View Full Version : Big surf advice?

cheferson
07-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Whats the best way to fish eels in big surf? I was out last night and had a hard time keeping the eel out for very long, kept getting washed in with the waves.The sets were very close together too, one after another. I have some lead weights with rubber that you can put on the line i was gonna try too. Also is there any lures that excel in these conditions? Anything else you guys can school me on concerning these conditions would be appreciated.

t.orlando
07-20-2004, 01:48 PM
try the rubber-cores or a sinking needle

chipwood
07-20-2004, 01:49 PM
I find when the surf is as big as the place I fished last night, the fishing sucks. Too much weed around and just too nasty. The day before when the sea is building is best. I'm sure guys get fish when the water is like that but I've been skunked too many times for me to get excited. Last nights water was just too huge and the places it was'nt that big, it was real dirty. I'm sure the fish were biting somewhere last night though. As for eels in that water, I use plugs. If I used eels last night, the cast would have been minimal, but sometimes in that water they're at your feet.

cheferson
07-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Any advice on how to avoid getting the needles hung up, as they get washed back in?

spence
07-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Best bet may be to fish somewhere else :smash:

-spence

cheferson
07-20-2004, 02:08 PM
So too much surf and whitewater is no bueno?

RIJIMMY
07-20-2004, 02:19 PM
I like a heavy surf and it can really stimulate some great fishing.
I dont alter my methods much but I do not like eels in a heavy surf.
On the beach, I like jigs, swimmers and other plugs. Many times the fish are VERY close to shore.
Keep plugging Chef, its all trial and error.

Krispy
07-20-2004, 02:22 PM
just find the right weight needle, like a Habs 3oz or or Beachmaster. Otherwise try throwing jigs or a bottle swimmer.
Casting on quarter will also help keep your plugs from getting stuffed.

My best suggestion would be an eelskin jig or a rigged eel on a heavy squid
Also on swimming plugs, keep your line tight at all times to prevent them from tumbling in the surf. Once it starts tumbling its over

Nebe
07-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Chef when its nasty I throw large casting swimmers... gibs and superstrike make them, I prefer the superstrike. if you dont know what a casting swimer is, it looks like a retarded polaris popper.

Also, darters will be o.k. if your fishing over a soft bottom. they tend ot dig so you might get hung up.

Last night was a tad bit rough for my liking.

Krispy
07-20-2004, 02:27 PM
I dont think you could use darters in the surf Chef is talking about. Youd be reeling to fast to keep up with the surf, theyd come back at your before you know it

chipwood
07-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Bucktails. Big surf is good but surf on steroids, for me, is not good. Fish it and find out. With the big surf you can't get the needle to swim right. It happened to me last night . It just kept swinging over and my line was all chafed up. Bucktails.

cheferson
07-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Its super rocky where im fishing. SO i should use bucktails, bottle swimmers, big 3 oz needles? No eels? How about a danny? How would i fish a bucktail in big surf,? slow and steady retrieve? I have a 3oz olive and blurple hab's, just nervous about getting them hung up, already lost 2 2 ozer's

chipwood
07-20-2004, 02:38 PM
vary the speeds. Just like a needle.

Nebe
07-20-2004, 02:39 PM
True Krispy, they would tumble wouldnt they.

Chef a danny would be out of the question

rwilhelm
07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Storms work well in rough surf.

Krispy
07-20-2004, 02:59 PM
It just kept swinging over and my line was all chafed up
Sounds like your needle was to light. Reading over yesterdays weather report, I wouldnt have been a good night for the likes of a Gibbs needle or that type, youd need something heavier. Needles do have the perfect profile for these types of conditions though

cheferson
07-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Just got back from the spizot, surf is still pretty massive! My old roommate and i are gonna hit it up tonight with all the above and eels , ill let you know how i make out.

cheferson
07-20-2004, 03:01 PM
What color storms for night? Ive only used the pearl during the day.

rwilhelm
07-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Chef pearl works at night too!

chris L
07-20-2004, 03:14 PM
large needlefish 3 oz and up

The Dad Fisherman
07-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cheferson
What color storms for night? Ive only used the pearl during the day.

Take a couple of the Pearl ones and color them w/ a black sharpie. They look blurple when your done and the color stays.

Tried them a couple of times at night and got a few schoolies w/ them....but that was also real early in the season

basswipe
07-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Last nights big surf worked for me in a huge way.And I wasn't fishing out front...far from it.If I knew anything about fishing eels I
would've got into fish bigger than the 38" I got.Plus 2 more about
5-6"s shorter.

I was throwing the old reliable Blurple Bomber.The only needles I own currently are a white and a pink/white that drew not even a look.I've only started fishing needles this year and need to expand my collection.I wonder how a Blurple needle woulda worked lastnight?:)

tlapinski
07-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by cheferson
Whats the best way to fish eels in big surf? I was out last night and had a hard time keeping the eel out for very long, kept getting washed in with the waves.The sets were very close together too, one after another. I have some lead weights with rubber that you can put on the line i was gonna try too. Also is there any lures that excel in these conditions? Anything else you guys can school me on concerning these conditions would be appreciated. try the search feature as this was covered not too long ago. :smash:

Joe
07-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Time your casts to present to last wave of the incoming breakers. Even big waves come in sets - if you present to the last wave of the set you take advantage of the backwash of the previous waves.
The backwash feels like you are retrieving against a current - it enables you to go super slow with the eels.
Most people just cast blind and their offering gets all bounced around in the wash....
Timing the cast can make a big difference when the surfs up
http://www.moviefans.de/a-z/a/apocalypse-now/kilgore.jpg
I love the smell of big water in the morning

cheferson
07-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks

Tattoo
07-20-2004, 05:27 PM
There are only a few times that the water is to big for my liking.

Big water = big plugs.

Gibbs GS3's - remove the middle hook and put on two 4/0 VMC's.

Needlefish - the bigger the better. If you can find one made out of lead rather than wood that would be perfect. Look on the black market for some modified HABS Night and Gale editions. :D

Darters - 3oz and up. If the surf is coming right at you forget it, but you can swing them in the sets if you position yourself right.

Bucktails - if you dont have a bucktail in your bag you shouldn't be fishing the surf.

Diving swimmers - Only one comany makes them now (Gibbs) and they...well we wont go there. Find some old Lupo's, Pickney's, Captain Andy's or slice the head of your favorite danny. These are not 5 dollar palstic lures, so be prepare to cough up some dough. People are known to hoard them.

Eels, find some big eels and shove some lead down his throat. The hook through the bottom jaw and out one eye will keep the lead in and prevents hangups. Lead slugs form the back of old plugs work well.

When the surf is big, think of what the baitfish will be doing. They will be getting washed away when the wave receeds and pushed in when the wave breaks foward. Time your casts and selcet your placements and you can catch.

chipwood
07-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Trust me I had a big needle on. Well over 3oz and I could'nt do much. Hour before it got dark to about a half hour after, it was fine. As the tide came up it was ridiculous.

cheferson
07-20-2004, 05:43 PM
:cheers:

cheferson
07-20-2004, 08:19 PM
WHat are these habs night and gale editions i keep hearing about? Anyone know where to find lead needles?

Nebe
07-20-2004, 09:11 PM
some of the nicest whitewater I've come across this year tonight- Bass rolling all over the place at dust, and I couldnt get them to bite:smash: Big tails slapping, backs rolling.... aye kayumba:smash:
If only I brought my black redgills.... that woulda done it fo sho:(

cheferson
07-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Just got back in. The surf was still huge at high, but calmed as the tide went out. I used the storms,eels and a black bucktail for da skunk! I brought along my old roommate,gave him a quick lesson on slinging snakes . He manged his first bass on an eel and also his first keeper of the season!!! :D Nothing massive, 30-32 inches, but really fat. Made his night though! Also was his first keeper from shore. Hope the white water is still there for me friday night.

tlapinski
07-21-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Eben
some of the nicest whitewater I've come across this year tonight- Bass rolling all over the place at dust, and I couldnt get them to bite:smash: Big tails slapping, backs rolling.... aye kayumba:smash:
If only I brought my black redgills.... that woulda done it fo sho:( Eben, i'll be down this weekend. you gonna be out fishing? no walking this time. :smash:

likwid
07-21-2004, 06:47 AM
Big surf this weekend for the area.

Wednesday, July the 21st: Look for a decrease in Swell energy from yesterday. Swell will be coming in from 181 degrees with 3 to 4 foot surf with 8 second periods.

Thursday, July the 22nd: We're expecting a decrease in Swell energy. Swell will be coming in from 181 degrees with 2 to 3 foot surf with 7 second periods.

Friday, July the 23rd: Our call is for an increase in Swell energy compared to yesterday. Swell will be coming in from 149 degrees with 3 to 4 foot surf with 8 second periods.

Saturday, July the 24th: We're expecting an increase in Swell energy. Swell will be coming in from 151 degrees with 5 to 7 foot surf with 9 second periods.

Sunday, July the 25th: Look for a decrease in Swell energy from yesterday. Swell will be coming in from 144 degrees with 2 to 4 foot surf with 8 second periods.

Monday, July the 26th: We're expecting a decrease in Swell energy. Swell will be coming in from 32 degrees with 2 to 3 foot surf with 5 second periods.

Nebe
07-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by tlapinski
Eben, i'll be down this weekend. you gonna be out fishing? no walking this time. :smash:

hey that walk wasnt that bad..next time I'l bring my own water though:hihi: It was the freworks and the drunk fratboys that bummed me out.
I'm sad to say that i have to hang my poles up until sunday... Lots of stuff going on...

blackeye
07-21-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Eben
hey that walk wasnt that bad..next time I'l bring my own water though:hihi: It was the freworks and the drunk fratboys that bummed me out.
I'm sad to say that i have to hang my poles up until sunday... Lots of stuff going on...

walk wasn't that bad:laughs:
that's all you whined about till you went home early that nite:rolleyes:

ThrowingTimber
07-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Get off the blabbernet Chris lets go fishun:D