View Full Version : Rigged Eels

Sweetwater
07-21-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm sure everyone has at some point encountered the problem where all of your eels are used up, or turned into cigars by bluefish, and all you have left is a couple of dead ones. :af:

Anyone know of a quick way to make "rigged eels" at night with the usual hook and lines in your tackle (i.e., no rigging needle or bow string)?

Thanks!

Christian
07-21-2004, 06:42 PM
dead eels work, just hook em like you normally do.

Nebe
07-21-2004, 08:45 PM
I keep one or 2 6/0 vmc siwash hooks in my truck for this. If you do rig one up on the fly, really ram the shaft of the hook down its throght and poke the hook out its belly. The 6/0 are pushing too small IMO, the bigger the hook the better, as the hook acts as a keel, so maybe a 8/0 would be a better choice.

Notaro
07-21-2004, 09:48 PM
OTW has a great issue last two months or so about rigged eel.

Saltheart
07-22-2004, 08:04 AM
DZ once showed us an eel bob. You cut the head off the dead eel and tie the body on to a jig head like you would a plastic curltail.. Of course , there are always eel skin plugs and eel skin jigs that you rig up right on the water. All you need to do is skin the eels.

hooked
07-22-2004, 10:23 PM
I've used 5/0 nylawire rigs and zip ties to rig a tail hook. They wouldn't win any beauty contests but the blues didn't mind.