View Full Version : Summer vacation in RI

Arzic Olivier
06-30-2004, 02:59 AM
Hi !
I live in Brittany, western coast of France, where I've been fishing the bass (smaller species than stripers, up to 15 lbs!) for a few years.
My favourite method is topwater plug fishing (what do you do on this forum, man !?), but last summer the weather was so warm and the water so clear that... Forget the plugs !
I've been successful in flyfishing (a few trouts in freshwater), though I still consider myself a newcomer, and would like to get into saltwater.

The high prices in Europe for good American stuff (not to name it, in my opinion : Sage, Scott...) suggest I'd get a good deal if I bought it during my vacation in August, in RI.

So a few questions :
- What kind of rods/reels do people use around ?
- Is a 8'6 ft 8 wt a good idea ?
- Where can I get a good deal on an outfit (are the discontinued Sage RPLXi stil available somewhere ? With a fair discount ? )
- What are the good "every body knows" spots to flyfish in RI, without a boat ?
- What are the successful flies to use : clousers ? deceivers ? minnows ? shrimps ?

Many thanks for your help,
Olivier

tattoobob
06-30-2004, 07:22 PM
well the flies are right, the rod to. most people here on the striper coast use a 9 ft rod but 8'6" is ok. what's 6 inches between friends anyways

now the spots thing i doubt you will get any spots out of these ri guys
but the upper and lower bay is doing good right now

bob

jeffsod
06-30-2004, 07:47 PM
The 'standard issue' striped bass fly fishing outfit is a 9ft 9wt rod but an 8wt will certainly do fine as long as you are not trying to punch 8 inch herring flies into a 20 knot onshore wind in the surf. There are so many rod and reel types to chose from there really is no majority on those items. Although the Temple Forks rods have become popular due to their low cost. I don't think there are many (if any) new RPLXi rods but you might find a deal on a used one. Saltwater Edge in RI should be able to get you outfitted. The Bears Den Fly shop in Taunton MA is not far from RI and is also an excellent choice. Both shops have websites. The Bears Den site is www.bearsden.com

Probably a good idea to send them an e-mail letting them know what you are looking for in advance of your arrival.

As for flies Clousers and Deceivers are good just about anywhere and so RI is no exception. A local favorite is the Ray's Fly. It is easy to tie and catches fish. If you come in August a white Bonito Bunny made with rabbit (zonker) strips is another good pattern to carry. Finally, one other pattern to consider is the Flatwing.

You might want to prepare yourself for some bluefish by carrying some wire bite tippets too. They are a lot of fun on the fly.

denis
07-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Arzic Olivier,

When and where are you going to be in R.I.

Arzic Olivier
07-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Hi Denis,
I'll be staying in Portsmouth from the 8th to the 31th of August, at my sister-in-law's.