View Full Version : Tuna

devils fiddle
06-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Its time to start thinking about tuna;) . There coming in close, soon. Very soon.
enjoy.

06-29-2004, 07:07 AM
devils- let me know when they are really close :)

likwid
06-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Tuna don't come close.

Never
No tuna. :D

06-29-2004, 08:45 AM
likwid- Are you sure? lol

Fly Rod
06-29-2004, 09:31 AM
:) A friend of mine had a tuna charter the other day and was skunked!!! He generally does pretty good with 3-4 for the summer!!!

The stick boats up here aren't doing all that well up this way!!!

Alot of the general quota fellas up this way will be chunking in July!!!

If the bait fish come in, the tuna will be in!!!

I think that the herring boats play a big role in keeping the tuna away gobbling up the herring!!! :smash:

Lidwik!!!

You should do more research about tuna and there migrations etc: and talk to knowledgeable people!!!

S-Journey
06-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Giants are around, just depends where your "around" is:-)

Might try to go stick one of those sunning beasts this weekend.

sportsman
07-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Well there's no problem findind them they'll be next to the 25' great white! LOL:fishslap: :fishslap:

likwid
07-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 179
likwid- Are you sure? lol

Yep.

I told em not to.
Paid em off etc.

I'm in with the tunamafia.

Fly Rod: :rolleyes:

S-Journey
07-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by sportsman
Well there's no problem findind them they'll be next to the 25' great white! LOL:fishslap: :fishslap:

let's keep this place friendly men.

Squid kids Dad
07-07-2004, 10:06 AM
:hs:

S-Journey
07-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Squid kids Dad
:hs:

:gorez:

Mr. Sandman
07-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Heard a positive report from a fellow who went to the canyon...but thats out of range for lil ol me. I need to hear 5-10 mi so of Nomans before I will go for it.

likwid
07-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Sand: wait. :D

figure they're movin about as fast as the bass were this year...
so give it about 3 degrees. :hihi:

thefishingfreak
07-07-2004, 11:19 AM
they were spotted on jefferey's.
big ones too.
crashing on tinker blues.
as of sunday.

S-Journey
07-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by S-Journey
let's keep this place friendly men.

Friendly sucks, I liked my response better--

Krispy
07-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Well there's no problem findind them they'll be next to the 25' great white! LOL

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Mr. Sandman
07-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey I heard you can take 2 now per trip < 73" is that right? and 1 per season > 73"

S-Journey
07-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Hey I heard you can take 2 now per trip < 73" is that right? and 1 per season > 73"

One per trip, the rules have changed...

Read on--

NOAA Fisheries Announces Initial Bluefin Tuna Retention Limits
STARTING ON JUNE 1, 2004, THE ANGLING CATEGORY DAILY RETENTION LIMIT WILL BE ONE SCHOOL, LARGE SCHOOL, OR SMALL MEDIUM BFT (MEASURING 27 TO LESS THAN 73 INCHES CURVED FORK LENGTH) PER VESSEL, PER DAY/TRIP. This limit applies to all vessels permitted in the Atlantic HMS Angling category and to vessels permitted in the Atlantic HMS Charter/Headboat category, and will be effective until further notice. ALSO, VESSELS FISHING UNDER THE ANGLING CATEGORY MAY RETAIN ONE “TROPHY FISH”, A LARGE MEDIUM AND GIANT BFT (MEASURING 73 INCHES OR GREATER), PER VESSEL, PER YEAR. No school, large school or small medium BFT may be retained on board Angling or Charter/Headboat vessels fishing in the Gulf of Mexico; however, one "trophy" BFT may be retained each year if taken as incidental catch. STARTING ON JUNE 1, 2004, THE GENERAL CATEGORY DAILY RETENTION LIMIT WILL BE ONE LARGE MEDIUM OR GIANT BFT (MEASURING 73 INCHES CURVED FORK LENGTH OR GREATER) PER VESSEL, PER DAY/TRIP. This limit applies to all vessels permitted in the Atlantic tunas General category and Atlantic HMS Charter/Headboat categories, and will be effective until further notice. For vessels permitted in the Atlantic tunas Harpoon category, the daily retention limit is unlimited for giant BFT (measuring 81 inches or greater) with an allowance of two incidental large medium BFT (measuring 73 to less than 81 inches) per vessel, per day/trip. This limit applies to all vessels permitted in the Atlantic tunas Harpoon category. NOAA Fisheries may determine that additional retention limit adjustments are necessary to enhance scientific data collection from, and fishing opportunities in, all geographic areas. Subsequent adjustments to the daily retention limits shall be announced through publication in the Federal Register. In addition, permit holders may visit www.nmfspermits.com or call the Atlantic Tunas Information Line at (888) 872-8862 or (978) 281-9305 for updates on quota monitoring and retention limit adjustments. This notice is a courtesy to BFT fishery permit holders to help keep you informed about your fishery. Official notice of Federal fishery actions is made through filing such notice with the Office of the Federal Register. For further information please visit www.nmfspermits.com or contact the HMS Management Division at 978-281-9260.

Mr. Sandman
07-07-2004, 03:22 PM
NOAA FISHERIES ADJUSTS THE RECREATIONAL BFT DAILY RETENTION LIMITS
Effective June 21 through July 21, 2004, inclusive, the daily recreational retention limit, in all areas, for vessels permitted in the Atlantic HMS Angling category is two BFT per vessels per day/trip, for vessels permitted in the Atlantic HMS Charter/Headboat category is three BFT per vessel per day/trip. These BFT must measure between 27 to less than 73 inches curved fork length (CFL). Effective July 22, 2004, the daily recreational retention limit, in all areas, for all vessels fishing under the Angling category quota (i.e., both HMS Angling and Charter/Headboat vessels) is one BFT, measuring 27 to less than 73 inches CFL, per vessel per day/trip.

S-Journey
07-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
NOAA FISHERIES ADJUSTS THE RECREATIONAL BFT DAILY RETENTION LIMITS
Effective June 21 through July 21, 2004, inclusive, the daily recreational retention limit, in all areas, for vessels permitted in the Atlantic HMS Angling category is two BFT per vessels per day/trip, for vessels permitted in the Atlantic HMS Charter/Headboat category is three BFT per vessel per day/trip. These BFT must measure between 27 to less than 73 inches curved fork length (CFL). Effective July 22, 2004, the daily recreational retention limit, in all areas, for all vessels fishing under the Angling category quota (i.e., both HMS Angling and Charter/Headboat vessels) is one BFT, measuring 27 to less than 73 inches CFL, per vessel per day/trip.

Sandman, where did you find that? Didn't see that on the site.

What about commercial in the general cat, still one or back up to two?

S-Journey
07-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by S-Journey
Sandman, where did you find that? Didn't see that on the site.

What about commercial in the general cat, still one or back up to two?

Nevermind, just found it, right under my nose--

beachwalker
07-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Funny fish have been caught south of Nantucket as of this Monday. Bonito

likwid
07-08-2004, 11:55 AM
BOOOO NEEEEEEE TOOOOOOE

:D

bassmaster
07-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by beachwalker
Funny fish have been caught south of Nantucket as of this Monday. Bonito
hooter happening now:confused:

Mr. Sandman
07-09-2004, 09:12 AM
I think the hooter is gone! I was out there a week and a half ago and couldn't find it! Maybe its just me but I know where it "should" be. It was a little hazy but I couldn't find it. Perhaps the ice this winter.
I have seen the big cg buoy tender racing all around. I think they are re-setting some markers. I do know that several of the markers between MV and ACK are out of place (at least according to my latest 5/04 C-MAP charts.) but not that bad.

devils fiddle
07-12-2004, 04:02 PM
the fish are here, bigtime. fished the last three days with double digit hookups south of montauk and a little further east. fish to 65 pounds. 800 line south look for the macks.
:happy: :happy:

Fish On
07-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Wow, guess I should have gone south further. Trolled Cox's Ledge today from teh east east end to the west end and caught nothing but bluefish.

Were they all school bluefin? Any yellowfin? Trolling or chunkin?

Thanks!

Iwannakeeper
07-16-2004, 03:53 AM
bump......anyone getting footballs, bones or false-albies yet with any regularity yet?

What about from shore?

-IWK

Iwannakeeper
07-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Again....I do not have a boat....but do plan to charter as soon as they are getting close.

I ask, because I have no way to get out there and check fo rmyself, since there is no boat.

MakoMike
07-16-2004, 06:30 AM
Schoolie bluefins are being caught from Montauk to the dump along the 700 line.