View Full Version : worst freakin month ever

scoobe
06-27-2004, 12:13 PM
OK first I gotta admit the first weekend of the month treated me well. But since then it's been nothing but skunk after skunk after skunk. Highlights include the 12 hour ditch guerilla jig-a-thon and the Plum Island lead and treble hook dodging contest - last guy to get knocked in the head by 3oz of lead or waders snagged by a 3 treble swimmer wins! But last night surely topped it all off. It was the combination skunk n dunk. Hey guys did you know salt water ruins zippos and digital cameras?

I was reeling in something heavy (probably someone's old line) and got it close to my feet when it broke free. I tripped on a rock behind me and had to put my left hand out. I didn't get flooded or swept out into CC Bay, but my left side down to my waist was cold and wet and everything in my wader pocket was swimming. How lovely it is to see water leak out of your $300 camera. :smash:

It's offical now... 3 weeks without a fish. But damnit I am determined to conquer the ditch. I can't be driving all the way to Nauset every weekend.

I am pleading here... is there a canal master out there willing to take me under his wing? I can compensate you with lots of teasers and bucktail jigs :)

Hooper
06-27-2004, 03:03 PM
How about buying a boat? Even a cheap one to get you on the water....

As far as my fishing goes, it was the best purchase I ever made, as far as my wallet, well, that's another story!:D

Then you can get irate about "that damn boat!" instead of the poor fishing!!!!

Vectorfisher
06-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Scoobe

I feel your pain, fed the canal about $ 30.00 in jigs last week, and only got a couple rats, then friday night a guy squeezes me outta my spot:af: it has not been a good month for me either but I am just learning myself.

BrianS
06-27-2004, 08:31 PM
I went thru a good start.. 3 nice canal fish in the beginning of the month - all off herring chunks..

Then went thru 2.5 weeks with NOTHING.. but chaugies..

Then Sat morn... another 30" bass... (chunk)

I have not yet learned the way of jigging... Will have to try that...

macojoe
06-27-2004, 08:42 PM
I hate the Canal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

scoobe
06-27-2004, 10:36 PM
I've learned how to jig the ditch without hanging up too often... but I'd gladly trade a few jigs for some fish. They key is to match the weight to the current. You want to be able to tick bottom but not have the jig so heavy that you get hung up every cast. You want it to be swept near the bottom bouncing it off every once in a while.

But what do I know... I've got the skunk for 3 weeks! :(

spinncognito
06-28-2004, 05:53 AM
Hey scoobe perhaps you should not put so much effort into one area. I applaud you persistence but there are big fish to be had closer to the N. Shore. Three weeks is a good chunk of time! :eek:

spin

scoobe
06-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Well I did make one trip to PI during that time. All I got there were sinkers aimed at my head, trebles trying to snag me, 2 drops and 1 chewed up eel. Quite an adventure! :smash:

Notaro
06-28-2004, 11:05 AM
yeah, i remembered that night, scoobe. a chewed up eel?!?!

riverrat2
06-28-2004, 11:13 AM
This month has sucked for me too. I have a cought a bunch of rats, but I had to work hard for those. Haven't had a night where I cought more than 5 fish in one night since late may. Also I still haven't cought a fish over 30in!

scoobe
06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Yea Joe, remember when I showed you the bite marks? The fish were finicky that night. I gave em plenty of slack after the hit but they didn't take.

Originally posted by Notaro
yeah, i remembered that night, scoobe. a chewed up eel?!?!

Notaro
06-28-2004, 02:41 PM
yes, i think so, holy crap, you almost got it, but it was a bloody zoo at night.