View Full Version : Guppy

Crazy Alberto
07-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Hiya folks,

Every now and then I feel compelled to post about a new lure that I’ve been playing with and I think this one is worthy of a post. In fact, for some of you Mass guys, it may not be so new but you sure have been keeping it quiet.

After my MSBA Trophy Bass Seminar, I’ve had the pleasure to meet the Hess family and they insisted that I tried the 3 ½ oz. Guppy Pencil.

Guess what?! I tried it and so far I like it. It casts, it swims and it catches fish. Now that I brought this up – I like to know your comments…. So, cough it up. :)

“Crazy” Alberto
NonStopFisher@Optonline.net

BigFish
07-19-2004, 12:24 PM
If you are curious to know more about "Guppy Lures"....the Hess family will be on hand at the MSBA's "Plug Night II" to be held August 25th. Details in the "Plug Builders" forum and directions can be found on the MSBA website at MSBA.net! ;) I also have a few Guppy pencils and they are awesome!:D

Hi Crazy Alberto!:wave:

tlapinski
07-19-2004, 12:29 PM
i have been trying to get my hands on some since i heard about them a while back. i pm'd the guy that owns the company for details on shops that carry them, but no response yet........ :huh:

fishweewee
07-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Pictures, pleez.

Mike P
07-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Guppy Lures were originally designed by my late friend Brad Poehler, who sold them out of his truck and basement as "Hawg Hunter" lures. They are the best pencil poppers I've ever used. His Polaris style ones were a work in progress, but he got them right a year or so before he passed away.

Guppy has taken them from a basement operation into a purely professional plug in terms of hardware and finish.

t.orlando
07-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Got about 15-20 HHs mostly Pencils but some Polaris types. 1 needle

Mike P
07-19-2004, 08:38 PM
As you might imagine, I have several more than that ;) Lots of them were "seconds", ones where the paint ran a bit before drying, or the belly holes were cut a fraction of an inch off, and some that just got a little too much weight in the arse and sank when they were tank tested.

Got a few needles, too. Plus, the only bottle plugs and darters he ever tried to turn :D

I also have one of the foot long pencils (close to 6 oz) in green mackerel. That one never leaves my wall :(

jeffsod
07-19-2004, 08:53 PM
I got turned onto the Hawg Hunter Pencils just prior to Brads passing and was fortunate to get some at the MSBA show. He made a great lure and I was very happy to hear that someone was making his lures again.

My best fish taken from the canal in May was on one of the originals 3&1/2oz with green and yellow.

You can see my catch at M&D's site on the home page link to 2004 catches or see the complete image here:

http://www.capecodtackle.com/img_fish/fullimages/008-Jeff%20Sod%20%2036%20Lb%208%20oz_f.jpg

Crazy Alberto
07-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Ahhh.. so the truth is out! :D

Hey Mike P… You dog! You’ve been holding out on me eh? :) Give me a call cause I need to talk to you about that 6 oz. needle. ;)

All in all, these lures are a big hit and it has earned a spot in my surfbag! :kewl:

“Crazy” Alberto
NonStopFisher@Optonline.net