View Full Version : Chum Extender

Fish On
06-29-2004, 11:35 AM
I've been collecting chum for an upcoming shark tournament. I'm going to be grinding it (unfortunately by hand) tomorrow night. I have probably 15 gal. worth but would really like to have 30 gallons (2 day tourney). Any thoughts on stuff I can add to turn 15 gal. into 30? I'm thinking about getting a big box of oatmeal. Sawdust also came to mind though I don't have any of that either. I already have 2 gal. of menhaden oil, glitter, and a 20 lbs of sand to add.

Anyone know where I can pick up 15 gallons of fish guts? I checked 2 local fish markets but all their fish come in gutted/headed and there really isn't much left.

jugstah
06-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Would a local supermarket help with their cut fats? from trimming meat etc? :)

Team Rock On
06-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Most tournaments forbid chumming mammals (or parts of them).

Fish On
06-29-2004, 04:13 PM
yup and tht is the case here as well. Thanks for the idea though. Others? Comments on sawdust or oatmeal? Sources for fish parts? Thanks!

thefishingfreak
06-29-2004, 04:17 PM
go buy a tote of herring for 20 bucks.
that will make fine chum.

Mr. Sandman
06-29-2004, 05:08 PM
See if you can borrow Vans' "PowerGrinderII", this is a similar unit that Tony Soprano's guys use. Will gind up anything quick.

As far as extending, I would add sand, and get some bait fish from the dock....herring a couple of flats of bunker, add bunker oil and milt, and if they allow blood, visit a slauter house and get a 50 gal drum, run a hose overboard..a nice steady stream will go a loong way. Blood mixed with sand is great for bringing them to the boat but is considered unsportsmanlike:confused:
monster shark in OB?

Fish On
06-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Where can I get a tote of hering for $20? I would do that in a second especially since they grind like butter.

Van's power grinder.......Soprano hotel.....go in whole come out in little pieces. Would love to but I couldn't even ask. Besides I have 2 able body crewman that are just dying to show their 5 D's for this tournament: desire, dedication, discipline, determinination, decrank!

Yup OB Monster Shark! Got a house for the week. Hopin to have some fun.

thefishingfreak
06-29-2004, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fish On
[B]Where can I get a tote of hering for $20? I would do that in a second especially since they grind like butter.

http://69.93.108.13/StriperTalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16109

Mr. Sandman
06-30-2004, 06:36 AM
FishOn...
What is the name of the boat?...I will swing by and say hello.

Fish On
06-30-2004, 07:25 AM
Boat's name is Current Plans but unfortunately I don't have the name on the boat yet. Also, there are no slips or morings available so I'm actually trailering the boat over on the ferry and putting it in and out everyday next to the East Chop Harborfront Appts. Do you live nearby? Would be very nice to meet you. I'm staying at #10 Dreamer's Way.

Mr. Sandman
06-30-2004, 07:39 AM
PM'ed ya.

Fish On
06-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Just ground up 30 gallons of kick&*% chum! It's in the freezer right now getting hard for the tourney. Blended 1/2 macks and 1/2 herring with menhaden oil, sand, glitter and oatmeal.

Let's hope for good weather! Knock on wood.

Iwannakeeper
07-01-2004, 03:01 AM
Good Luck Fish-On. I am only jealous I am not going with you.

taJon
07-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Can you give me a general area in order to find some Blue sharks? I am planning a trip on saturday out of Gloucester and just wondering where there are some good areas. Last year I tried over at one part of Jefferies and had no luck, thinking I might try Stellwagon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

thefishingfreak
07-06-2004, 09:57 PM
i think it's too soon for productive sharkin' up here just yet.
wait till mid august untill you set out strictly for sharks.
sept. is a sure bet.
s/e corner of jeff's is a good spot but you'll have to drift arround the tuna chunkers{they don't like sharkers}.
stellwagen bank,= no.
gotta go at least five miles east to get into good shark water.
mike

taJon
07-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up, could've been really unproductive again. IS the 5 east of stellwagon or jefferies or somewhere esle? I've only tried this one other time, and I'm really more interested in just seeing the sharks than trying to catch a huge one.