View Full Version : BI Tips?

Jaiem
08-14-2001, 02:27 PM
I'll be heading up to BI in October and want to expand my "range" of places.

I've put in time at many spots like Black Rock and Snake Hole, Grace's, Dories and SW Pt, and of course the CG station. Now I want to broaden my horizons into places like Settler's Rock (to the South/right of the parking area), Mansion beach, SW corner, the Old Harbor jetty, Schooner Pt. etc.

Any tips for fishing these places (tides, lures, structure etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JohnR
08-14-2001, 03:23 PM
Depends on alot but I would be at three of the one's you mentioned and depending on the wind - one other ;D . Eels and eelskins, needlefish and teasers.... You'll be throwing the long wand a fair amount anyway, right? Even better - I'll meet up with you on island for a night ;D ...

I was hoping to have a small group go over (around now actually) but between too much to do and being sick :'( I just can't get anything together... I was hoping to go over Friday night as the club I'm in, NPSFA, has there annual banquet on the island Saturday. It would just suck to have to fish all night and go to a banquet in the morning :P

08-14-2001, 03:32 PM
I have had my luck from the Lighthouse on the backside of the Island to the SW Buoy. Trolling tube-n-worms produced nice bass, but recently it's been almost all bluefish! I troll in 35-45' of water.....

Jaiem
08-14-2001, 03:40 PM
John R (08-14-2001 16:23):
Depends on alot but I would be at three of the one's you mentioned and depending on the wind - one other ;D

Care to elaborate a bit more? ;)

JohnR
08-14-2001, 05:58 PM
;D

chris L
08-15-2001, 07:43 AM
BI !! Im available for a night trip next weekend or the weekend after that !!

Jaiem
08-15-2001, 07:49 AM
BTW, last year I saw a guy fishing early one morning under that little bridge just north of town (not the one that's just south of Paynes, though that looks fishy too). The one that cross over the marsh creek of salt pond.

I can see it being a good spot in the spring, but how about in the late fall??

JohnR
08-15-2001, 08:06 AM
I know a little bridge but not sure if it's the same one yer talking about... Jaiem, when I do a little more scouting (hopefully), we'll talk about that other spot in the near future - certainly before your trip...

Jaiem
08-15-2001, 08:53 AM
Thanks John! :)

That bridge is a little white bridge on the left (West) side of the road as you head north towards Settlers Rock. It's just a little up past the gas station.

CowHunter
08-16-2001, 12:43 PM
Jaiem, You have to put you're time in on the island...There are no set rules and the fish can be at any given spot. As far as tides go, its bass fishing. I have had fish there when people said they were not there on that tide....You want big fish, I have taken all my biggest on live eels, you want numbers and MAYBE a large, go with plugs....

Jaiem
08-16-2001, 01:32 PM
Hi Cow.

Yes, I know about putting time in. NTL, we both know some areas are better on one tide than another or with a certain wind or a certain color plug, top or bottom water etc.

Just looking for some tips. :)

JohnS
08-17-2001, 08:27 AM
Jaiem, here are my tips. Try a pink needlefish.
I know not much of a tip, don't rule out ballards jetty, you might find a billion albies there. Also this is my favorite tip of all,
don't take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time when going to bed! :)
Good luck,
JohnS

JohnR
08-17-2001, 08:59 AM
Don't eat yellow snow.... Which side is Ballard's on? I'm wondering if it's the same place which goes buy a different name...

JohnS
08-17-2001, 11:44 AM
John it's on your left side if you coming in from the ferry.

JohnR
08-17-2001, 12:49 PM
A little beyond the the breakwater - Kinda Pebbly? ;D hehehehe