View Full Version : angle and height knobs for table saw?

crashfromamesbury
06-30-2004, 11:21 AM
recently picked up an old craftsman 10" table saw.. has aftermarket knobs on the angle and depth controls for the saw..

one is ok.. the other is broken.. (part of the handle)

i was told that they have 3/8 shaft , my question is..

where can you get replacement knobs with that size shaft?

went to sears.. they wanted 25 for the original (yes thats each)..

considering i paid less than 40$ for the saw i figured i'd better

ask around before i dropped the cash for the parts..

later

crash

Fishpart
06-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Try McMaster-Carr. They have about anything in terms of hardware.

MakoMike
06-30-2004, 02:44 PM
You sure its the knob and not the shaft? I had one that dropped some piece that held the shaft in and lost one, impossible to replace. I threw it out before I moved. If its just the handle it should be relatively easy to replace, try HD or Lowes first and if they don't have it try the hardware stores.

crashfromamesbury
06-30-2004, 06:08 PM
the handle itself is snapped in half, i know the shaft and gears need a good cleaning and lubrication..

thanks for the lead on mcmaster carr.. i have been on their site before,, did not realize that they had those kinds of parts as well..

:D

i guess its called a trunion control handle.. the ones on my saw are not the same as are on the craftsman diagram, must have been replaced somewhere along the line.. not surprising considering the saw was manufactured in october of 1971..

i'll have to get the specs on it and search some more.. mcmaster wanted more than craftsman for thier crank handles.. i'll have to search thru yard sales and ebay..

gilligan
06-30-2004, 09:10 PM
a small pair of vice grips. i cant imagine that you will need to do many adjustments.(set it and forget it) height of blade and what not just an idea

MakoMike
07-01-2004, 06:31 AM
Just a thought. You could try to get a pulley wheel from an HVAC place that will fit the shaft and weld or bolt on a Handle?