View Full Version : Attention Sharpies....

fishweewee
07-26-2004, 03:26 PM
You just might find yourself providing expert testimony in court.

Think you could get a couple of good spots from the court record?

:rolleyes: :smash:

Peterson Jury Hears From Fishing Expert

Monday, July 26, 2004

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. — Prosecutors in Scott Peterson's (search) murder trial went fishing Monday for answers to questions including how and where someone would catch sturgeon and striped bass in San Francisco Bay (search).

Peterson told police he had been angling for both fish the day he said he last saw his pregnant wife, Laci.

Prosecutors maintain they've caught Peterson in a lie — that his fishing gear wasn't suitable and that his homemade cement anchor wouldn't have held his boat in place against the bay's currents.

On Monday, prosecutors led commercial fisherman and author Angelo Cuanang (search) through a lecture-like presentation on how, when and where to fish for sturgeon in the bay. He was the main witness during a half day of testimony.

Cuanang said he wouldn't fish for sturgeon near the Berkeley Marina, where Peterson launched what he claimed was a solo trip the morning his wife vanished — Christmas Eve day, 2002. Cuanang said a knowledgeable fisherman would use bait to catch sturgeon, but Peterson only brought artificial lures.

"Would you say this rod is rigged up for sturgeon fishing?" prosecutor Rick Distaso asked, holding up Peterson's rod.

"No," Cuanang replied, adding that both the rod and tackle box were outfitted for fresh water fishing.

Cuanang then testified the type of anchor Peterson brought — a small 5-10 pound concrete weight shaped like a bucket — wouldn't work at that time of year, when currents require a claw type anchor to keep from drifting.

Prosecutors allege Peterson crafted five homemade cement anchors to weight down his wife's body in the bay after killing her in their Modesto home on or around that Dec. 24. Authorities recovered one anchor from Peterson's small boat, but found none during extensive searches of the bay.

The remains of Laci Peterson (search) and the couple's fetus washed ashore about two miles from the marina.

On cross-examination, defense lawyer Pat Harris pointed out that there is no set rule on how to fish for sturgeon on the bay, that Cuanang's suggestions were simply the ideal conditions.

"In fact, it's not by any stretch of the imagination a requirement that what you testified to here is the only way to catch sturgeon?" Harris asked.

"No," Cuanang replied.

"People have been catching sturgeon in numerous ways for many, many years?" Harris prodded.

"Yes," said Cuanang, who later agreed with Harris that a small cement anchor would have had enough drag that the boat would effectively been trolling.

Harris pointed out that Cuanang's testimony came from the perspective of a professional -- that amateurs such as Peterson may not know the optimal techniques, what gear to use or even what they might expect to catch.

"Just a relaxing, entertaining thing to do?" Harris asked.

"Yes," Cuanang said.

Jurors returned Monday for a short week.

Court won't be in session Wednesday while defense lawyer Mark Geragos (search) attends a hearing in another case. Jurors also won't be present Thursday when Geragos argues for a dismissal of charges or a mistrial based on allegations that a detective lied on the stand.

Krispy
07-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Abe Cuanang has a great book on Cali striper fishing, get it if you can find it

Billybob
07-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Anybody knows that a married guy doesn't go fishing on Christmas Eve day - that's when you start your shopping!

B-assman
07-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Last week Zacs and I were out fishing in the early morning hours - off a mega mansion on jamestown. We heard what sounded like 6 gunshots. Zacs - having been trained by watching plenty of Law and Order - duly noted the time of the shots - just in case some guy offed his wife / mistress. We're ready to testify when they find her body.

JohnR
07-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by B-assman
Last week Zacs and I were out fishing in the early morning hours - off a mega mansion on jamestown. We heard what sounded like 6 gunshots. Zacs - having been trained by watching plenty of Law and Order - duly noted the time of the shots - just in case some guy offed his wife / mistress. We're ready to testify when they find her body. That was, no doubt, an impromptu session of skeet before morning creppes and work ...

I dunno, I saw some yahoos out there fishing for bass & sturgeon (I was the one Yahoo using east coast surf gear from the levee) so anything is possible. Besides, how many times have we seen someone catching on something totally rediculus while us self proclaimed "sharpies" perfect out casting and retreiving techniques...

justplugit
07-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Billybob
Anybody knows that a married guy doesn't go fishing on Christmas Eve day - that's when you start your shopping!
LOL--probably the best proof the prosecution has so far!:D

Navy Chief
07-27-2004, 02:59 PM
That guy is so guilty.

1) If you fish for Sturgeon in SF Bay you use 6' steel leader and Ghost Shrimp that cost $6.00 a piece.

2) If you fish for Stripers in SF Bay, artificals are good, but you
don't anchor, you troll or drift.

Mike P
07-27-2004, 03:04 PM
You'd think that rather than calling Angelo Cunang as an expert witness, they would have thought of just seizing his tackle and analyzing it for traces of salt residue, since as I understand it, this was his maiden voyage in salt water :rolleyes:

I've seen knuckleheads in Bass Trackers trying to run the Canal against the current, so showing that his boat wasn't what anyone with a lick of sense would take out into SF Bay in December wouldn't convince me or anyone else who's seen various Darwin Award candidates on the briny deep :D

chris L
07-27-2004, 03:09 PM
whats a sharpie ? a permanent marker ?

Nebe
07-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Didnt they catch him on his way to mexico with 25 grand and a freshly died hair-doo???? hmm wife is missing, 25 grand, leaving the country... yep guilty..

but then agian OJ was on national TV in the white bronco with a gun to his head headed to mexico too.... and we all know he was not guilty.... yeah right:huh:

Crafty Angler
07-28-2004, 05:56 AM
Hey, Navy Chief - welcome aboard :wave:

One of my 'mentors' was a retired chief from Pt. Jude who was a hard-hat diver during his Navy career.

Yup, old Harry had a pair of propellers tattooed on his ass (I kid you not) and the words "Stand Clear - Twin Screws" above it - :hihi:

He was the resident maintainance man and chief factotum at the old Bon Zoo when I worked there in the '70's - damned nice guy, funny as hell, we spent many a nite discussing the state of the world over a bottle of rum.

In fact, if you've ever seen the Perfect Storm, the old guy in the Crow's Nest talking about the Flemish Cap looks, acts and talks like Harry - I often wonder if Sebastian Junger (the author) hadn't run into Harry at some point.

Anyway, always good to see another Islander at S-B, Chief -

Oh yeah - fishing on Christmas Eve, huh? :hs:

Guilty.