View Full Version : Hiding the hook

Fish Or Die
07-20-2004, 01:50 PM
what is the best way to hide the hook in the bait(herring chunks)so the fish cant see the hook?

spence
07-20-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure if seeing the hook is a problem. I would make sure you leave the point exposed though...

-spence

Fish Or Die
07-20-2004, 01:56 PM
you know i didnt really think it was really a big deal either until we were fishing on the boat next to a guy who pulled in no lie like 15-20 in an hour.he showed me his technic and tried it out with little luck.then he told me the most important thing was to hide the hook.little do ya know bang,they were hitting it.but i was having a problem keeping the hook inside the bait.believe me,i couldnt believe that it made that much of a diference but it DID;)

spence
07-20-2004, 02:06 PM
You may want to bury the shank so they don't feel it unless they are getting the business end.

-spence

5/0
07-20-2004, 08:27 PM
I've seen guy's use small treble hooks buried into some pogie chunk's.
They would scoop up chum :gorez: with a little hand shovle & toss that nasty glob of fish matter into the canal then immediately cast there treble hooked goodie into the slick and drift it.
They swear by it.
If your having problem's with the hook staying in the bait try cutting it while frozen or keep it extremely cold that way the bait will keep it's consistency/firmness, Macks are awesome for that but pogies break down & thaw to quickly & get squishy.

What about artificial's they have no sent at all on-em laced with two sets of trebles & they catch fish.
I dunno I really don't think it matters,but thats my 2 cents.

spinncognito
07-21-2004, 10:17 AM
I used to be obessed with hook-hiding but through the years have found it to be less important. Unless you are fishing in very clear water. Fish feed instinctively. I fish whole herring with the hook slipped through the eyeballs and completely exposed. With chunks, so long as it is under the bone you should catch if they are present and feeding.

Good luck...

Spin