View Full Version : Why Don't Players Like Boston?

afterhours
07-16-2004, 04:48 PM
the enigma of players not wanting to play for red sox still exists.( i thought it maybe went away with dan d.) what do you think the reason is?

Stewie
07-16-2004, 05:32 PM
If you put the Yankees in Red Sox uniforms, They'd probably lose. I'm a Sox fan but I think the owners aren't gettin their moneys worth out of these guys.

Surfcastinglife
07-16-2004, 11:17 PM
rofl that quote is classic "put the yankees in a red sox uniform and they would lose" ROFL!!!

beachwalker
07-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Because Fenway is a dump ?

:laughs: :laughs:

Just kidding. I don't know why. Maybe it is something in the water.

afterhours
07-17-2004, 08:16 AM
ownership?- don't think we've had strong/focused owners, you here me bob kraft?(buy this team).

media?- these sob's rip the team ALL the time, even when team is doing well they try to develope negetive issues.

fans?- best in the world! to live thru sox history and still be staunch supporters.

i think it's the DISorganization in general, they lack the total professionalism that you see with the hated ones in ny.(you think that their star players come and go as they please and miss big games? no way! )

BigFish
07-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Afterhours....what did I say in that other thread? They need a manager that is not afraid to break a few "eggs" to make the omelette!:eek: Know what I am sayin'?;)

afterhours
07-17-2004, 08:35 AM
thats what i mean't about ownership, that prancer john henry does'nt have the gonads to do anything that needs to be done.

rick burleson would look good in mgr seat.

BigFish
07-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I have to disagree with you Afterhours....when they talked of hiring Burleson the first time I felt that that would be perpetuating the problem of continually hiring, no-name, no-experience, no-balls managers! They need a Tony Larussa or Lou Pinella or someone of that caliber!:uhuh: Joe Morgan, John MacNamara, Grady Little, Butch Hobson, Terry Francona.....come off it!!!!:smash: Can you see the pattern there????:confused: These guys were all unproven as major league managers....and they came here to cut their teeth......problem is none of them had any fangs!!!!:af: Jack McKeon anyone? Thats what I am talking about....experience and guts....who cares what the players like or want! They are getting paid big money, make them earn it or get the hell out of town! Manny with another day off last night.....come on man....who is running this asylum???? Sure ain't management!:smash:

afterhours
07-17-2004, 09:00 AM
bigfish, burelson may lack experience but you can't call him no-balls. he's a firey guy. i'd love to lou or tony here but you wont, they know that the ownership would'nt stand behind them in dealing with players. this ownership is soft and coodles it's players. i think it all starts from the top, if they took a no bs attitude and hired accordingly, we'd be on our way! ya think mckeon would come back? good man!

BigFish
07-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately, regardless of the fact that he won the Championship last season....McKeon is too old! As far as Burleson goes.....where have you been watching him manage? At the minor league level? A whole different "League" in the majors....and you are dealing with entirely different personalities.....overpaid, spoiled, molly-coddled idiots! For years the biggest deficiecy this club has had has not been hitting, or pitching, or defense, or the bullpen....it has been in the managers position my friend! And the sooner they address this shortfall the better off they will be! Another guy they were considering was Glen Hoffman.....Hoffman.....another loser! I am sick and tired of training these "new" managers here......how many of the last ten managers the Sox have had have gone on to manage other clubs???? My off the top of my head guess is two.....Jimy Williams (forgot to mention him in my last diatribe) and Kevin.....whats his name that does TV sports now.....Grady Little(nope) Joe Morgan (nope) John McNamara (nope) Butch Hobson (nope) Jimy Williams just got canned again and I can guarantee you will not see him manage again, anywhere....cept' maybe where ever Montreal winds up! Don't you see the continueing pattern there? Sorry, I think Zimmer was the last decent manager the sox have had.....he went on to take the Cubs to the League Championship series anyway....what have any of the others gone on to do???? Houk.....retired.....Hobson....jail.....Morgan.... Walpole pickin' potatoes and tomatos.....McNamara....retired.....Little....litt le else!!!!!;)

afterhours
07-17-2004, 09:26 AM
as far as managers go- you're preaching to the choir!

BigFish
07-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Not only that....I made a damn good case! You can't argue with the facts....they slap you right in the face!;)

28inches
07-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Randy Johnson quote from Baseball Tonight: "I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother in Boston". You can add him to the list. What ever happened to Jim Rice?

afterhours
07-18-2004, 08:12 PM
i guess the only thing we can look forward to concerning randy is tatooing him when we face him!

28inches
07-18-2004, 08:14 PM
He's been acting crazy lately. He'd fit right in with Manny and the boys. :happy:

afterhours
07-18-2004, 08:27 PM
off subject.. you ever see a player lose it as quick as rice did?

28inches
07-18-2004, 08:31 PM
What's the opposite of meteoric?

afterhours
07-18-2004, 08:34 PM
good answer 28".

BigFish
07-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Rice's vision went on him....and if you recall....the management lost faith in him and replaced him with that super grea alligatot wrestler Mike Greenwell!:smash: Rice was and still is one of the most dominating hitters I have ever seen.:uhuh:

Squid kids Dad
07-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Rice;s attitude was in the gutter,,,No wonder he isn't in the hall of shame..

beachwalker
07-18-2004, 10:26 PM
just listen to him on NESN.

If you aren't a Sox Fan you will have NO time for him. Great Ballplayer though. Bigfish is right. A great hitter.

Squid kids Dad
07-18-2004, 10:30 PM
One reason is the NEGATIVE FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28inches
07-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Ted Williams was another miserable guy.

beachwalker
07-18-2004, 11:02 PM
:laughs: :laughs:

course i'm negative :D

afterhours
07-19-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Squid kids Dad
One reason is the NEGATIVE FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry skd, after 40+ years they made me like this. don't get me wrong, i LOVE the sox, faith may be a little shaken though.
p.s. i admire your staunch faith and hope the heck you can tell me i told you so!:)

BigFish
07-19-2004, 12:36 PM
There was no problem with his attitude SKD......management simply went with the youth movement and Rice fell by the wayside! Can't argue the guy was a vicious hitter....double plays??? Sure but what slugger doesn't hit into his share?;)

Mike P
07-19-2004, 01:13 PM
The way I remember Jim Ed Rice is like this---he hit a lot of homers when the score was like 8-2 either way, but he was Mr. 6-4-3 when he got up in a tie game, one out, runners at first and third. :(

beachwalker
07-19-2004, 02:29 PM
ya that happened too didn't it Mike.

he 's an AWFUL announcer.

Squid kids Dad
07-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Why isn't he in the hall then..The sports writters were around him all the time and they are the ones that vote...There are a lot of stories about his attitude...

Mike P
07-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey, one Boston writer didn't vote for Ted Williams, preventing him from being a unanimous first ballot selection :af:

More Noo Yawkah's feel that Rice belongs in the Hall than do Boston fans.

Tony Perez was a better clutch RBI man than Rice. He should be in the Hall first.