View Full Version : finish-scaleing

stripermaineiac
07-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Whats a good clear coat that covers a glitter and won't cause scaleing

MAC
07-18-2004, 04:24 PM
I spray urethane on plug then sprinkle glitter on it while it is wet. After it is dry I lightly scuff plug then epoxy with System Three clear coat. Be careful scuffing the glitter though as it will turn to black streaks....don't ask how I know:rolleyes:

capesams
07-18-2004, 04:26 PM
I use CUREL ,,daily moisture therapy lotion,,,heals an prevents extra dry skin an drys up that shine from extra oil.

justplugit
07-18-2004, 05:25 PM
I use the spray on glitter,then add dry tube glitter while it is still tacky to add an additional color.Let dry overnight and clear coat.
Holds up pretty good ,but even the plastic glitter commercial plugs eventualy scale.

justplugit
07-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by capesams
I use CUREL ,,daily moisture therapy lotion,,,heals an prevents extra dry skin an drys up that shine from extra oil.

CS,looks like your avatar could use a brand change.:)

stripermaineiac
07-18-2004, 05:56 PM
What have you found to be a good clear coat

justplugit
07-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Mostly Environtex but on the heavy coated glitter i use the Devcon 30 min epoxy as it seems to give a thicker coat then environtex.
Alot of guys here use System 3 but i don't know if that gives a thicker coat over the heavy coated glitter.They could help.

Jigman
07-19-2004, 07:26 AM
I mix the glitter in with the epoxy. Systems three is thinner than Devcon, but you can put on a thick coat if you want.

Jigman

justplugit
07-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Jigman,never tried mixing it with the epoxy,if you use alot of glitter to cover the whole plug do you get a smooth finish?

Jigman
07-19-2004, 12:15 PM
A little glitter goes a long way. I only add a pinch of glitter to cover a bunch of baits. No problems with a rough finish. If you use a lot of glitter, you'll likely need a second topcoat to smooth things out and to have a good protective finish for the plug.

I picked up some clear createx a while back. Glitter can be added to the paint, then sprayed on. Clear coat over top of that. Only used it on a couple of plugs so far, so don't really have a feel for which method is better.

Jigman

justplugit
07-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Thanks Jigman,can always depend on you for a different and better method:D I make one plug that i call the Blue Black that is heavy glitter all around and try your method.:)

stripermaineiac
07-19-2004, 05:32 PM
The replies have been much appreciated. I'll try a couple of them. One last question on these . How do you keep the epoxy from running and sagging on the plug? I build a lot of custom rods and have to rotate them to prevent this.

capesams
07-19-2004, 06:41 PM
glitta comes in many sizes..very fine dust to big flakes. try the fine size....it's easy to cover up an still gives you the same effect.

rotate ya plugs too. do a search here for spinners.