View Full Version : Wife outfishes me

schoolie monster
07-28-2004, 10:23 PM
For the first time in over two years, Karen and I got out on the water together. We took monday off to go out and we were rewarded with a beautiful day.

The fishing in the outer harbor seems to have slowed some, but we got some fish with a couple decent ones in there.

I got up early to find some bait and she met me at the launch after dropping our daughter at summer camp. It was tough going as I worked hard to find a few herring.

Karen lost a nice fish early and then we had fun with some decent schoolies on herring and jerkbaits. As the tide slacked we tried for some more bait and got a bunch of pollock. As the tide started runnin back in, I drifted a nice rip off one of the islands and nailed a nice 35" fish a bit over 15lbs. Had a couple more whacks and some followers in there, but no more hookups.

We moved inshore a bit and fished some rockpiles. I had a neat thing happen when my bait swam to the surface and a bass at least as big as the last fish circled and harassed my bait for a couple minutes. He didn't take but it was fun to watch.

Shortly after that, Karen hooked up a nice fish and hung on to get her biggest bass ever. It was 21 1/2lbs, 38". She was pumped. We added a small keeper each... mine was just legal while she got a 30"er.

We had a good time and it was nice to spend some time together without the twins or our oldest on top of us.

Here's her fish...

schoolie monster
07-28-2004, 10:25 PM
and mine... I was thrilled that she got the fish especially since she was bummin' about losing the earlier fish. We're gonna take a day in the fall when the blitzes start up. She loves to go out and even though its tough to get out together, I'm glad we got the chance.

BigBo
07-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Nice fish. Ledgerunners I see.:kewl:

schoolie monster
07-28-2004, 10:42 PM
These fish came on live pollock, but I did get my biggest fish of the season so far (40") a couple weeks ago on that exact lure. The thing won't die and like cheese, gets better with each fish.

Its got fish like 4 straight trips out. Poor got stripers, at this rate, I won't need to place an order till next spring.

Van
07-29-2004, 09:46 AM
SHWEET !!!!!!!!!

radio on 69 sat, got some tips at the meeting last night.

JohnR
07-29-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm not suprised, seeing htat your 6 year old daughter outfishes you and wifey usually does too...

Hi K :wavey:

The sad thing is that me & you haven't fished together in 2 years...

Wanna go to to the Cape sometime? Have Sticker...

Also, B & J said we BOTH need to go to the Derby this year for a few days - whaddya think?

schoolie monster
07-29-2004, 11:29 AM
I think we've gotten out once last season and once the year before. That's pretty sorry.

We should do the vineyard for a couple days this fall. It may be the last chance to do it for a few reasons. We may be restarting the guys Canadian trip... we almost did this year. And I'll be gettin' back to our sept trip to Nantucket 'cause missing that is really upsetting me.

Lets toss some weekends around though I could do a sunday to tuesday type thing too.

Van, I'll be out 5am-ish till noon or one. I'm gonna pick up some eels in case the herring are sparce again. I'll try some pollock a bit later.

Do you want to pm me your cell so we can talk more discretely?

Got Stripers
07-29-2004, 06:28 PM
I'm wishing a school of maurading bluefish on you for that Greg.

Notaro
07-29-2004, 09:21 PM
bob, your canal jig was good. i trolled it for bluefish today and used a berkley smoke and glitter shad and modified it. a slammer engulfed it and left me a short leader and a swivel barrel.

schoolie monster
07-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Sorry Bob, I meant I got my biggest fish on that very smoke jerkbait in the picture... and that jerkbait has lasted thru alot of fish. I didn't mean cause I wasn' t using them.

It still my go to... other than bait. But I have been doing alot of bait fishing this year. I'm gonna try to get out alot this fall, so don't worry, that's when I'll run thru the plastics.

But I'll take the blues... I haven't caught one yet this season.