View Full Version : Got Stripers

schoolie monster
08-22-2001, 03:30 PM
Hi GS,

I have a couple of boat questions for you. What model Lund do you have? I wanted to check the total weight, etc. and wanted to spec that out on the Lund site.

What pound thrust is your electric?

I am starting to price all my accessories (electronics, etc) and a heavy duty bow-mount trolling motor is a must.

Thanks.

Got Stripers
08-22-2001, 04:09 PM
It's a Lund 1890 ProV, which I assume is 18'9" long, but I don't have a clue how much it weighs. The trolling motor is a MinnKota Riptide 107 lbs thrust and it's a 36V system. If you do anything, get more motor HP than you think you will need and more trolling motor thrust than you think you will need. I say that because I fished out of the Tracker V17 with a 50HP for 10 years, before I put a rebuilt 70 HP on it and it was like a different boat with the appropriate motor HP on it. Make sure you DON'T GO 12V on the trolling motor, get 24V minimum and if the boat will support the weight and has the storage, a 36V system runs all day.

schoolie monster
08-23-2001, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info, Bob. I appreciate it. I think that the ability to handle the 36V system may be another criteria to watch for.

Are you running a 4-stroke?

JohnR
08-23-2001, 12:42 PM
...just a one stroke -> forward...

Slipknot
08-23-2001, 01:22 PM
John nailed it for ya Schoolie :D

They haven't got 150 4 strokes yet , although Yamahas' new 225 is out now.

I've been on on of Bob's wild rides and I'm surprised the seats are still secure, that boy doesn't hold back for nuttin'.

Got Stripers
08-23-2001, 07:30 PM
I'm getting to sense a common thread here :( , what's the matter girls did I go too fast...LOL? I'll bet you didn't like the roller coasters as kids either. I can't help it I'm a fishing fool and if I'm running the boat from point A to point B, then I'm not fishing. My solution has always been to go as quickly as possible from point A to point B. Like I said in another thread, I guess I'm going to have to get those release forms made up :D .

Slipknot
08-23-2001, 09:17 PM
No whinning from me, just an observation. I was surprised that your boat didn't go any faster, a light boat like that with all that power. Absolutely true about the downtime between spots.

JohnR
08-24-2001, 07:20 AM
It just cracks me up that's all. When it comes right down to it - traveling with GS is very safe... There are a few common sense rules like the wearing of the wski style PFD when he engages the turbines for ludicrous speed (remember the farce)... But I ain't whinning either.

The "common thread" is that you are on the receiving end of light mild good natured ribbing - similar to what you give and receive while fishing (or on the boards for that matter :p ) - nothing negative at all... Matter of fact, I have 0 complaints about the way you fish and work the structure with that boat. I'm actually very impressed and have learned a ton on just those two outings...

Canalratt1
08-24-2001, 01:10 PM
That run and gun style must be from your tourny fishing days!

Got Stripers
08-24-2001, 02:35 PM
I wasn't at all upset, I'm just giving the ribbing back to you clowns:D and next time you can always ASK IF I will slow down:eek: . C-rat, some of it's similar to the tournament approach, however not mine. I was always more of a fish the good water for hours kind of guy, with maybe a few fast runs between good spots. Besides, back then I was fishing out of the V-17 tracker with a 50HP, so there wasn't much to worry about in the speed department. Now when I was fishing out of my friends Ranger in the Federation tournaments, yikes that was seriously scary at times. My boat does 50, my friends did around 65, you make sure your holding on and in a life vest at that speed.

Canalratt1
08-26-2001, 01:54 PM
GS I fish the tournies with my dad in his 15' Lund with a 25 HP. Some of the others I've fished with have boats that do that 65 and it is SCARY! The ledge fishing reminds me of fresh water bass fishing. Look for the structure and cover present your lure and hopefully get a fish. I did this for a few years in the same areas you fish when my cousin had his boat moored at Mary's. Plastic is the way to GO!