View Full Version : Lights/headlamps

leptar
07-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Just wondering what kind of headlamps (the ones you wear on your head with straps) do you all use if ya use them?

I just had an el-cheapo that wasn't worth the $15 bucks i paid for taken out of my truck... good excuse to replace it.. at least they didn't take my canyon bag that was on the floor infront of the seat..

Slingah
07-17-2004, 07:24 PM
leptar, I got a ray-o-vac from wal-fart 15 bucks....it's got the red light....dropped it in the drink a couple o times too.....can't beat it imo
u can get good ones @ REI or EMS but the salt kills everything anyway

t.orlando
07-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Same, going on 3 yrs

leptar
07-17-2004, 08:15 PM
thanks!....

the one i had i bought at a outdoor show.. led lamps... 9 of them.. said retail was $50... I should have known better... inside it looked powerful.. couldn't directly look at the leds from the end of 2 tables (16')... but when it came down to using it,, flood beam and a erie light that didn't really illuminate anything further then 5'...

thanks again.....

ooh 1 quick question.. how long does the light last and how far of a beam does it throw.. I have a 1/4 mile hike to my truck thru a trail thats 3-4' wide with plenty of ambush spots and skunks...

I do carry my 7-D cell mag light with me.. but i've found it hard to carry rod and eq + light can't carry heavy in my left hand since the accident.

Backbeach Jake
07-17-2004, 08:18 PM
ray-o-vac:D not a single complaint

Nebe
07-17-2004, 08:32 PM
I use a Tica plus Its small and easy to use. The key is to replace the clear lens with a red one and your good to go. I like it because you can select different brightness levels

cheferson
07-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Rayovac, cheap and sturdy!!

spence
07-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Red lens...Red Lens...Eben why didn't you tell me there was a RED LENS!!!

-spence

bluefish
07-17-2004, 10:58 PM
bought at a local b&t for $10.50! yes! that's right, a STREAMLIGHT about 1 1/2 " long and 1/2" wide with a lens that lasts for 100,000 hours and runs on 4 watch batteries for 96 hours. omes with a neck lanyard and yes, it's waterproof!!!!

basswipe
07-17-2004, 11:48 PM
I still use my Mil. issue flashlight.Its been 17yrs since it was issued and its been underwater more times than I can count.Has many different lenses including red.It might be big but with D batts it'll last a long time and its much lighter than you think.And it clips right to the wader suspenders.

5/0
07-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Wal-Mart spec. $12.97 energizer combo 2white leds brite lite & single red low lite led runs on AAA for fifty hrs.Wife bought it for me back in May & it's still holding strong.

The big thumbs up

Nebe
07-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by spence
Red lens...Red Lens...Eben why didn't you tell me there was a RED LENS!!!

-spence

you talking about when we got split up?

Crafty Angler
07-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Princeton Tec 4 AA model - real bright for dark nites on jagged rocks (hey, I'm an old phart, okay....) - you can hold it in your teeth a la Fred Golofaro...

I use electrical tape to secure a length of surge tubing for a neckcord - works really well, just wish it had a red lens filter to preserve night vision.

spence
07-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Eben
you talking about when we got split up?
I forgot what we were talking about?

-spence

bart
07-18-2004, 09:45 AM
ray-o-vac

Krispy
07-18-2004, 05:32 PM
I have the ray-o-vac and one of the big 4 AA headlamps for backup, which I used last night. Would have been SOL w/o it.

I wish the Ray-ovac threw a more powerful beam, its weak in certain situations

Joe
07-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Tec Lights (http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/Princeton.htm)
http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/StoreImages/Princeton_Tec_40_red.jpg
Buy the light and I throw in a red lens for free.....
Lens only, 3.95
Narrow focused beam, good for picking your through tough wading spots. It's a dive light - so you can sink it....I use the surg tubing like Uncle Crafty... A very good light for the money.

Mike P
07-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Those Princeton Tec lights are great. One of my better purchases (from Joe ;) ) over the winter.

Same deal as Crafty and Joe, electical tape surgical tiubing as a lanyard and hold it in my toofahs.

The Dad Fisherman
07-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Eben
I use a Tica plus Its small and easy to use. The key is to replace the clear lens with a red one and your good to go. I like it because you can select different brightness levels

Same one I have and its been good to me so far. You can get a lens kit for it that includes a clear, a Green, and a Red.

Steve K
07-19-2004, 07:50 AM
I have the Ray O Vac and 5 different Princeton Tec headlamps(w/the red lens). The Ray O Vac is great because you can switch from red, to white led, and then to incandescent but I don't find it nearly as comfortable as the Princeton Tecs and I really only use the red lens. Whatever you buy, get one with leds instead of a bulb. The batteries will last much longer.