View Full Version : Me and the Boy with Raider Ronnie

Van
07-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Got into some nice striped ones last weekend.
This time mine is bigger than his. !!!;) ;)

Van
07-23-2004, 07:18 PM
mine

Sweetwater
07-23-2004, 07:38 PM
These are a couple of nice fish! But look how skinny they are. There isn't a lot of bait in the water now, and it showing. I got some similarly "eel-like" fish this week on the Race.

I think the menhaden seiners are taking their toll. Some states are already passing some legislation to reduce the catch on pogies.

Glad you guys had a good day, but it would be nice to see some big, fat bellies on those babies.

Van
07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater
But look how skinny they are. There isn't a lot of bait in the water now, and it showing. I got some similarly "eel-like" fish this week on the Race.

These came from that area, and it was thick as shiet with sandeels.
So they must be feeding well. But I guess they could still be fatter.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Raider Ronnie
07-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey Van,
No pic of Raider Leo ?

Van
07-23-2004, 08:37 PM
I sent them to you already.
Heres one of the "boys"

Van
07-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Heres one of you with your illegitimate son !!!!:laughs: :laughs:

Sweetwater
07-23-2004, 09:09 PM
My experience has been (and I'm sure someone will correct me) is that when the stripers are feeding mostly on sand eels they tend to be a bit thin. I don't think sand eels (sand lances) have the heavy fish oils (like menhaden) that stripers really need to bulk up. It keeps them alive, but they don't get the girth.

I hate to keep harping on this..but the lack of pogies (everywhere from Chesapeake Bay to Maine) are really effecting the size and health of the fish.

However, a few commercial guys are telling me that they're getting fat fish in Vineyard/Nantucket sound.

All I know is stripers need good forage, and it just isn't around....yet.

Mr. Sandman
07-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Van...were those pics taken on the same day?...your son looks cold on a foggy day...you look like your working on a tan!:D

nice fish though!

Van
07-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Yup same day, the morning was foggy, but my son is always cold anyway. Took my fish later that day. (I think) (senior moment!)
Maybe we just took the pic later :confused: :confused:

Was a great day either way. Ron's son is a spitfire. He went all day ~ 10 hrs in the boat and didn't complain at all. He drives the boat even though he can't see over the bow, reels in fish, even though he uses the holder. and he can't hold them up on his own but man does he try !!!! Great kid....

On another trip, he never let us forget that his fish was the biggest, I think he even told the guy at the gas station and dunkins......(A true fisherman)!!!:D

Raider Ronnie
07-24-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Van
Yup same day, the morning was foggy, but my son is always cold anyway. Took my fish later that day. (I think) (senior moment!)
Maybe we just took the pic later :confused: :confused:

Was a great day either way. Ron's son is a spitfire. He went all day ~ 10 hrs in the boat and didn't complain at all. He drives the boat even though he can't see over the bow, reels in fish, even though he uses the holder. and he can't hold them up on his own but man does he try !!!! Great kid....

On another trip, he never let us forget that his fish was the biggest, I think he even told the guy at the gas station and dunkins......(A true fisherman)!!!:D

Van,
Tell Jimmy to be ready,
There will be a new Juniors casting champion next summer at the MSBA outing!!!
;)

Ronnie

BEETLE
07-24-2004, 08:39 PM
hey van, what ya think of jiggin wire now ? ready to go buy a setup ?

good job ronnie.

Van
07-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by BEETLE
hey van, what ya think of jiggin wire now ? ready to go buy a setup ?

good job ronnie.

I am totally spoiled, wanna but some chum ?????

Like I told Ron, when I fish boston again I won't know what to do.:smash: :smash:

BEETLE
07-24-2004, 08:50 PM
change is good....sometimes.
wire is tricky in the haba in some spots.

Raider Ronnie
07-25-2004, 01:14 AM
Van,
Here's a look at next years juniors casting contest champion,
We've got LOTS of open space out here in Wrentham and he's practicing every day till his arms are ready to fall off, (His choice not mine! )
Ronnie

Striper1
07-26-2004, 04:45 PM
We need a Caption for this one.......?????:D

There has been one or two Funny shots of me on the board so it's all in fun....:)
Frank.

BEETLE
07-26-2004, 04:59 PM
How about:
I ain't unhooking these toothy bastages from this rig ! :smash:

Sweetwater
07-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Striper1
We need a Caption for this one.......?????:D

There has been one or two Funny shots of me on the board so it's all in fun....:)
Frank.

How about.....

"There's a third bluefish biting my *#$%@%!"

:D

Van
07-26-2004, 06:20 PM
OR'''

Don't take my picture, the camera adds 10 pounds !!!!!

10 20 30 whatever...

Poor Tom :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Notaro
07-26-2004, 11:03 PM
damn, sweet cathces, guys. :smash: oy, oy.