View Full Version : Braid

Karl F
07-19-2004, 03:44 PM
OK... wind knot on the mono, lots of line twist and stretch... time to change line anyway..... most all I've talked to say try the fireline, going to take the plunge, based on all the positive I've heard....
Any other suggestions than fireline? If so, why?
I throw plugs and eels on my 1088 and 1087, going to do both.
Both have 560 slammers for reels, I have been using 15 # berkely xl with 20#, or 30# fluro leader. I'll probably leave about , half(?) of the mono on as backing? Let me know please if that is too much, or too little.
Look forward to hear from those in the know...
Thanks!

rwilhelm
07-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I am using 20lb fireline on a slammer and I love it. I am getting more distance on my casts and I can feel hits a lot better. I would advise against leaving that much backing on because if you break off one or twice you could be into the backing when fighting a fish. I recommend buying the 300 yard spools and only putting enough backing to cover the spool.

Bigcat
07-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Karl,
I have a 560 loaded with 50# spectron, It is a major pain in the butt,you need a 3rd eye just to watch it.
After I cast I get a little slack if I miss it and close the bail I have a loop hanging out,so I have to cast out and of course it is never a long enough cast, so I have to peel line off to get it strightend out.
I hope I get spooled just to get rid off the stuff.:smash:

fishweewee
07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Karl,

Fireline is good (say, 20 lb).

I have power pro 30 on my Penn Slammers and they work quite well.

Some caveats to avoid wind knots with Power Pro:

1) Don't overfill the spool, leave at least 1/8 inch clearance.
2) Try not to reel in on a slack loop - try to tighten some line on spool before retrieving.

To avoid breakoffs:

3) Occasionally cut back 6 or so feet of line (at least the part that rubs against the tip on repeated casts - it gets weakened).

-WW

Slipknot
07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Bigcat, that spectrum stuff is better for conventional reels, I wouldn't use it on a spinner.

Karl, you'd love the fireline, it gets a bit fuzzy but maybe that new fireline XDS stuff is better but that stuff is also more money.

I think FWW is right about the part getting weakened, the heat from the friction will weaken the line.

teaser
07-19-2004, 04:18 PM
I have 6 Penn Slammers with Shimano 6500's on them and thats all I use is Fireline.

I keep about 50 yards of backing and fill the rest of the spool with the 300 yard spools of fireline (20lb test), haven't lost a fish yet.

It takes a licking and keeps on ticking! I do peel off about 6 feet though on every trip out just to keep the line fresh from abraisions.

It lets you feel the fish alot more than mono, only drawback is it don't stretch, when you do eventually hook a rock one thing you can count on is its not going to be easy to get it out.

Catch0
07-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Anyone tried Stren super braid yet?

Slipknot
07-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I think Striperman has tried the stren.
Ask Tony about it Karl, I bet he would hook you up with some or where to get it. I don't know how it would work on that reel though.

Mike P
07-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I just picked up a 560 Slammer for my All Star 1088. I put 40# Power Pro on it (40# PP is new this year and not yet widely available). It held about 270 yards. Haven't cast it yet, but the Slammer has a big ball bearing rotor and lays the line on level---big improvement over the peaks and valleys of the SS and Z series reels.

Now if they only made one without a bail :hihi:

Flaptail
07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Karl old buddy, Fireline and power pro have worked best for me and Fireline has the edge. On the beach 20lb. Fireline is my go to line. It breaks at almost twice that weight rating. Fireline behaves well on narrower spool reels, like shimano etc. Power pro favors a wider spooled reel and does not take well to the subtle rod maipulations needed for needles and popping plugs.

I use 15 lb. test Big Game as backing. Loading about 160 yards on my Spheros and BG's. I use a surgeons knot with a drop of Zap-aGap superglue which is the only non-water soluable superglue. Braid needs to be put on with a line machine asa tension is key. It should be tightly packed to prevent itself from digging into it's self. Your roller gbearing on the spool should be oiled and cleaned regularly to avoid line twist. and always use a good quality ball bearing swivel with welded rings between the braid and leader. A drop of suoer glue goes on that knot as well and a improved clinch well tied works just fine.

Good luck!

Christian
07-20-2004, 09:52 AM
i my my abu 7000 filled with 30 stren. i like it.

Karl F
07-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Only fireline I'm finding local to me is "Smoke" colored... looks a little dark to me..

Any recomendations color wise?

scoobe
07-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Colors on braid usually come off after a while.

beachwalker
07-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Karl,

I run the 30# smoke Fire on my 560 and it is great. I tried the PP and it wasn't working out. The Fire has a nice waxy feel to it and ties off great. Just don't be doin any of that Double Uni stuff ( I learned the hard way) to a Flouro leader. I use 30 or 50 lb Seagar leader.

The comments on wear are true but it hasn't been a big deal for me. I have only used up about 20 ' of the line cutting it back since I spooled it 2 mo.s ago. Bluefish don't saw through it as easily and there is great action on the lure. It casts a mile and has less wind & wave friction when you are running bait. Small diameter is the reason.
50' of backing is plenty.

You will like the Fireline. Just make sure you have a pair of nail clippers when cutting it. Most pliers can't do it. It also helps to keep tension on the both sides of the line when cutting.

:D

slapshot
07-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Try Spiderwire Stealth. The stuff is amazing. I am slowly switching all of my reels over from Power Pro (which has been on there for three years) to Stealth. It is so smooth when compared to PP. When you reel in PP you can hear it as it vibrates across your guides. Stealth is just slippery smooth. Maybe because it is impregnated with teflon.

capesams
07-24-2004, 10:34 AM
smoke
fluo. green

Young Salt
07-24-2004, 11:15 AM
I've tried both the spiderwire stealth and fireline...i prefer the fireline.

Mike P
07-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Ah, I knew there was a reason Stealth felt too thick---it's been impregnated :laughs:

I'll give it another try after the delivery :D

Notaro
07-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Fireline is my favorite braid. Whiplash sucks arses. I tried it once, it snapped off. i use a triline knot on my braid to swivel barrel.
I used powerpro, IMHO, it will snapp off if you don't check your knot or tie correctly.