View Full Version : 4th of July Holiday Stats

Crafty Angler
07-05-2004, 06:59 AM
So how'd ya do?

We (me and Maddog2020 - he and Mrs MD were guests at our B&B this weekend) got into fish Thursday nite on eels under a full moon - got a pair of twins in the low teens at ******* ***** and hit a bunch of dinks at The **** **** on white bombers.

Got blanked Friday nite with MD2020 (Ray, not the wine) at the same spots, too tired to hit the ***** ****. Ray, his wife and little girl hit the Cliff Walk for a 5 mile cardio powerwalk they hadn't counted on that afternoon - (hey Ray, keep it up and you'll end up healthy if ya don't watch yourself) :hihi:

Saturday, there was a #*%$#** fireworks display where I planned to go, soo....hit ***** **** and got blanked on needlefish and eels - but so did the Iron Skillet (saw him leaving and we gassed for a while) - don't know about Tattoo, who was still trying when I left at midnite - he was further down the line from me and my old legs were too cooked to walk down to the spot he was at :mad:

Took a break last nite to have barbeque ribs with Mrs. Crafty and watch the fireworks from our deck which overlooks the harbor - they were freakin' awesome - and check out the Queen Mary II as the backdrop.

So anyone else have any luck over the Fourth?

BigFish
07-05-2004, 08:29 AM
BigFish-0 Fish-0.......I did not get out this weekend.......however getting out plenty this week!:happy:

basswipe
07-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Gonna give it a shot tonight.Between racing Sat.night and the cookoutbeerdrinkingwatchthefireworks lastnight,tonight'll be my first outing since Friday.

Iwannakeeper
07-05-2004, 09:55 AM
3 twinkies

Notaro
07-05-2004, 10:16 AM
No fish, but several quahogs at my uncle's beach. so far, my weekend sucked and my sister needed the car to party her ass off in Hyannis. Damn her.

Karl F
07-05-2004, 10:20 AM
When I went, I caught :kewl:, even working thru most of it, but thank God I'm close to the water, and can sneak out early, and late, and have a base camp on the sand :D

Saw a goddess wearin' something... (I have more material in one of my handkerchiefs) :eek: so, I guess it does pay to travel the beaches during daylight, as well!!!! :D

t.orlando
07-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Jigged Wasque Sun. 2brown sharks on wire and chutes, 1 lost 35lber on eels, 2 20lbers, and tons of blues on light stuff. Thought the 2nd shark 4 ft was going to be a really nice fish. Never heard of them hitting wire before. Also a lot of beers.

scoobe
07-05-2004, 11:41 AM
We hooked up into a couple micros but they unbottoned themselves. :smash:

bart
07-05-2004, 12:08 PM
missed one fish, sat in traffic for close to 3 hrs last night :af:

maddog2020
07-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Call me rubba legs. I don't recommend walking that far w/out bring water. ;)

We always have a good time over at your place, Crafty. :) Lots of great eats over in Newport. Way too many fine young gals walking around town at ALL hours of the day. Good gawd - a married man can get in a lot of trouble just looking!

I broke my skunk down at Nauset Beach last week with a twinky. I was happy we got some twinkies at the first spot we hit in Newport. White Bombers on a full moon do work. :) We were ready to leave that 2nd spot when we were eeling and then I got into that fish. It felt good having a fish take some drag!

RI is a small state, but its got way more variety that MA for spots to fish IMHO. Be warned: you best bring your bug juice !!!

The Dad Fisherman
07-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Decided to head out for a couple of hours before all of the 4th Festivities began. Ended up picking up my personal best, 19 lbs 12 ozs, about an hour or so out. Made My Day.

Went home and put on the finishing touches on a big batch of pulled pork for the BBQ I was going to. Spent the rest of the day eating like a pig and partaking of Margeritas at my bro-in-laws pool.

Pretty much the perfect day

capesams
07-05-2004, 04:18 PM
got to go early sat morn....about the 6th cast....26lber...went home,

MAC
07-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Yeah, yeah, rub it in. I spent about 10 hrs there over the weekend and only managed 1 rat. Oh and another fish, I did jig up a choggie too.:D

blackeye
07-05-2004, 04:53 PM
last nite I got cursed by the first cast-nice 36 incher-not another fish till close to sunrise and got a few more-all on eels

cheferson
07-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Got outta work at 12:15 am , took 3o minutes to get to the newport bridge, 30 to get over it, and another 30 to narragansett:af: :af: . Just what i wanted to do after a 15 hour day of craziness behind the line. DIdnt wet a line till 2am , got a hit on the first cast and that was it. Got the skunk the last two nights in my honey hole, maybe it dried up:confused: .

RIROCKHOUND
07-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Chef, if you're where I think you are it does that from time to time... we had a wind shift this weekend as well.....

As far as this weekend...
fluked in my skiff Sat AM... 27 fish, in 3 hours; 2 were keepers :af:
Took the rest of the weekend off from fishing, worked alot, Newport was insane with traffic et al. due to the fireworks... I left my dock at 1150 (2 hours after fireworks) and still took me over one hour to get home...

Van
07-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Tons of dogfish. Do they count ???

One keeper...33" taken by ME (not my son)....

Grilled it up yesterday for the cookout...YUMMY !!!!!
Marinated in Teriyaki for 5 hours.

Mr. Sandman
07-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Worked over the sound good for fluke on sun...zero'ed in on some doormat spots for upcomming tourny next weekend. I did manage some nice big fluke...no records but some very solid fish.
Also I have focused in on my rigs that I tied this winter that produced the best. I need to re-load this week and I am ready for action...lets hope the weather holds. I don't stand a chance (these guys will boat 12 and 13# fish) but my kids have a shot at the junior div.;)

Bass...looked for fresh territory to fish from the beach on Mon...

was a busy and fun filled weekend.

relentless
07-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Fished Peaked Hill Bar and the Race on the 4th landing several nice size bass on a family trip. Fish to 40" hit jigs on wire. Lots of blues in the mix also. Photos of recent bass trips at ww.relentlesscharters.com

I hope everyone had a safe 4th and it looks great for the coming weekend.

Respectfully,

Capt Dave Waldrip

Crafty Angler
07-07-2004, 04:35 AM
Well, the epilogue for the holiday week end -

Hit the Drive Monday nite, saw my friend Zeke at **** **** **** near ******* ***** - so I joined him for a few light hits no hook-ups, smaller fish - then we hit *******, Zeke had a low teens bass as soon as we got there on a bait tail (jig head with half an eel) - then nothing for the rest of the nite til 3 AM :yawn: We were getting hits on needlefish on the beaches earlier, small fish - that was it - it was sooo perfect too, beautiful white water, big tide push, foggy, and a SW blowing good - perfect except for the dearth of fish, that is.

So after being on a bass bender for the weekend, it's time to get to work - ON TOG :hihi:

Yup, found a new spot for wading for some big 'chinners......:tooth:

Rappin Mikey
07-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Lots of action this weekend from shore. My biggest was a seal. Only managed one 30" stripa, but many just short. Lots and lots of blues. I lost a lot of lures but found some as well (thanks Backbeah Jake!). Managed a few off the yak as well. Fun!

cheferson
07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Scored a 20lber and a 15.5 lb last night in c-town. ALso 3 40 inchers, and a bunch a lil smaller in jamestown the night before. I have been having a blast the last couple weeks!!:happy:

basswipe
07-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Crafty Angler

So after being on a bass bender for the weekend, it's time to get to work - ON TOG :hihi:

Yup, found a new spot for wading for some big 'chinners......:tooth:

Beem SLOW where you have been going.

Just got back from there and the only action I saw was to watch a rather sizable bass roll over at my bomber and that was it.Nada.