelNoon
10-06-2004, 09:50 PM
I read it and enjoyed it. Gave me a perspective on the Block and Jamestown since I'm from NY and I've never been to either of those places.

Interesting how he mentions his favorite lure was the Mirrolure 103MR which I believe he modified(shortened) the lip.

I have a couple of those babies and in my spare time I'm whittling away at the lip and testing it. It seems to roll more than it wiggles, but not bad. Whats nice about this lure is that it floats, but it casts pretty well. I can imagine the purpel one would be deadly at night because it is purple see-though with metal foil on the inside to reflect light. This would make it more unusual than any other lure in that respect.

RIROCKHOUND
10-07-2004, 08:07 AM
DZ et al.
Read it,
Not enamered with it; but it was a striper book...
Waiting on a future BI Book someday :D :hidin:

tynan19
10-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Wife bought it for me while we were in Newport last weekend. I read it in a day. I can't believe that he travels to the Block from Tampa every year. I really enjoyed the book though. I appreciate his passion for the sport and the way he shares that with his friends and family.