View Full Version : trolling lead core

WLaMarr
06-28-2004, 08:55 AM
just got a wire line rig (Penn 113-HSP and a Penn Special Senator 3140NTW) and I love it. wire line trolling is the best. however, I am looking into trolling lead core as a compliment to the wire. can any suggest a cheap (don't want to go over board on this one until I know I like it) rod and reel for lead core trolling? I have a Penn Long Beach 3366CRG with a roller tip. is this good enough for the rod (at least for now)? I welcome any suggestions you might have.

Mr. Sandman
06-28-2004, 09:03 AM
IMO the 113HSP is good for both lead and wire You need a pretty big spool for lead. Keep in mind lead is only good in pretty shallow water (30' or less)as it does not sink quite like wire.

I respooled my wire this year with that Malin marked Monel...so far so good. Not cheap but it is not springy like ss and is nice and soft. I was worried about kinking but is seems OK so far...

WLaMarr
06-28-2004, 09:05 AM
I am using marked monel as well on the 113HSP and I love it. Haven;t had any kinks or snags yet. It is amazing. I would rather not shell out for a new 113HSP just yet. I would rather pick up something cheaper just to spool up with lead a give it a try.

Mr. Sandman
06-28-2004, 09:07 AM
You can use something else just make sure you have the capacity like a 113. With wire you really need the HD metal spool

Sweetwater
06-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Since lead core doesn't "puff up" like 50 lb test wire can, I think you can be go with a wider range of spool dimensions without a problem. I happen to have a set of old Penn 49's (1980's era) that are in great shape that I use for lead core.

thefishingfreak
06-28-2004, 03:42 PM
i use penn 320gti's and 330gti's
anyone can pick it up and use it, got the levelwind on it so you don't have to worry about people forgetting to levelwind 'em.
a 330 will hold a 100 yard spool of 45# test perfect with 50 yards of backing.
the 320 holds about two colors less.

B-assman
06-28-2004, 03:44 PM
I've got the 320gti as well - Perfect IMO for leadcore

ProfessorM
06-29-2004, 11:54 AM
I use a pair of Penn Jigmasters. Have used them for years. They are cheap simple and dependable. In my opinion the 113 Penns are too darn heavy. The jigmasters are light and can handle any size fish. Besides you are in a boat you can always go after the fish. You can buy them on E-Bay for around 30 bucks used. Try and get one with the steel spool though. The aluminum spools will corrode in one season. Unfortunatly they no longer make the steel spools so you have to find a used old one. I use custom rods but any good boat rod will do. Use the carbide guides though the leadcore can wear into a soft guide. You really need a couple leadcore setups because a lot of times, esp in Cape Cod bay, the fish are not as deep as one might think. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. P.M.

jim24
06-30-2004, 09:37 AM
i have a 113hsp i use for only wire line....i like the 320gti for lead core. I don't use roller tips. I've heard (but haven't experienced) a problem with the line coming off the roller and riding down onto the side of the roller or on the edge fraying or weakening it. Still IMO the 113hsp is best for either.