View Full Version : Monster Shark Tourney

Fish On
07-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Didn't win anything but at least we weighted in a fish for the memmories. Fish is a 104 lb Mako.

Had a great time. Everyone was very nice and the social activities were terriffic. Lot's of great folks involved in this event.

MakoMike
07-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Not trying to break you stones, but was that fish legal? Looks like it might have been shoret to me, assuming the guy standing next to it is average height, i.e. >6 feet.

Mr. Sandman
07-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Thats not bad guys! At least you guys got some tasty stakes out of that fish.

How were the seas?...I thought of you when the bigs gusts came along...:)

Considering you were probably the smallest boat in the tourny and were up against some real pro's I think you did a respectable job. I was down on Fri and saw a 485 theasher but missed the Sat weigh in. What was the winner?

I think it has to be 200# to weigh in for the tourny but you can certaily keep it...
From NOAA web site:
Atlantic sharks
• Allowed species: 1 shark (any species that may be kept) per vessel per trip with a minimum size requirement of 54" or 4.5 feet fork length; plus 1 Atlantic sharpnose shark per person per trip (no minimum size); plus 1 bonnethead shark per person per trip (no minimum size)

I saw the prize...30' fountain CC with twin big mercs ...not bad!

BTW...did you see any tuna on the surface? :)

Team Rock On
07-19-2004, 09:43 AM
The seas were big on Fri. About the only thing I saw was saltwater spray on the way out. The water temp. went from 60-67 out by the Star/Fingers area. WE managed a 164 lb. mako on day one and my girlfriend lost a big blue shark at the boat (muscles me pulled the hook out once I got the cable leader). We had a ESPN camera guy on board so at least the fish story was caught on tape.He had the Shark Cam in the water under the boat and estimated the fish to be around 12'. She'll have to wait till Sept. 28th to see the show as he wouldn't let us view the feed on his video cam screen. Sat. was a little calmer but the fishing was a little slower by the radio blabber. Ending was dramatic as the apparent winners were celebrating when a boat came in in the last few minutes with a 540 lb. thresher to win the tourney, which could be a new state record. Lots of big threshers caught between 3-500 lbs. Now to figure out how to just target threshers for next year?

Fish On
07-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Fish was about 5' 2" fork length, well over legal.

Had a blast. Seas were big but mostly rollers so Sat. was quite comfortable. I went with the weather predictions on Friday and headed north through the canal into Cape Cod Bay over to Stellwagon. Big mistake. Seas were rough and getting rougher every hour as we were blown further away from our trip home. I pulled the plug way early (around 11:30 am) rather than take the chances of staying out there longer. Crew was certainly disappointed, but I have to think of safety first. Saturday was a mcuh better day down at Cox's Ledge. We got back real early on Friday so at least we got to enjoy the festivities fully and watch the weigh-in for that evening.

MakoMike
07-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Fish,
Congrats on the fish. I guess the guy standing next to it was taller than I assumed.

Fly Rod
07-19-2004, 05:19 PM
"Congradulations on your catch!!!!" :happy: :happy:

The boat with the Thresher was the "Cookie Two" fishes for tuna out of Gloucester!!!;) :cool:

Fish On
07-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Sorry Sandman,
Didn't see any tuna either day. Though I did hear that there are school bluefin from Montauk through the south side of the dump. Still quite a ways out.

Rip Runner
07-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Saw a couple school bluefin at the southeast corning on Friday, but nothing worth chasing. Saturday I was at Gordon's Gully, no tuna at all, but I did have some jerk fishing in my chum slick all day.

2:00ForHooking
07-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Rip Runner,
Missed you at Gordans Gully this past weekend but we did run into this 464# Thresher. The Fork legnth was 96 inches with and additional 8 feet of tail.

sportsman
07-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Ouch!! Would you like me to straighten the knife.:hihi: :hihi:

Fish On
07-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Haven't seen Gordon's Gully on my charts. What is the lat/lon if you don't mind?

Nice fish!

Rip Runner
07-21-2004, 11:13 AM
I know you did Chris, great job. We should try to get back out there soon.

2:00ForHooking
07-21-2004, 01:07 PM
It's okay, we're buds.

RR, How about Friday, or Saturday, or Sunday.

Gordan's Gully is about 17-19 miles southwest of the hooter. Any captain Harrys chart will show it. I dont have the lat.lon here in the office.

Rip Runner
07-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Saturday just opened up for me, if the weather calms down a bit, we can take my boat, but we'll have to stay in a little tighter. I wouldn't mind going after yellowfins as well.

sportsman
07-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Rip Runner I may be out that way over the weekend so if you make it out give me a shout.

Rip Runner
07-23-2004, 01:09 PM
A friend of mine was offshore yesterday, said there were plenty of school bluefin around the inside fingers.