View Full Version : Lathe trouble

Young Salt
07-09-2004, 01:20 PM
I have a delta midi-lathe that i get at the beginning of the year. I've only turned about 40 plugs with it so far and i'm already having trouble with it.
About 2-3 weeks ago i noticed the belt was getting warped. as this got worse, the belt would slip 1/3 of the way off the pulley.
I bought a new belt for it, put it on, and put everything back together. I noticed the new belt was tighter that the one i had, but i figured it would stretch a bit once it was one there...it hasn't
Now when I turn the lathe on, it makes a ticking noise. I took the belt off, turned it on, and had no noise so I know it is not coming from the motor. The ticking noise is somewhere in the spindle, i'm afraid it might be one of the bearings.
Do all the delta lathes tick after awhile? Any advice on how to fix before i think about using the warranty?

UserRemoved1
07-09-2004, 07:01 PM
make sure you have the belt lined up on the pulleys correctly....it's fairly easy to jog it off one pully to one side...

Young Salt
07-09-2004, 07:43 PM
problem is fixed.
the ticking sound was the set screw on the spindle pulley. I didn't sock it down tight enough and after turning for a couple minutes was working itself loose.

Back to making chips :happy:

capesams
07-09-2004, 07:47 PM
as I was reading this I was going to tell you it's either the key or set screw,,,have had it happen on other tools....I now use a drop of lock tite on the screws...no problems sence.

NIB
07-09-2004, 09:52 PM
I live to good casts from the ocean.I don't need any locktite.:mad: if Idon't lube all my tools up they rust instantly.