View Full Version : A stupid mistake on my abu again...

Notaro
07-01-2004, 10:11 PM
i was looking through the drag thread that slips posted and i went to M&D and bought a tube of super lube, not spray can. i put it on my reel inside the spool and around the parts. then guess what? it spun slowler... i have done another stupid mistake, gentlemen. damn it, im an idiot who doesnt know how to care his abu...:smash: :scream2: now, what should i do?

bud8fan
07-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Drop back 10yds and PUNT!!!!

But seriously!!
take the entire thing apart!!(IN A TRAY OR BOX SO YA DONT LOOSE ANYTHING). Then clean all parts with carb or brake cleaner in a well ventilated area. Re-lube as needed! Put all back together and its brandy spanking new!!!

Notaro
07-01-2004, 10:55 PM
okay, im going to do it tomorrow. man, im so f***ked up!:crying:

Fishpart
07-02-2004, 05:47 AM
Be careful what you use as a solvent, I put a part in laquer thinner one time and it disappeared. Since then I stick with alcohol to degrease, it is not as agressive, but it works.

tlapinski
07-02-2004, 06:18 AM
i sent you a reply to your PM, but it was all full.

anyway, you don't want to soak the reel in oil. especially do not get it all over ther edgesof the spool sides and the side plates. this will slow down the reel worse than flooding the bearrings. if you have the tube of oil, put some on a rag and wipe the reel down. if you buy the spray, spray it on and wipe it down. it is only a protective coating for the reel while in storage between trips. i will oil the outside of my reels conventionals 1 - 2 times per season. obviously, the metal isn't going to absorb the oil so you only want to cover the metal parts with a light coating. most of that oil will was off while fishing or rinsing the reel off after a trip. less is usually better with conventionals.

to get back to square one, take the reel apart and either wipe it down with a dry rag to remove all the excess oil, or use lighter fluid on a rag to get it all off and start completely over.

fishweewee
07-02-2004, 07:08 AM
:laughs:

Trial and error, man, that's how you learn.

All you probably need to do (assuming you've re-assembled the reel correctly) is to flush the grease out of your bearings.

Get a small metal wire, put the bearing on it.

Blow dry the bearing under HEAT for about a minute to loosen up the grease.

Then FLUSH the bearing with WD-40 (this is probably one of the safest solvents to use...USE EXTREME CAUTION if you're using starter fluid...I'd default to WD-40).

Repeat this process two or three times, ending with a blow-dry of the bearing.

Then, get some bearing lube - Rocket Fuel (which is a fishing specialty item) or 10 Weight 3-1 oil (which you can get at Home Depot).

On the dry bearing, put ONE drop on each side.

That should work.

Notaro
07-02-2004, 09:16 AM
thank you guys, but i am afraid to take it apart and assemble it again. but im going to give it another trial again. if this focks up, im going to need a seminar for that.:( :smash:

spence
07-02-2004, 09:30 AM
You can always take it to a shop if you mess it up. I think it's good to know how to take the reel apart, you will probably be more likely to maintain it properly...

-spence

Notaro
07-02-2004, 09:44 AM
yeah, then they will love me for bring them business, spence;) maybe i will go to the sportsman's den for it.

afterhours
07-02-2004, 09:50 AM
do what weewee said to clean and lube bearings. arra's book on surfcasting details cleaning and tuning abu's.

Notaro
07-02-2004, 09:55 AM
my is abu 7400 ct bg w/o levelwind. and i plan to use big dave's bearing maintaince. how am i going to find the right tweezer for spinning my bearing?

Saltheart
07-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Went through all that rocket fuel , abec 7 , levelwind bearings , etc 6 or 7 years ago.. Forget all that. just use the stock bearings , put a drop of 3/1 sewing machine oil on each and one on the levelwind , and go fishing. Once a yaer grease the gears. Timing and rythm on the cast will get you more distance than any gimmicks.

Notaro
07-02-2004, 11:23 AM
uhh, saltheart, i have no levelwind on my reel. so i dont need to put the stock sweing oil into the levelwind bearing.

Saltheart
07-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Post was intended as advice for all. don't miss the point here Joe. The point is keep it simple , work on your ability , not the gimmicks.

Notaro
07-02-2004, 01:16 PM
okay, thanks, mike. i will do that.

chris L
07-02-2004, 01:59 PM
dont forget to put 3 large fender washers in your right back pocket and 3 pieces of tissue in your wallet .

3 in 1 and practice . your form is everything , just like in martial arts its form !

Notaro
07-02-2004, 02:14 PM
this is a hardest form to master, but ui will do it.

Notaro
07-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Russ, the carb and brake cleaner, am i looking at the canned sprayer or the tool? i didnt know what they are and checked them out at altavista.com. there are two kinds.

Toby, my PM is clean.

MAC
07-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Notaro, I'm sure he means the canned spray. I use lighter fluid as a cleaner.

Notaro
07-05-2004, 11:17 AM
i just used rubbing alcohol for cleaning oil grease out. then im going to out a little of penn muscle reel grease on the washers.

Notaro
07-05-2004, 01:24 PM
I just fixed my abu.

I took it apart and soak each of the parts in the rubbing alcohol and used the rag to clean them up. Then I apply WD40 on the parts and put a little penn muscle grease on the washers. I also followed FWW's instruction for cleaning bearings and repeated the process twice. And then I re-assembled my reel. And I tried pressing the freespool button. It's stuck again! The parts are in the reel. :af: :smash: :smash: :af: :af:

afterhours
07-05-2004, 01:34 PM
just sounds like a minor misalignment, pull handle and side cover off and inspect and slowly/carefully re-assemble. with all this practice you,ll get to know your reel inside and out.

maddog2020
07-05-2004, 01:44 PM
You got bad luck dude. ;)

FYI: DENATURED alcohol (cooking fuel) dude - NOT rubbing alcohol (that leaves a residue).

WD40 is a solvent NOT a lubricant. WD40 attracts dust !!

I know if you have SMOOTHIES you leave the drag washers DRY.

Assemble the reel w/ the free spool button pressed DOWN.

Notaro
07-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by maddog2020
You got bad luck dude. ;)

FYI: DENATURED alcohol (cooking fuel) dude - NOT rubbing alcohol (that leaves a residue).

WD40 is a solvent NOT a lubricant. WD40 attracts dust !!

I know if you have SMOOTHIES you leave the drag washers DRY.

Assemble the reel w/ the free spool button pressed DOWN.

Oh %%^%^& me, homes! Damn, I am so freaking stupid!

Thanks, man.