View Full Version : single hooks for plugs?

doyle007
06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
i just read an article on tidal fish dot com about using only single hooks on lures (store bought, not homemade), and i was wondering if any of you guys go this route instead of using trebles.

i have only tied flies up to this point, and do about 99% fly fishing, but i am really interested in starting to build some plugs after the pictures that i've seen from you guys.

being that i don't keep fish, i like to release them as quickly as possible. i would think that a couple of single hooks hanging from a plug would be the ticket, but i don't know if that would mess with the action, etc. i'm sure that you would have to move up a few sizes to match the weight of the trebles when using a single, but what are the pros and cons.

thanks.

bassmaster
06-24-2004, 04:44 PM
well to use trebles will help the plug swim better than with singles is a hard one to call
It depends on the plug
You can crush the barbs on trebles and use them.
along with trebles say on a swimmer. it may have roll with a singl on the belly. You can use a single on the rear But for the most part the belly hook can raise hell with how a plug swims If You dont know how to fine tune it.
I make some plugs that depend on the trebles in the belly for weight. But You could take the same plug and try it and add weight tothe plug.
see it goes on and on.
for needles a single on the back is cool But im sur You would miss fish with a single on the belly.
I have loaded plastic lures and on bombers I swap out hooks for better hooks and some times will go large on the front hook to get the plug to dig.
get the point:confused:
So case and point is Your Building custom Lures to Your specs so anything goes if You can make it work and catch fish.