View Full Version : Bought a Kayak

beachwalker
07-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Well, I made an impulsive move today. Bought a kayak for fishing. Where I live most will probably applaud it. I wish it was a power boat but that is coming some day.

It's a Heritage Fisherman and I hope to trick it out with a fishfinder. Got some neat places to go out here.

Anyone have any info on a Fishfinder/Depth/Temp unti that will function ? I have the little lawnmower 12v for my live well to wire to.

Slingah
07-04-2004, 06:15 PM
well isn't that special:D

beachwalker
07-04-2004, 06:39 PM
and....?

the fishfinder ?

anyone ?

Looked at the Furuno 6". Any one know how the color is on that one ?

ahem....

Slingah,. I'm sitting here laughin to myself thinking of Dana Carvey and Church Lady :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

BigFish
07-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Boat fish don't count!:D

BigFish
07-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Congrats.....I bet that will be alot of fun! Enjoy!:happy:

MAC
07-04-2004, 07:54 PM
BW, you need to get ahold of NilsC. He fishes out of a yak all the time. He has a fish finder, GPS, and some other goodies on his. It is a sweet looking boat. I am sure he could steer you in the right direction.

beachwalker
07-04-2004, 08:53 PM
thanks ng. you are right. the rhody nils

:)

peace

Squid kids Dad
07-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Maybe you can go watch the Yankees in it...:D

Only kidding:laughs: Good luck BW

Skip N
07-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Looks like a sweet Yak! I have been considering one myself but have been worried about how stabe fishing from one is. I see lots of people fishing from them and havent seen anyone fall in the drink yet so I guess its safe! I'd be curious to get some imput how stable and safe it is to fish from a yak. Looking for some veteran yak fisherman input I guess! Keep us informed how your new yak works out for you.

MikeTLive
07-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Aside from making sure all electronics are seawater ready I would be damn sure of my balance when casting and reeling in.

We have all snagged a rock or some thing in the dark deep.
the thought of being over confident in my new Yak loaded up with new gear that is not all tied down when the snag comes loose..

tip.. tipp.dunk

take your time getting to know your boat before you load up with gear. They can be stable or tippy depending on center of gravity hull curvature and width.

Good luck!!

Mr. Sandman
07-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Nice rig...The guys that use them here kill big fish with them all the time...just last tue a 52 was caught from one. EVERY GUY I know uses one for fishing in the ocean has flipped and lost a rod plus other gear (including myself) at one time or another.
Tie everything down and wear a pfd.
I would skip a depth finder unless you can submerge it and have it still work. Besides you know every rock anyway.
Last weekend as pre dawn was approaching at squibby, I saw what I thought was a seal in the fog...nope kayaker. You need big balls to work some of the places these guys do at night.
Be careful BW, I don't want to read about a kayaker lossing it in the ACK report of OTW.

beachwalker
07-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks Sandman,,
Ya, I don't plan on using it in high wind and seas. I will always wear a PFD and I look forward to reaching some holes that are only got to by a boat.
It is amazing. One can work an area from the beach and get the occasional bigfish and assorted smalls and mids. Then you go off on a boat, 50 yds away from where your longest cast could get to from the beach and whammo. One fish after another.

The fear of the summer doldrums did it to me. That and the fact that there are some amazing spots that are safe and accessible over here.

This is me when it is windy. I haven't figured out how to keep the rods on the boat and also control my speed. This thing is either stopped or full on throttle. :D

bassmaster
07-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Yuppie fisherman cutoffer

irishcurse
07-05-2004, 08:40 PM
You're going to love it. Mine's got rodholders, gps, and ff. Haven't gone over ....yet. Somebody is having a great sale on SOSpenders can't remember who, get some. Check out kayakfishingstuff.com great site, good guys, info etc.
Tom

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 07:58 AM
there's your friggin blue fisherman. thought I might have pissed him off. He didn't care.

That is the west side of Great Point. North shore of Nansuckit in the backround.

thanks Irish.

GRH
07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
I have a Tarpon 120 fully rigged. Two flush mounts in rear a scotty up front. FF with speed and temp and a Garmin rhino two way radio and gps. I go out 2-3 times a week in the open ocean, never tipped, not even close. Sometimes surf entry and landing can be tricky. I use a wader and dry top and fished into November last year. The only draw back is wind and current. If either is too much, its too much work to fish and hold a position. I mostly troll a tube along the rocky coast, and carry a casting rod for surface action. Get comfortable paddlin before you try fishing and find a buddy. Alway wear a pfd and practice climbing back in case you do flip.
ps I cought several fish over 40 inches last year, some guys catch 100lb tarpon, sharks and billfish off them. With larger fish the yak is like a keg. They tow you around and tire themselves out.
good luck!

hooked
07-06-2004, 02:28 PM
For the FF for my kayak, I got a Humminbird PiranhaMax 20 (~$90), converted it to a portable and mounted on a RAM ball. Runs on 8 AA and can get stowed for launches and landings. The transducer sits in a PVC ring full of vaseline in the hull. I've got 1 FF and a couple boats so I can move it between them. I also didn't want to deal with installing a 12V yet.

Tether everything you don't want to lose. Rods, pliers, lip gripper, tacklebox,... I made my own by crimping phone cords, SS rings, carabiners and velcro. I've had rods get pulled from the holders while tube-n-worming and the phone cords did the trick.

I've been out in some rough conditions and haven't rolled yet. Dress appropriately. I use breathables and a dry top too and have no problem climbing back in. I'm sure I will get flipped someday.

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks again folks. I am trying to figure out the FF thing. The portable sounds like a good move. Less battery weight to deal with.

:)

bassmaster
07-06-2004, 04:43 PM
whats next a HS909S You Yuppie

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 05:29 PM
you gotta problem if I buy one ?

you're the yuppie with $500 POS VS. :laughs:

your egg is ready. cash or credit ?

Fish_n_Dive
07-06-2004, 08:46 PM
try http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/default.asp a lot of good stuff here!!!

Rappin Mikey
07-07-2004, 02:52 PM
You becareful out there. I am talking to the fish.

beachwalker
07-07-2004, 08:12 PM
:D

How you doin ?

:~) here