View Full Version : IT must be summertime because...

chipwood
07-06-2004, 07:58 AM
there's trash all over the rocks in Newport. I fished last night for the first time in a week due to vacation plans. Before I left, the rocks were somewhat clean. I hit a few spots and boy was it disgusting. Boxes of wine, beer cans, scup rigs, squid boxes, worm boxes, and not to mention a vast amount of plastic bags. It just disgusts me to think that these people actually leave these things after they fish. Not only do we get to drive 10mph behind a New York rubbernecker, but now we get to look at all the trash the Massholios leave behind. I wonder why we don't see any Maine, NH or VT plates here in Newport. I know why because Newport just attracts people who do'nt care about their environment. I hope responsible NYers and Massholios don't take offense.

Nebe
07-06-2004, 08:32 AM
dont forget the plates from Patheticut!:smash:

likwid
07-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by chipwood
but now we get to look at all the trash the Massholios leave behind.

I'll bet just as many Rhode Island people are guilty of this as are people from MA, NY, CT, etc.

Be a little more... eloquent... in how you word things next time. :smash:

chipwood
07-06-2004, 08:59 AM
If you fish Newport almost everyday like I do or most of my friends do, the spots that are the most filthy usually have Mass plates at the parking areas. The majority of Rhody plates I see, I know who they are. Yeah sure there are probably some people who drive down from Northern Rhody and litter, but the majority of plates from Mass are at the spots that end up with the most trash. From now until the school year starts, you'll see the majority of people fishing the accessible areas are from Mass. The people who find fault with this really don't know what they're talking about. I'm sure the majority of Mass fisherman are responsible but there are a few who are just dogging the fishing areas in Newport.

BigFish
07-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Jeez Chipwood.....did they have fireworks in Newport over the weekend? I am sure they did, and if so, do you honestly believe that the only people who went to see them and left all their crap on the rocks were out of staters????:smash: Get your head out of your bass! I really love you people....."oh, it was all of the out-of-staters and the tourists"! When you go out of state to visit, should I automatically assume that you litter and leave your crap everywhere? B#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s like that come from all walks of life and all different places, even from right where the littering takes place! I am growing increasingly tired of folks like yourself throwing that general "blanket" of blame on the out-of-towners!:smash: :smash: :smash:

chipwood
07-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Eben you guys probably see more Conn plates than we do, but I've being seeing my share often. One story about litter. I used to live off the nightmare called Lower Thames aka the Yachting Village or that's what the yuppies who move to Newport call it. My wife and I were walking down the street when we saw a women with an ice cream cone attending to her 4 or so year old in her big Dodge Ram. My wife says she is going to toss that cone. Next thing you know she just throws the cone and napkins right down on the ground. We let her know it was not appreciated that she come to Newport and throw her trash on the ground. She looked at us like we were crazy, got in her truck and drove off. If they litter during the day on the street then what's gonna keep them from littering on the rocks at night. Oh and guess where they were from. Yes Massachusetts. Come on down you can be the next contestant on Let's trash Newport.

bart
07-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Go ;) yourself chipwood

BigFish
07-06-2004, 09:12 AM
One must, judged on the way folks like Chipwood think, believe that when Chipwood visits Massachusetts, that he leaves his trash everywhere also....because he is from OUT-OF-STATE!:smash:

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 09:13 AM
everyone is a slob.

doesn't matter where you from

chipwood
07-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Big fish, yeah I watched the fireworks and the spots I'm talking about you could'nt even see the fireworks. So there goes your theory of the people watching the fireworks did some littering, which I'm sure they did. I guess you don't come down this way too often. When you fish a spot for years and notice out of state plates there all the time and next thing you know the place is trashed you tend to put 2 and 2 together. Let's see Newport is a tourist town and let's see Newport is trashed during the tourist season so that must mean the tourists are doing the trashing. I don't know how touristy Abbington is? Do you guys have a lot of Rhode Islanders going up there to party or to fish?

tlapinski
07-06-2004, 09:34 AM
looks like someone has a good case of headupassitus. we have all been there at some time or another.

chipwood
07-06-2004, 09:35 AM
See that's what I'm talking about I get people giving me a hard time and they don't even know what they're talking about. How many times does a guy like BigFish come to Newport and actually see what the problem is. If he does come down he probably goes downtown, pays $25 to sip canned beer at Christies, maybe take a charter, then watches the fireworks at 40 steps , oh wait a minute the fireworks were in the harbor. Then he goes back to his home and says what a beautiful place it was. What is chipwood talking about, litter, beer cans, scup rigs it must've been all the people watching the fireworks. Don't get mad I'm just trying to figure out how you try to figure out why I get mad at the tourists.

BigFish
07-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Chipwood....do you know many fisherman who bring boxes of wine with them when they are casting from rocky areas such as you describe?:confused: No I don't fish Rhody as much as I would like (in fact not at all) I do most of my littering......:eek: I mean fishing, down the Cape! Maybe you should grow some brass ones and actually confront some of these people instead of cryin' about it!:bc:

For the record....I do confront the morons that I see doing such things....anyone who knows me will tell you as many have seen me do it! I won't stand for it! I also pick up my share of other peoples trash when I am out and about! It is like bangin' your head against the wall though, you can't teach these morons to behave in a place where they go to enjoy themselves and keep it clean for others who come after them! I share your frustrations Chipwood, it is the blanket you cast over everyone else that I don't like......must be fisherman and they must be from Mass because Rhode Island fisherman would never do such a thing! You keep on believeing that Chipwood.......boy the world you live in must be a beautiful place, imagine if you could keep all those Mass fisherman out?;)

CAL
07-06-2004, 09:43 AM
I don't know how touristy Abbington is?

Abington is the Newport of Boston's south shore :laughs:

bart
07-06-2004, 09:43 AM
i've never been to the cape before so i don't know what tourism is :rolleyes:

BigFish
07-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Chipwood....too bad you don't know me....the image you try to paint of me of me could not be more opposite of who I am! As I said I share your frustrations as I see them too.....the only solution is to confront the people who you physically see do these things and set thier a$$ straight.....or cut their sidewall.;) Your choice! Have a nice day.:D

chris L
07-06-2004, 09:48 AM
its newpot everyone drinks wine with the pinky raised ! Im from Ct and litter in every state ! Im not prejudice !

BigFish
07-06-2004, 09:49 AM
:D

chipwood
07-06-2004, 09:50 AM
I don't know anyone that drinks boxed wine while they fish but evidently there are a few because I've seen the boxes along with the squid and worm boxes to go along with it. I hear you Big Fish. I do confront people who take small fish, but it's hard to confront people with the trash issue. You just don't know if it is them or not. Most of the time you can't tell until it's too late, like the next day. People are just not listening to me. I don't mean to blanket all Mass fisherman, I'm saying that the majority of plates I see at the spots that are trashed the most are from Mass. That's all. And that someone who likes to drink boxed wine is just murderin' the scup. You just pour a little on the squid before you cast. It works every time.

BigFish
07-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Just try and catch them red-handed Chipwood, as difficult as that is and then read them the riot act! I will admit that the out-of-staters make up the majority of the idiots who do such things.....its a sad fact that the biggest percentage of the population are rude, crass, ignorant, beligerant, uncaring morons! I share your feelings as far as your favorite spot getting all polluted and trashed....many times mine are the same way when I get there.....just a sad fact of life! I try to teach my kids to be alot better than the people who do such things.;) Didn't mean to rub your raw nerve my friend.....tight lines!:D

Slipknot
07-06-2004, 09:58 AM
OK, OK off to the grumpy forum

chipwood
07-06-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm not trying to get the responsible fisherman of Mass in a tissy. The people who don't litter know who they are, as I do. I know that most if not all of the guys here are responsible and would pick up after someone else. I know that I'm probably letting off a little steam about an issue that's familiar in all communities. It's just tough talking about something that you see happening and there's really nothing you can do about it.

t.orlando
07-06-2004, 10:00 AM
"YOU JUST DON"T KNOW IF IT"S THEM OR NOT" , then don't blame them(US)

chipwood
07-06-2004, 10:09 AM
T. Orlando, let's say you fish a spot every night for a week and @ 3:00 pm you see a couple of Mass plates. You come back @ 9:00 PM to fish and you go down each night and there's more and more trash than the previous night. Who are you gonna blame. You know those Mass plates are fishing for scup or blackfish. And let's say it's a different Mass plate every night and when you fish they're gone. Who are you gonna blame. A spot that nobody but fisherman and a few tourists that are going for a walk and who are definitely carrying a box of wine or a box of squid. Yeah maybe you could take time out of your day and walk down and say something but how do you know it was them. It could've been the fisherman from the day before.

chipwood
07-06-2004, 10:12 AM
I meant a tourist definitely not carrying a box of wine.

JohnR
07-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Chipwood - it's not a Mass issue, it's not an immigrant issue, it's not something you can lay blame on one subset of society. It's a bunch of people from all walks of life and all locations that do this. Do you honestly think no Newport residents litter? OchsenSheize...

Up my way, there are rarely mass plates and most of the trash is left by the yahoos in the neighborhood.

Address the problem, not your perception - which is inconsistent - of the problem.

Sad fact is that I see as much trash from the partying teenage/college kids going on in these places, if not more, than any other subset using these public places. Sad but IMO true. What am I trying to say? Most "groups" can be singled out as the root of the problem when the problem really goes a lot deeper...

Fishpart
07-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Problem is much deeper than where people live. I live on a dead end road with a golf course at the end. I pulled three full wheel barrel loads of trash out of the woods in front of my house on both sides of the road this spring, 90% was bottles and cans. Guess what more than 80% of the people who use the golf course are from less than 10 miles away. It has nothing to do with the race or what state people are from, PEOPLE ARE PIGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You clean up after them and tell the ones you catch not to litter and you set a good example and teach your kids not to litter and recycle what they can.

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 11:02 AM
I agree John. The majority of bottles, cans and booze crap is from underage partiers. It is terrible what it looks like after they are done.

the amount of flotsam that shows up on the beach is incredible. More balloons than a friggin carnival.

I am going to kill them balloon sellers. I hate them. They are bad and are responsible for all the trash on the beaches. :af:

MikeTLive
07-06-2004, 11:03 AM
next time you see folks fishin near trash, ask them if they would help you do some cleanup. Tell them some slobs keep trashin the place and if they wouldnt mind helpin you out you wouldnt mind pointin out a few spots.

give them a real connection with the ecology - what effect does the trash have on the fish? the air? the sand?

I bet they would love to walk barefoot in clean sand.
remember the hypodermics that washed up back in the 80's?

Remind them how much public access is being lost every day due to closed minded folks who blame the out of staters for everything.

Make all your points but not at them. Ask them to help out so that when you go to the next town meeting you can say firsthand that they should keep the access because you have seen that some of the people do care.

If they laugh at you or make a bigger mess, take down the plates and call the state. There are littering fines and they are large. Bring a camera and document the mess - so you can show that you are making a difference.

chipwood
07-06-2004, 11:04 AM
John I'm not making this an immigrant issue , I'm stating I see that people from Mass that fish for scup/blackfish are depositing a lot of trash on the rocks. I don't know where you live but I'd say that majority of fisherman from Newport are responsible fisherman. Alot of the guys that chunk clean up after themselves while the others just plug ( meaning there's not much trash generated plugging) Your argument about partying college kids is moot. There really isn't too much partying going on along the rocks like it was in the late'80s or early 90's. And even if it was happening the time when they would be partying is in the winter. I fish almost exclusively in Newport and I rarely come across teenagers partying on the rocks. And I'm out there during the times when most kids would be partying. Trust me I know all the party spots because I was doing it back in the day.

likwid
07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Unless you follow them back to their cars every time... don't say its always MA people.

chipwood
07-06-2004, 11:15 AM
As far as Newport residents and littering goes, I'm sure many people who reside in Newport litter, not anywhere though on the scale you see in places like Cranston and Providence. Newport is a fairly clean city except for maybe Lower Thames @ 2AM on a weekend and certain public access points to the water. I'd like to say I know a fair amount of the anglers that I see out on the rocks and the majority I can say don't litter. That does'nt mean that some people don't litter. One must remember that Newport's population goes up by alotduring the summer, I mean alot, meaning there are a lot of people coming from somewhere that don't come from Newport. Newport is an extreme tourist spot. People mentioned the Cape. I bet the trash issue is greatly heightened during the season of the tourist and the majority of trash probably comes from the tourist there too.

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 11:17 AM
tourists are trash

bassmaster
07-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by beachwalker
tourists are trash
yeah so stay over there in You sissy yack:laughs:

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 11:39 AM
that's right I will stay over here. AWAY from the trash.

you fairy capeboy :laughs:

likwid
07-06-2004, 11:45 AM
beach lives on a glacial deposit :D

Nebe
07-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Chipwood, I gotta tell you something. If it burns you up so much, get involved in trying to either educate people who are littering, or try picking up the trash.. Its far more easier to spend a few minutes putting trash in a bag than it is to spend hours if not days fuming on the bastards who left the trash there.
If your a member of a fishing club, get the club motivated to do a beach clean up...maybe become a big brother and take a bunch of kids from Tonomey hill or Park Holm out on the rocks for a day of fishing and trash picking...Maybe start a thread here on the board for a 'Clean up Chipwood's secret spot day'

You'll feel alot better about it, and putting the blame of 'massholios' only makes you look foolish.

RIROCKHOUND
07-06-2004, 12:46 PM
LikWid,
BW ain't alone
so do all the cape guys :eek:
And we So-Co guys fish off them quite a bit...
And BI, and MV... it's all glacial....

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 02:16 PM
ya Likwid. Get your shiite together. Jeez :laughs: :laughs:

and those places are way better to fish anyway :)

likwid
07-06-2004, 02:41 PM
beach: what is it then? refuse from BM? :laughs:

bassmaster
07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
:bshake:

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 02:51 PM
constant refuse :sick:

likwid
07-06-2004, 02:53 PM
hey BM.... i bet beach will turn into an arch nemesis of both surf casters and surfers....

those idiots in yaks who try to "surf" in em and run people down.

6oz trebles here i come! :angel:

chipwood
07-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Thanks for cleanup my secret spot, that was a good one eben. I relly don't care if I look foolish. I'm not here to impress others with how many fish I catch or how good the paint job on my plug is or look at me I know so much about fishing I must be cool. True, I'll get on the threads and mix it up, but the point is that the fishing areas are overrun with trash be it Ocean Rd in Narry, Ocean Drive in Newport or most public access points in Southern Rhody. All I'm saying is that the majority of that garbage comes from people not from the area. The rocks in Narry may be different with kids partying but in Newport it's from the out of state fisherman. Now if you take that as me calling you the culprit then that's on you. I'm not implicating anyone here.

chipwood
07-06-2004, 03:56 PM
I have one request. I know there are a few Newport fisherman. Let's hear from them and see who they think contributes to the trash issue at the public access points. Out of state fisherman, locals or teenage party goers. Please don't take out of state fisherman as all people ( possibly people from this board). Think of it as the boxed wine drinking crowd that come from out of state on the hunt for scup. I hope that's better for the easily offended.

bassmaster
07-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Chipwood, if any of this is directed at Me
just say it.
where is wee wee when I need Him:laughs:
beayotch walker is a tourist:laughs:

Slingah
07-06-2004, 04:10 PM
u been drinkin bOXeD wiNe Chipwood:confused:
slow down ......people s**ck everywhere

chipwood
07-06-2004, 04:33 PM
I hear ya. I'm just getting rediculous.

Nebe
07-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Its a scup and tog thing... I dont know one bass fisherman who litters.

ThrowingTimber
07-06-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm in "Northern Rhode Island" so I must litter :D laughable:laughs:

Contrary, I wont even throw one of my butts in the sand or water, ask the guys that have fished with me, in my pockets or ziplock they go. :p

You need to put all that hostility to some creative use, focus on getting the word out etc, start a clean up. Goin' on here generalizing and basically insulting the board is not going to help your cause:D

chipwood
07-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks Timber for that nice insult. you're a real cool guy. I hope you get lung cancer. Have fun catching dinks.

chipwood
07-06-2004, 05:30 PM
I think the people who fish Newport know what I'm talking about. I did'nt mean to insult the good people of S-B. If I have I apologize even to you Timber. My problem is not with the responsible fisherman that congregate here it's with the people who don't care at all about taking out what they brought in.

Nebe
07-06-2004, 06:04 PM
your preaching tothe choir:smash:

spence
07-06-2004, 09:41 PM
John I'm not making this an immigrant issue , I'm stating I see that people from Mass that fish for scup/blackfish are depositing a lot of trash on the rocks.
I live right next to the old train bridge in Tiverton which is absolutely filthy from trash from fishermen going after blackfish. Granted 100% of the trash is from slobs, but 90% of the slobs are comprised of a single ethnic group.

This may not be the same for every trashed spot, but I would think if someone was to ever find a solution this would have to be taken into account.

-spence

beachwalker
07-06-2004, 11:20 PM
what ethnic group would that be ?

American ? ! :af:

fishaholic18
07-07-2004, 12:19 AM
I think chipwood needs to gather up and lead an SB clean up crew.
:smash:

MikeTLive
07-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by fishaholic18 I think chipwood needs to gather up and lead an SB clean up crew. Way to kill a good rant :)

likwid
07-07-2004, 09:22 AM
BM pollutes the cape constantly.

Don't get downwind of him. :D

spence
07-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by beachwalker
what ethnic group would that be ?

American ? ! :af:
Since when is American an ethnic group :confused:

-spence

beachwalker
07-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Well, maybe we should just start to think about that. :eek:

spence
07-07-2004, 12:09 PM
I don't think it's somehow improper to try to understand fully understand the a problem. I'm not labeling any group as a negative, but if a segement of a group shows a clear propensity for a behavior, it would be silly not to isolate that behavior in an effort to find a solution. May not be politically correct but you'll never find a solution otherwise.

-spence

S-Journey
07-07-2004, 01:05 PM
because the ocean is littered with idiots....

Todays boaters tomorrows floaters, and if you googans don't learn quick I will be assisting you with the floating part.

KLMulder
07-07-2004, 01:16 PM
OK I finally read thru this whole thread so here goes my 2 penny's.

I live and fish in Newport county and I would have to say that most I repeat MOST of the trash comes from out of towners. Now that being said and before you all start flaming me for it let me give you my opinion on why that is.

Some people are very responsible and will not litter no matter where they are or what they are doing. More people will not litter when they are in a spot that they go to allot but will do so IF they are in a spot that they do not go to very often ( out of town ) or IF they are with someone less responsible. Some people don't care at all and litter all the time.

If this is true witch I think it is you would as I have see more people from in my case CT and MA do most of the littering. In MA it would be RI and CT and in CT.... well you get the idea.

As to confronting people about it well I'm 6'2 but am not built like BIGFISH ( wish I was ) and could get my arse kicked.

bassmaster
07-07-2004, 02:47 PM
KL , I like You:D well said.
Chipwood, Man that reply about cancer was cold.
Your sounding like a brown starfish

likwid
07-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by bassmaster

Your sounding like a brown starfish

:laughs: :D :hihi:

castn4bass
07-07-2004, 04:11 PM
The town of Marion , a few years back, placed restrictions so tight that if you're not from town , you can't use the ramp or park anywhere. All this was due to the Rhode Island Scup fleet. They were parking on peoples property, urinating in public, All this during the wee hours of the morning, before sunup! The town finally said enough is enough. I agree with what they did, and I'm not even from that town. It's the closest ramp in my area, and the loss caused by these ignorant Rhode Islanders will never be replaced! Massachusetts fishermen, give me a break , there are a**holes everywhere

ThrowingTimber
07-07-2004, 04:36 PM
We all hate trash leavers and short takers Chip. :D You really are preaching to the choir.