View Full Version : football tuna, bones and false-albies

Iwannakeeper
07-16-2004, 04:17 AM
Well all, I am new to fishing, but one of my goals is aside from big stripers, big blues and even some doormat flukes that I am beginning to target. one of my biggest goals is to hook onto a freight train from the surf.

I was going to head down to RI and try to see if I could get anything from shore.....figured, since I have never fished RI waters, I could maybe even hit some blues and stripers.

Maybe RI will change my luck and get me my keepa'

Or if the MA waters are also getting them, that would be ok too.

I know it is awfully early for them this far North. But I want to start getting ready and buying the correct tackle for them.

I also think this is a very interesting topic and I assume there are some people like me that want to know some of the basics behind these oh-so-elusive fish.

1. What is a recommended setup for Rod/Reel? I really want to know what is the lightest setup someone would recommend. "I think we are going to need a bigger boat." But in all seriousness, I think I might need a bigger outfit. I have a Penn 5500SS on a 10 ft heavy action rod. I also have a abu 6500TCST on a 7 ft med-heavy rod. Both of these setups are currently holding 17 - 20 lb Mono, so capacity is not maxed out with braid. I can load up a ton of braid on the Penn. I am new to conventional, so I am not ready to put braid on my conventional outfit yet.

2. Terminal tackle. What do you guys recommend for leaders? Shock leader, big floro carbon, wire leader, etc. then lengths and stuff.

3. I obviously do not want anyone to burn spots - while I would happily take them via PM ;) :D. But some broad type recommendations would be great - outer cape beaches, RI breachways or jetty's, etc.

4. what do you recommend for lures/bait?

5. I would imagine these guys like a fast retrieve as well?

I hope this is a lengthy and interesting thread for everyone. Maybe even make it FAQ/how-to thread.

leptar
07-16-2004, 06:15 AM
the 5500SS with handle them ok,,, i dunno about the abu 6500 but i've also done well with a calcutta 401 but that was with braid.....

switchig to braid will help you incase you get a true football... on the shore a 10# albie or bonita is no joke.... 30# braid would be the min for me.... make sure you wrap a good few tight turns of mono on the spool so the braid won't spin on ya...

as far as leaders go... the longer the better... the lighter the better(use better judgment)... try to use a line to line knot.. (braid to leader.. avoid the swivel if possible...) if your going to use spro.. carry a flat black magic marker with ya as i have had them wack the swivel before.....

3' of leader is good fluro for them bright sunny days.. regular mono for overcast... good idea to bring both.... don't use less then 25# leader and 50# max..... I did the under 20# stuff.. it works on the boat but not on the shore.... (i've given them plenty of lures)

Albies once hooked pretty much always swim for bottom... like a tog but with some serious speed... bonita will stay subsurface but like a torpedo swimming to no-where...(Don't keep a loose grip on your rod.. If your not paying attention..... bye bye pole.. i've seen this happen and almost once fell victim myself) I know where a st.croix ben(d) dover with a staal 150 were laid to rest

as far as lures go.. kastmaster/tins/deadly #^&#^&#^&#^&s...... I've found bombers to work great too... my favorite is a 3.5 oz polaris with hooks removed... 30" piece of 40# fluro and a big deceiver fly attached to the back.... color the more natural the better.. watch their speed... their moving work the lure hard.. if they are kinda stationary.. a few twitches will entice.. if you don't get wacked in the first 2 casts change rigs....

bait.... chunked mackerel... small pieces of menhaden.... squid...

on bobber I like to use a 3/0 nautilus hook...

If they are crusing fast a fast retrieve will work... if they just searching erratic retrieve will get their attention....

Bonita are the ones with stripes that run horizontal and have a longer look to them...

Albacore have a more football look and have the mackerel pattern going for them...

with both if you intend to keep... bleed them and pack on ice ASAP... albies have a stronger taste.....
I personally perfer bonita.. but both are good baked stuffed...

sorry if this is sloppy i was never a writter..

ooh another thing that is good.. darter.. remove the rear treble and replace it with a leader and big deceiver fly keep the leader short and hold on

They usually show up when they feel.. sometimes late july.. mid august.. late august... I think they just follow the currents and bait fish....

I just looked back at this post... eesssshhhh

good luck

beachwalker
07-16-2004, 06:19 AM
and don't forget to pick up some extra anti-reverse stops for the 5500, They will strip on you first good fish :crying: :crying:

MakoMike
07-16-2004, 06:25 AM
If you catch a true football, aka a small bluefin tuna you have to let it go ASAP. It is illegal to keep bluefin tuna, unless you have a NMFS permit and they only issue permits to boats. Its o.k. to keep bonita and little tunny (albies).

jettyjockey18
07-16-2004, 07:01 AM
i fish for albies and bones with 10# test mono on an 8-ft medium action ugly stik...these fish inshore are notoriously line shy so if you go with braid use a fluoro leader...

i wouldn't worry about schoolie bluefins...they don't come inshore with any regularity and the chances of landing one are even slimmer...striper mike caught one a couple of years ago off humarock beach in marshfield using an 11-ft (st. croix?) with a big van stall...

small tins and flies are the way to go, but sluggos and other plastic will work (if they feel like eating)...

Notaro
07-16-2004, 09:28 AM
i made a post on that last year. look for the threads here like bonito or false albacore.