View Full Version : Noaa!!!

S-Journey
07-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks for your accurate weather forecast on Sat!!!!

Wonder how many people you killed, 5-10 west turning 10-15 NE my $%%!!!! Try 25+ west turning NW 25-30, then NE 25+!!!!

Almost lost my boat a few times, wonder how many inexperienced people didn't make it home!

Anyone else get caught out in that crap??

Gotofish
07-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Umm yeah, I was off the southern end of Prudence in my 14'er. Pretty crappy morning but not too bad, then, like you said, it picked right up. All of the sudden there whitecaps everywhere so I decide to call it (really because I wasn't killin' em). In between me and the ramp goes the high-speed ferry with a 40' sportfisher not too far behind. They go by, and my course and speed correspond perfectly with their two wakes coming together (on top of the 2"er's aready out there). Needless to say, it turned to crap quick, but by the time I got home, it looked like things laid down again......

BAD CALL BY NOAA!!!!

S-Journey
07-26-2004, 10:52 AM
The ride across CC bay to the North River usually takes about an hour. On Sat it took four and a half hours to make it across with waves easily topping 10 feet at times.

At one point I heard a partial mayday call and the captain didn’t have enough time to finish stating his position. I just hope the poor b’stard made it home!

Thank god for Potter built Seacrafts!!!

Nebe
07-26-2004, 11:06 AM
DId you get your weather report from their website??? if so, go back to the site and check the current date .. it might say June 15th, as they havent updated the site in that long... so there could be a hurricane comming tomorrow and it would still say gentle southwest winds :smash:

ASk me how I know this:smash:

S-Journey
07-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Eben
DId you get your weather report from their website??? if so, go back to the site and check the current date .. it might say June 15th, as they havent updated the site in that long... so there could be a hurricane comming tomorrow and it would still say gentle southwest winds :smash:

ASk me how I know this:smash:

Nope, got it on the marine radio. I actualy stopped about 15 miles out at one point when I almost rolled the boat to make sure something big wasn't sneaking up on me. Channel 3 on the VHF was saying "coastal marine forcast from the merrimack river to watch hill rhode island out 25 NM, west winds less than 10 knots switching to NE 10-15 late in the day", this was happening as I was seeing seeing NW at 25+ with some major seas.

I've checked the website from work and it always shows the correct date for me.

Eben, is there a way to see an archive from Sat?

RIROCKHOUND
07-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah found the same thing out... we had solid 20kts NE in the bay... try navigating Brenton Cove in a 60ft boat in that wind :yak6: and docking :yak4: not a fun weekend... I always get stuck with the crappy weather shifts :af:
my grandfather always used to say that if the forecast was East winds, add em togethor; ie 10-15 = 20-25+kts.....

likwid
07-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Not NOAA's fault that people aren't prepared for the weather to turn bad.

You'd think by now that people would know better than to take weather reports for granted. Its a given that they're not always right.

NOAA does its best to ***PREDICT*** what will happen and no they're NOT always right.

You think thats bad, you've never been caught in the Buzzards Bay afternoon hurricane with the wind blowing one way and the tide going another.

beachwalker
07-26-2004, 01:14 PM
How about today down here. Forecast was for 10-15 NE. It has been blowing 20-25 since yesterday morning and the NEVER revised it.

Thay don't get it nor do they want to..........:smash:

:laughs: :laughs:

there is another swell on the way for tomorrow. They are mentioning that

S-Journey
07-26-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by likwid
Not NOAA's fault that people aren't prepared for the weather to turn bad.

You'd think by now that people would know better than to take weather reports for granted. Its a given that they're not always right.

NOAA does its best to ***PREDICT*** what will happen and no they're NOT always right.

You think thats bad, you've never been caught in the Buzzards Bay afternoon hurricane with the wind blowing one way and the tide going another.

??

Yes, I do think it is NOAA's fault if someone died or had a loss on Sat. They do not put a disclaimer out and people do DEPEND on that information with their lives. I personally didn't care if it was blowing 25 or 50, I would have made it home. But as an ex-long time commercial fisherman, as I think you are as well you should know that NOAA always over predicts this time of the year just in case, ex on weekends so the googan patrol will stay home if there is any chance of weather that would be threatening to small craft. When I got home and saw the weather system charts I could have predicted the weather would be a lot more than they predicted myself, and I'm just a dumb f’er. We were sitting right on the edge of that stalled low and with all the tax payer $$ invested in NOAA equipment there is no excuse for that f-up. I mean for christ sakes they were still predicting 10-15 a few hours into the gail, no excuse!!!

Just read that one guy did die in Barnstable Harbor, haven't heard anything else on the mayday I heard or other loses.

-------------------------------------------------

Likwid, sounds like you want to talk war stories with your comment “You think thats bad”? Please tell me more about “being caught in the Buzzards Bay afternoon hurricane with the wind blowing one way and the tide going another.” Must be like coming in the North River in a following sea when it is blowing NE 25-30 on an outgoing tide huh in a twenty foot boat huh? Or maybe being on a 100 foot boat in 100 knot winds and fifty foot seas loaded down with 100 plus iced up crab traps with a minus 50 wind chill? Dude, I’ve seen a lot of weather, and one of the closest calls I’ve ever had was on Sat.

And no, “I’ve” never lost a boat--

likwid
07-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Don't rely on what a radio tells you.

Enough said.

S-Journey
07-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Don't rely on what a radio tells you.

Enough said.

It's not me I'm worried about--

beachwalker
07-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Noaa uses one of 12 models in determining their forecast. USUALLY they OVER forecast but not this weekend. They finally changed it late Sunday morning and included the gusts to 25 bs. A little late for the boys in Barnstable :af:

likwid
07-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by S-Journey
It's not me I'm worried about--

Bleeding heart liberal. :rolleyes:

S-Journey
07-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Bleeding heart liberal. :rolleyes:

I'm just a guy who cares about his fellow man and has seen more dead bodies pulled from the ocean than he's cared too--

End of discussion:doh:

Surfcastinglife
07-27-2004, 02:17 PM
taht north river is treachrous gf's dad told me they were very close to losin it last sat they had like 6 inches of water in the boat and it was gettin rdy to go down somehow they made it into the docks but sounded like some scary #^&#^&#^&#^& from what i heard

Gloucester2
08-02-2004, 10:43 AM
They kinda missed it this weekend too - didn't they.

I last checked Thursday and they were calling for 5 - 10 out of the SSW . . . I was on the Cape and it was honkin pretty good - had to have been 20 + out of the s sw (at least they got that part right)