View Full Version : Bad ramp day

wjm
07-13-2004, 11:24 AM
I wish I could get a consession stand for weekends...:D

BigBo
07-13-2004, 12:59 PM
:smash: I've seen that several times. They unhook the bow eye from the winch figuring they back it down, hit the brakes, and let it roll off.:doh:
Wessagussett is almost as good as Plymouth for watching ramp antics.:laughs:

BEETLE
07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
:bgi: :bgi: :bgi: :bgi: :bgi:

fishaholic18
07-13-2004, 02:44 PM
:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:

schoolie monster
07-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh its been the worst the past couple trips out. I've been on the water early hoping to get off around noon and its like an hour wait. IMO, if it takes you 10 minutes to launch or pull your boat, you shouldn't have it or you should slip it.

Its ridiculous. You get these people that literally tie up the ramp for 20-30minutes. And then the idiots who argue with the attendant about fees I guess. And of couse, there is always someone who thinks its ok to drive past the 8 boats waiting to pull out and has to be told where the line ends.

It literally takes me 3 minutes to tie up, get my jeep and pull the boat.

You want a good reality show... how about MORON TV... weekly highlights from boat ramps.

Then you realize these people are actually running a boat out there on the ocean... scary.

Fly Rod
07-13-2004, 06:26 PM
:) When ya are around the ramp alot you see many things that you shake your head at and get a few laughs!!!!

Had guided John Tutor one day a few years back!!! Well he hired me to guide from his boat a 28' grady!!! he had trailered it to Gloucester and was going to launch at the ramp!!! When I drove up he was at the top of the ramp ready to launch,a friend of his standing next to the center console!!! Told him that after I park the car we could launch!! When I turned around to look he started to back down the ramp and sure enough he already undid the hook etc. and ended up just like that picture!!! The fella by the console was a little shaken up but not hurt!!!

Van
07-14-2004, 08:00 AM
You mean thats not how to launch a boat??

Love that Wessagusset, the chit I've seen there over the past 20 years could fill a book..

wjm
07-14-2004, 09:50 AM
The scary thing was that the transom took some serious abuse both on the initial drop and the winching it back on. Raw glass along the whole bottom. about 45 mins after this happened I'm out at the gut and the guy comes flying by headed out to sea. I think I might have taken it home and had it checked out first. :hs:

bassmaster
07-14-2004, 09:12 PM
nice post, so tell Me did You help them?

wjm
07-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Yea, That's how I saw the transom.

BEETLE
07-15-2004, 07:40 AM
BM - it's either help the dimwits move along or go roundie roundie in a tight area waiting for them to load.
It's amazing these people are allowed to reproduce. :smash:

Casper
07-15-2004, 09:02 AM
I have to admit that I am one of those that take a while to unload/load and pull away from the ramp, but with a big boat (25') I 'm not rushing. It's too easy to overlook something.

Have not forgotten to put the plug in yet, nor unhook the boat too early yet.

I like the Wessagussett ramp also.

wjm
07-15-2004, 10:28 AM
BEETLE,

That roundie roundie is awful tight at low tide. On the other hand that can be fun to watch too...:D

Roop
07-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Only used that ramp once and that was this year and we were stuck behind a first timer that took a while to get back on the trailer correctly.

I was ready to back down the other side and we would have been off the ramp in under a minute but I was stopped by the ramp attendant. In hindsight, an attendant doing what they're supposed to do is a good thing.

I would hate to drop my boat or a buddies on the deck - seen that happen 2X in Bourne - ouch. :yak:

Westport Jeff
07-15-2004, 04:30 PM
At the Westport boat ramp the jet ski crowd is the worst.

The cut the line every time, in and out. To make matters worse, they feel the need to speed by, 10' away, while you are anchored up fishing.

I keep telling myself that I am fishing to relax, not to get in confrontations.

Got Stripers
07-15-2004, 06:28 PM
In 5 minutes, out 3 minutes, get the F out of my way I'm outta here.

Raider Ronnie
07-15-2004, 06:53 PM
That looks like the Weymouth town ramp to me !!!
In the Past, I kept my boat at Tern Harbor down the street from there, and when I had time to kill, I would sit at the ramp and watch things like that all the time!!!:laughs:
They have a big sign there that says (is the plug in ? )
Not too many people read it though!!!:laughs:
At the end of the season when most the marinas require you to haul out, I have been there and made some $$$
Lots of unskilled people who can't get boats on trailers , nor can they back a trailer down a ramp!!!:laughs:

Ronnie

Van
07-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Last weekend my buddy whent to launch there, There was a line and a few guys looking at the low water.
But what they were actually looking at was a guy who jumped out of his boat and sank to his waist in the mud.
They tried everything to pull him out, but he just kept sinking deeper. Finally the attendant got a 1/2 sheet of plywood that was at the hut, threw it to the guy then pulled him out like a sled.

WHERE IS A VIDEO CAMERA WHEN YOU NEED ONE ?????

Raider Ronnie
07-15-2004, 07:09 PM
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: