View Full Version : What are your thoughts on the penn captiva cll6000??

kayaman
07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Has anyone tried the new penn captiva cll6000 live liner reel yet????????. If so I would be interested to know how you like it.

kayaman
07-24-2004, 08:33 PM
guess I'll take the silence as there haven't been many tried yet:rolleyes: has anyone heard anything good or bad about it:confused:

new jack
07-24-2004, 08:47 PM
havn't heard anything about them. its the weekend, give the post a week a few days or so, someone will have input for you:D

Sweetwater
07-25-2004, 04:15 PM
I looked at a Penn Captiva up close, and it just doesn't seem to have the quality of the Penn Slammer Live Liners. The fact that they're made in China may have influenced me a bit....but take one apart and compare to the Slammer, it just not the same reel.

If you want a great live liner, get the Shimano Thunnus, but you'll have to try and skip out of a few rent payments. :D

al peruzzi
08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
sorry about not responding sooner--just noticed your question on Google as I was looking for the Penn company site to complain about -- yep, you guesed it -- the Captiva Cll 6000.

The reel per se looks great and the live line works well, however, there either appears to be a problem or there was a problem and a "fix" has been made by Penn. Hopefully, you have not purchased one already-if not -- great -- there is still time to check this out-- get your hands on one and put the reel in anti reverse- cup the spool in your hand so that you can check out the apparent "play" in the handle- it's a 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch forward and back when you try to reel in, (keep in mind in anti-reverse there should be no backward movement of the handle) moreover, there is also some slight play in the handle from left to right. I managed to tighten up the left to right play but was unable to resolve the forward and reverse movement. That was the reason why I was attempting to contact Penn directly -- to ask if it was a design problem or was I just unfortunate to have purchased a lemon and was now requesting a "fix"--if it exists. The sad story is that this would have been easily spotted in a quality control phase. I guess Penn's move to off-shore may not have been a wise one.

While the problem may seem minor -- it isn't-- when hooked into a large fish -- e.g a 15 pound blue--the play in the handle really makes the reel feel as if the handle needed to be tightened .....it was tight enough. I feel it is a desaster waiting to happen. Unless the problem was fixed by Penn since my purchase--I recomend that you stay away from that reel. There are other and apparently better live line reels on the market -- shop around.
Bassless

fishbones
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Since he asked the question over 7 years ago, I'm guessing he either bought the reel or maybe bought a different one. I hope he wasn't still waiting for your response.

Anyways, welcome to the site!

bigbuck28
08-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I had the old penn captiva when it first came out...i had the spool with the shaft separate from the gears in 4 months....Save some $$ and cry once and have a reel for the rest of your life.... youll be much happier in the long run ...:love:Just my 2 cents...

LOL OH MAN!!! i just saw how old this was.....so i bougth that reel and it sucked!! i shouldnt booze and type..

piemma
08-13-2011, 03:45 AM
Funniest thread in awhile.:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

UserRemoved
08-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Don't those retail for like $29 with a rod?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bigbuck28
08-13-2011, 08:10 AM
yah those things are a POS...and i was heavily intoxicated..:buds::biglaugh: