View Full Version : Best Band Ever?

afterhours
07-05-2004, 01:02 PM
who do you think is the best band ever? to me it's a toss-up between the dead and the original almans bros.

BigFish
07-05-2004, 01:30 PM
For overall influence....The Beatles......but I think Cream was a pretty awesome rock band, first of the power rock trios!:happy:

BigFish
07-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Also a huge Creedence Clearwater Revival fan!:grins: :btu:

28inches
07-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Cream (they didn't get the name by accident), and the Stones for me.

CAL
07-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Oingo Boingo

not!!

Seriously, way too hard of a question. Any of Clapton's bands would get my vote. Or Zep, or Floyd, or.........list never ends.

Thom
07-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Give me the Q best band never to hit it real big, CCR and the Beatles top my list. THomT

Raider Ronnie
07-05-2004, 08:32 PM
It depends on the type of music, but here's my picks
Hard rock Led Zeppelin
Classic rock Eagles
Pregressive rock Steeley Dan
Blues /rock Stevie Ray Vaughn
Funk/horns/rock Tower Of Power
Vocal/harmonie Beach Boys
Latin Rock Santana
Oldies/rock Beatles

Raider Ronnie

BigFish
07-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I think I like Raider Rons picks!:D

Raider Ronnie
07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
I think I like Raider Rons picks!:D

Got lots more!!!!
I play the drums and like many types of music
Jazz, big band, Reggae,Some Country, and of course Italian music !!!
Ronnie

BigFish
07-06-2004, 06:20 AM
You mentioned some great drummers in another thread Ron.....ever hear of the Grand-daddy of them all.....Gene Crupa (think I spelled it right) he played with the Benny Goodman Orchestra? You like Jazz/Swing? Can you say "Stompin' at the Savoy"?:grins: :btu:

afterhours
07-06-2004, 06:42 AM
almost forgot about zappa and the band.

theSURF121
07-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Led Zep. That is all.

fishaholic18
07-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Led Zeppelin!!!:btu:

fishsmith
07-06-2004, 08:49 AM
The Stones

JohnR
07-06-2004, 08:52 AM
http://pinkfloydhyperbase.dk/graphics/covers/darkside30.jpg

Slipknot
07-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by afterhours
who do you think is the best band ever? to me it's a toss-up between the dead and the original almans bros.

:uhuh:

CAL
07-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Slip, if you're a Deadhead try going on gdlive.com

I think they have literally hundreds if not thousands of concerts you can download for free (gets updated once a month).
Friend of mine has about 800 so far.

RIJIMMY
07-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Not to pick on deadheads, but I have a hard time even saying the Dead are a good band , nevermind, the greatest. Just a note: the ultimate musical climax of the hippy/psychedelic era was Woodstock, most people say that the ultimate hippy/psychedelic band is the Dead. Isnt it funny that the Dead played Woodstock and totally bombed, so bad that they didn’t even make the film cut?
As far as greatest, I would define that as:
Great Songwriting
Style (music)
Decent Musicianship
Strong interplay between the band
Image (this is rock and roll we’re talking about)
Longevity
Roots in the Blues
Popularity ( I know, shouldn’t juge that, but you can’t be the greatest band ever if no one listens to you)
Influence – did the band change the way rock music was played?

To me, only one band really fits all these, I’d have to say the Rolling Stones.

afterhours
07-06-2004, 03:51 PM
rijimmy- not even a good band? yeow!

songwritting: robert hunter/jerry garcia, ever LISTEN to their lyrics?

style: these could play ANY style. from acid to r&b and most everthing in between.

musicianship: jerry on guitar and phil lesh on bass.

interplay: ever drummers mickey hart and bill k. go at it?

image: ok, got me there.

longevity: over 30 yrs.

roots in blues: jerry was old school r&b and blues

popularity: if you measure in $$, they were very much so.
if you measure in following.......... fans 15 thru 70yrs.

i think they pass your criteria. for you jerry.

Raider Ronnie
07-06-2004, 05:01 PM
You mentioned some great drummers in another thread Ron.....ever hear of the Grand-daddy of them all.....Gene Crupa (think I spelled it right) he played with the Benny Goodman Orchestra? You like Jazz/Swing? Can you say "Stompin' at the Savoy"?:grins: :btu:

Of course I know Gene Crupa, he was the innovator of the double bass drum set way back in the 40s, he had his own band also besides playing with Benny Goodman,
But he couldn't touch Buddy Rich in that area, Buddy Rich also started out with Tommy Dorsey, allong with a little known singer from Hoboken N.J., (Frank Sinatra )
Louie Belson was another great big band drummer of that area.
Raider Ronnie;)

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 06:28 PM
back street boyz

:laughs: :laughs: ya right :laughs: :laughs:

28inches
07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Ron, as a drummer yourself, how would you rate Keith Moon, Ginger Baker and Buddy Rich? Who do you prefer listening to?

Raider Ronnie
07-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by 28inches
Ron, as a drummer yourself, how would you rate Keith Moon, Ginger Baker and Buddy Rich? Who do you prefer listening to?

Believe it or not, Keith Moon was a great drummer!
Very unorthodox and ahead of his time, he was for sure a 1 of a kind!
Ginger Baker was so/so in my opinion! good but not in the class of say guys like Neil Peart, John Bonham, Jeff Pocaro, Simon Philips, ect
Buddy rich in my opinion was by far the greatest Jazz drummer, maybe the greatest drummer ever!
Some other great ones,
Hal Blaine, Steve Gadd, Billy Cobham

Raider Ronnie

BigFish
07-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I saw Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson....and this was about ten years before he died.......and he was un-b-lieveable......simply jaw dropping performance!:eek:

Raider Ronnie
07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
I saw Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson....and this was about ten years before he died.......and he was un-b-lieveable......simply jaw dropping performance!:eek:

It was king of funny to watch the facial expressions he made while playing though!!!
Johnny Carson is a very good drummer also!!!

RIJIMMY
07-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Max Roach could destroy Buddy Rich, and Buddy knew it.

Jo Jones ( Count Basies's band) was a much better than Krupa. Krupa was popular because he was a good looking guy in Goodman's band. Basie's band swung harder than anyone.

Elvin Jones was/is one of the greatest. Coltranes band? 40 minute tunes and never running out of an idea? If it wasn't 4 to the bar swing, Rich couldnt play it.

Its funny you guys are talking jazz drummers and only mentioned white guys. You need to do some homework.

RIJIMMY
07-06-2004, 09:36 PM
After hours:
style: these could play ANY style. from acid to r&b and most everthing in between.

But did they play it well? Come on , I hear the Dead cover the Rascals, Good Love and I laugh out loud. An avergage bar band plays better than the Dead.. I lived with Dheads for about 6 years, and we debated this for hours. I believe the Dead have no real musical value at all. I hear no passion in their music, just some guys playing long boring solos over a few strummed chords. Compare them to their contemporaries, the Doors?, Hendrix? Beatles? Stones? Sly and the Family Stone? Creedance? CSNY? I don't think they come close. If they stopped playing 30 years ago, their music would be played occasionally on the radio. Its the culture people liked, the Dead are just background music for the party.

afterhours
07-07-2004, 05:29 AM
rijimmy, i guess we can agree to disagree. different strokes. you must be referring to bobby weir screaming in that cover. i'm sure your friends had you listen a lot of dead. maybe some people can't hear their music, if you could , you'd know. peace brother.(listen to "i know you rider?chinacat sunflower-europe "72)

zacs
07-07-2004, 08:45 AM
RI Jimmy,

I completly disagree with you.

Listen to musicianship and composition on such clasics as Terapin Station, Estimated Prophet, Help>Slip>Franklins, Dark Star, etc, etc, etc.....

Those songs are on such a higher level then anything any of the bands you mentioned have done. Those bands play 2, 3, and sometimes 4 chord songs that have a decent bridge and ok lyrics.

With that being said, when Bobby is whining/singing/scremaing Good Love, or Sat. Night, I cringe as well. I'm not a Bobby hater, Looks Like Rain is one of my favorites, but sometimes he can go a little bit over the top.

Jerry's Guitar is rivaled by few.

_z_

RIJIMMY
07-07-2004, 12:40 PM
"Jerry's Guitar is rivaled by few"

Zacs, not that this makes me any more of an expert, music is all about taste. I've played guitar professinally for over 20 years. By that, I mean I have played all over the US with many known musicians. I made a living teaching and playing. I played rock, blues reggae and funk for @ 10yrs and got heavily into jazz after that. I played in a pro jazz quartet for 6 years until about 3 moths ago.
I lived in San Francisco for 6 years, met and played with tons of bay area folks. I can honesltly say that I am not impressed with Jerry's guitar playing. To me, its boring, lacks excitiement and innovation. I have read books about him, seen shows, he likes a oot of the right folks, I just don't hear it in his playing. Its drab to me. Just my opinion.

RIJIMMY
07-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah...... you an honestly say that the Beatles, Doors and Stones have "okay" lyrics?????

28inches
07-07-2004, 05:38 PM
rijimmy, I agree with you on the Dead. To me, after a while (10 minutes max) their music just turns into white noise in the background. Musical taste is personal and I happen to find them boring, repetitious and self-indulgent, especially compared to their contemporaries. I guess some people really do like to listen to them, but I suspect a lot of their fans are more interested in the trappings of being a Deadhead than they are in Jerry's guitar playing.

redneck24
07-08-2004, 05:40 PM
PANTERA

afterhours
07-08-2004, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by zacs

Jerry's Guitar is rivaled by few.

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Slingah
07-08-2004, 06:39 PM
the Bay City Rollers:humpty:

blackeye
07-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Korn

RickBomba
07-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Me,
I like Gang Green, Replacements, Buffalo Tom...
Gotta Dead tatoo, hope it goes away soon...
Also, Cheap Trick, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden...
Maybe Black Flag, Dinosaur Jr, and Wsetern Mass favorite, the Pajama Slave Dancers.
I gotta million of them.
Later,
Rick

RickBomba
07-08-2004, 11:10 PM
PS Beasties, Beasties, Beasties!
Later,
Rick

Rob Rockcrawler
07-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Its tough to say who the best band ever is, hell my best band ever changes on a daily basis. Today is Sly &FS. I like the dead a lot, ive liked em for a long time and everytime i put in a cd or listen to al old boot i find something new that i missed before. They had the groove, you all know what im talking about. So do the Allmans, another jam band with a lot of talent, and both of those bands were able to evolve. Dave Mathews Band is another really good band. They arent a fovorite of mine but music talent wise i think they are right up there. DMB has all the right stuff to be the greatest of all time, except time of course.