View Full Version : Full Moon?

bart
07-01-2004, 11:17 AM
what are peoples' thoughts on the full moon. me personally i've done alright during the nights leading up to it. i read that Crazy Alberto article in OTW and he was saying how the fish head for deeper water. makes sense to me. has anyone had luck from the shore during the full moon phase?

Nebe
07-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Pray for cloud cover, or dunk chunks in DEEEEp water... (like where we went to last week)

RIROCKHOUND
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
What E said... full moon and not overcast I tend to stock the cookie jar and wait for clouds:D

chris L
07-01-2004, 12:22 PM
think outside the box ! use white lures and sunglasses !

bart
07-01-2004, 12:23 PM
yeah i'm debating whether i should go out tonight, but i figure anything is better than sitting at home. looks like it might be overcast tonight and the deep water places i've been hitting have fish now so...............

thanks for your responses

bart
07-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by chris L
think outside the box ! use white lures and sunglasses !

:cool:

mrmacey
07-01-2004, 12:26 PM
moon was like a big light bulb up there fish were there hitting in 14-25 ft of water when there here and eating you cant miss i dont listen to therories I just go if i catch I catch .

bart
07-01-2004, 12:49 PM
i like how you think mr macey

Young Salt
07-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Fish gotta eat sometime right?

Or do they get full moon fever? :spin:

jugstah
07-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Amen, MrMacey, amen!

Originally posted by mrmacey
moon was like a big light bulb up there fish were there hitting in 14-25 ft of water when there here and eating you cant miss i dont listen to therories I just go if i catch I catch .

MikeToole
07-01-2004, 01:09 PM
While the full moon might not be the greatest time to fish it's still more then worth the effort. I've caught plenty of fish in three feet of water on very bright night. If you can catch fish on bright sunny days you sure as heck can get them on bright nights.

The tides are bigger around the full moon so theres a lot of water movement which makes some areas better. Theres areas I fish that are almost impossible to fish on dark nights but on bright nights are easy to fish. Plus the extra low tides allow you access to sand bars that can't be walked at any other time. Here in New Hampshire the tide goes from +10.5' to - 1.4" around the full moon and at other times it's +8' to +1.3'. That extra two feet gives you a lot of extra access.

On bright moon night try using lighter colored eels. Just throw them in a white bucket for a day in the light and they will lighten up. Use white or yellow plugs.

Always remember you only catch fish when your fishing, waiting for the right light or tide or time of the year is wasting time. You want to make sure your out there at the peak times but also being out there at the other times helps.

slapshot
07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
My biggest fish come three days either side of the full moon EVERY month from May to November. I fish from a boat, so like Alberto's article says I am targetting the deeper water.

bart
07-01-2004, 01:14 PM
thank you for the in-depth response. im never one to pass up an opportunity to hit the water but presently my funds are running low so i gots to choose my nights carefully, ya dig? :)

t.orlando
07-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Bart have had good fishing in Canal on full moons, but lousy fishing on back beaches. PS. I just moved to Franklin no fishy here.

ThrowingTimber
07-01-2004, 04:23 PM
I seem to do ok on full moons:) There's always a few stragglers out there. ;)

fishweewee
07-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Fffffffffffffffffoooey. I hate full moons. :af:

cheferson
07-01-2004, 05:02 PM
The bite got better for me after the moon set on sunday ,monday and tuesday night,. The phospherescent jelly fish started to glow after the moon set too.

basswipe
07-01-2004, 05:14 PM
I do great on the fullmoon.I've never caught a monster but my best two fish(26lbs apiece)came on full moons.
MikeToole has it right.
The tide is gonna be in the woods tonight where I'm fishing.Bass
love cover.Can't wait.Heading out right now.

Clammer
07-01-2004, 05:33 PM
leaving in 15 ========rock & roll tonite:D

beachwalker
07-01-2004, 07:06 PM
2am-4:30 am :D

Mr. Sandman
07-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Try a live bait on a bright night....like an eel with a smallish hook and a long floro leader with a double uni knot instead of a swivel.

I know I know a black night is better but you don't have a black night you have shadows. Big fish can be taken on full moons. While I would hope for clouds and a nice breeze, sometimes you get clear and still.

Its called fishing...it is suppose to be a challange. ADAPT to the conditions. You can find them....

gofish...besides, its pretty in the moonlight.

PS: anyone who would rather stay home and watch TV instead of fish because the moon is out, is not worthy of memembership at this site IMO ;)

iluvspots
07-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
PS: anyone who would rather stay home and watch TV instead of fish because the moon is out, is not worthy of memembership at this site IMO ;)

:mad:

beachwalker
07-01-2004, 08:30 PM
ya
what sandman said.

if any of you don't go fishing tonight you are not worthy ! :af:

hehe :D

Notaro
07-01-2004, 08:41 PM
it isnt bright out there tonight. and also i cant fish tonight. mom said no. so sue me...im a mama's boy.:p :smash: :mad:

cheferson
07-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Cant see the moon at all tonight. Just watched the jamestown or n.k. fireworks from work, and a low cloud blocked out the fireworks that were really high up. All these doubles are killing me, i need to fish, but gotta wait till sunday night.:af:

MikeTLive
07-01-2004, 09:02 PM
picked up two eels for a some early morning fun before coffee with the misses.

was just going to go through the chin and out an eye.
using a snelled hook on 16inch leader.

What size should I use next time?
circle or J or offsetJ?

will be back to talk somtime midday tomorrow

t.orlando
07-01-2004, 09:16 PM
36in leader(flouro) with a 5/0 or 6/0 Gamu live bait works for me. 40lb Flouro

MikeTLive
07-01-2004, 09:33 PM
do you tie right on or a snap between leader and mainline?

cheferson
07-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Id go with 60lb flouro leader, had a lot of breakoffs with 30lb

In The Surf
07-02-2004, 12:26 AM
Hello and greetings to all at this site, registered a little while ago about time I say something, 7/0 Gamu circle snelled to 36" 50 lb mono with a minimum 90# barrel swivel.

Joe
07-02-2004, 02:44 AM
Just got in from fishing...big bright moon, nobody out...
Got a 30# maybe a little more........ I let it go...
:happy: :happy:
It took an eel way out at the end of a braided line super cast.
I don't like full moons....but we got a nice southwesterly flow on - a moderate sea with pretty good white water, and water temps at prime...
So don't be sad....3 out of 4 ain't bad....

basswipe
07-02-2004, 05:22 AM
Last night certainly could've been worse.Got several schoolies and a bunch of small blues.Dropped a minimal keeper right at shore which was a bummer.
All in all one of my better nights especially considering the way things have been lately.

tlapinski
07-02-2004, 06:09 AM
full moon didn't stop me and my fishing partner from getting about 10 fish last night. all keepers. dropped another 5 - 6 each. all on eels well out at the end of the cast. the trick was to cast out, give a solid 10 count to let the eel dig down to the botom in the deeper water, and then begin the retreive.

i caught my first blue of the year, too. (hi clammer) :D

bassmaster
07-02-2004, 06:19 AM
im junk:btu:

blackeye
07-02-2004, 06:31 AM
:D
j
u
n
k
:D

MikeTLive
07-02-2004, 09:49 AM
any of you out in the thunder this AM? that kept me in bed.
hope the eels didnt drown... :)

bart
07-02-2004, 10:47 AM
my buddy gotta dink, me nada. saw another person get a keeper size fish. we were throwin eels

Clammer
07-02-2004, 11:41 AM
one 18# & we went everywhere ==========but =YEA no #$%^&* bLOOOOOOOOOOOS // JR -I got the word & a Sheila sitter for tonight ========= Go east ====:rolleyes:

Slingah
07-02-2004, 12:38 PM
no fish in these parts:(
got 1 dink on my new rod though:D

cheferson
07-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Nice joe.

cheferson
07-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Going out tonight till 3-4am, cant resist it. Wanna get more large, i want my 30lber !!! Gotta be back at the work piece at 11am, i should get a solid four or five hours sleep, only two more doubles to go. HAd a skunk in the kitchen tonight. It went right under the stoves and equipment for about 25 minutes, and is now lodged in the wall as i type this. :smash: Hope the full moon brings my 30lber tonight!!!!!!!!!!!11

spinncognito
07-03-2004, 07:54 AM
Picked up a 34" fat fish in deep harbor water under the full moon at 4:30 this morning. My dad nailed a 39" 25#er in the middle of the hot sunny day yesterday in about 8- 10ft of water. Go figure.

MikeTLive
07-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Got a late start this morning so was out in the sunrise on the jetty. fun tossin them eels but no luck - tide and sunlight both against me.

The water was wonderfully calm. I wish I had brought the boat out. would have been a safe morning to venture out of the harbor.

took a spin out to the driftway and saved some folks vehicle from the incoming tide. They were spinning their wheels diggin deeper.
I twice doubled a 25' length of potline I keep in the truck. looped it over the tow hook on the front of their SUV and over the towball. with truck in 4x I slowly eased them right out.

moments later the next car over - ford minivan - gets stuck.

no tow hook on them. tried a ratchet strap hooked under neath (they picked the spot not me) it snapped after helping them loose.

4wheel dont help a darn if you dont know how to use it.

MikeTLive
07-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Goin out again on the backside of tonites tide.
I have got to improvemy luck..

Still from Scituate Shores - maybe that's my problem?

I will bring a bunch of eels, (just picked up 7) and some mack chunks (bought and cut 2 froz macs). I cut the macs into 1/2-1" thick slices. I then took the head and tail and chopped them up - still frozen - and put that into a bag and back into the freezer. I have manageable parts now.

Also my overstuffed surf bag. who knows - maybe something will work out?

Something has Got to give!!

Any suggestions??
Anyone gonna be out in this area tonite?

cheferson
07-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Got a fat 39 in last night and missed two others before i had to leave and get some sleep before work.

Nebe
07-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Joe
Just got in from fishing...big bright moon, nobody out...
Got a 30# maybe a little more........ I let it go...
:happy: :happy:
It took an eel way out at the end of a braided line super cast.
I don't like full moons....but we got a nice southwesterly flow on - a moderate sea with pretty good white water, and water temps at prime...
So don't be sad....3 out of 4 ain't bad....

Joe this wasnt the night you envited me to go with you was it?!:smash:

capesams
07-03-2004, 03:03 PM
dang dp.

capesams
07-03-2004, 03:04 PM
move over bm, ya got competition:D no boat either.:p

bassmaster
07-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by capesams
move over bm, ya got competition:D no boat either.:p
maybe next year U will see me out there crossing over Your wire in that rip bouncin sand eels:p

Hooked4ever
07-04-2004, 11:36 AM
I don't know if its the area I fish (NJ) or maybe I've just been lucky on them but I personally love to fish on Full Moons. Whether high tide or low tide, or a couple of days before or after I seem to do well.

mrmacey
07-04-2004, 12:19 PM
awsome with the moon and guess what I can see the buoys heading in.:D

MikeTLive
07-04-2004, 04:13 PM
stayed in bead with spinning head :spin:
no way was I gonna walk on the jetty with vertigo!!!

somethin in the air has had me feelin queezy for a few days now.

Just checked the eels - all 7 are just as happy as ever.
moved aside the makeshift plywood cover from their black bucket.
Poured off the slime and put 8 new icecubes wrapped in newsprint in with em.

gonna try again tonight/tomorrow morning.
any suggestons on best time to maximize probability of hitting fish?

Also, should I work a rocky area near the light, go out onto the tip of the jetty, cast into the channel, or go to a beachy area?

Or - maybe - do all until I find fish?

Hooked4ever
07-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Mike: I generally stay withing about 20 to 30 yards of a jetty on the full moon. But then again I'm fishing much further south on an island in which there are jetties about every 150 yards or so, so its hard not to fish by one.