View Full Version : Is the jury in on Van Staal?

Joe
07-29-2004, 05:40 AM
From the statement on the front page of their website it seems that they are on their way to re-starting production and that their service end is up and running.....

But before I take "the VS plunge" any information relating to recent dealings (since buyout) would be most appreciated....

I've been dreaming of a black VS 250 for years.....

tlapinski
07-29-2004, 06:14 AM
since the move to Tulsa, the only dealings i have had are with yearly warrantee service. zero problems so far. i got the reel back within about 1.5 weeks. i am happy. i have heard several unconfirmed reports that the price may be going up on new reels, though. :(

beware, once you go VS, you never go back!

fishweewee
07-29-2004, 06:20 AM
Joe,

My dealings with the folks at Van Staal post change of ownership have been fairly positive - at least on the service front. I think as a management team they have more bandwidth to provide service than the prior owners did.

As far as the product goes, we'll just have to wait and see, there is just no visibility until you get your hands on the product and use it for its intended purpose.

I'm hopeful.

-WW

maddog2020
07-29-2004, 06:39 AM
There are a lot of features on the VS's that they can change IMHO.

Do away with that fancy folding handle and make it one piece like Zebco did with the Quantum Cabos. The old handle loosens up and is annoying.

What is wrong with a rubba handle? That dinky little knob is anothing thing that could have been changed. Even the Stella and Saltiga have rubba knobs. ;)

Rumor had it that VS spent too much human hand time custom making many of the pieces hence they were never profitable and couldn't survive. Some one else mentioned that those blocks of aluminum they used were offcuts/scraps from another aerospace application so they were enjoying "free" material costs. Now I heard this 2nd hand from folks who mentioned it to me because I told them I was a cnc machinist.

I look at a Van Staal as a machined piece of equipment verses the Stella, or Saltiga (which are very expensice piece of mass produced high end reels). Now what reel would you think I would rather buy?

I have no issues about Zebco being able to "save" money on the VS reels. If the VS stays waterproof and you can fish it like a maniac then that is what it is all about! I wouldn't mind saving $100 on each reel either. ;) Not every one who buys a VS reel has a six digit salary.

tlapinski
07-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by maddog2020
I have no issues about Zebco being able to "save" money on the VS reels. If the VS stays waterproof and you can fish it like a maniac then that is what it is all about! I wouldn't mind saving $100 on each reel either. ;) Not every one who buys a VS reel has a six digit salary. i have been told they will be going UP by $100.

try to find a torpedo knob for the VS. i put one on the 300 i fish all the time. it is very comfortable.

Nebe
07-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by tlapinski
i have been told they will be going UP by $100.

hey that snoopy engraving o the side plate costs $$$

spence
07-29-2004, 07:29 AM
I heard they are going to outsource the fab of some non-critical components. They should be available October 1st.

-spence

RIROCKHOUND
07-29-2004, 07:41 AM
I love em, but hate the rep it gives as a yuppie:smash:
my gold 250 has been flawless through a lot of abuse... I love it.,...

Striperhound
07-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Joe,

Heard from a VS dealer last week that the new reels due to hit stores in early August are old design with some new parts. The real true new model will be in stores in October or so. I have a 100, 200 and 250 and they are the best investment in fishing tackle I have ever made, tough as they come. Like others have said since the takeover my dealings with them for service were very positive. Take the plunge and get one.

ThrowingTimber
07-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Solid reel. No replacement really for the $. Reels are going up 80 bux to the wholesalers, which translates to 80 + whatever the retail mark up is. I beleive the new models will feature the standard manual pick up as well as a model with a bail.

Seriously, looking into purchasing one of the new ones, in black or silver. Gold is blinging too much for me :D

Mike P
07-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by spence
I heard they are going to outsource the fab of some non-critical components.

-spence

Uh huh. Figured that. Outsourced quite a bit west of Tulsa I'd suspect.

I wonder what they figure is "non-critical" on a reel that has like 5 moving parts :confused:

Surely Bassey
07-29-2004, 08:49 AM
I've got a couple of them; you can't beat the smooth drag (wish I could use it more). Sent my reels to Van Zebco Oklahoma this past spring for upgrades/service. Took about 40 days on two mailing trips and mucho $$$. Asked them for the o-ring kits and side plate conversion so that I could do the future service myself. They sent me the hex sideplate and all the parts but didn't anticipate that I would not have any way to remove the old sideplate (that's why I wanted the new sideplate.
My guess is that they are going to make them cheaper; we're going to have to wait and see where they will cut corners.

JoeP
07-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Joe-

I fished a VS150 and a VS200 in the 2002 and 2003 seasons and they held up and performed nicely. I fished these in surf conditions with waves getting them wet and the occasional dunk.

However, because the company was sold (the former owners, Rick et al were great), because I had to send them in for an annual $35 factory service, and because the no-bail system and the somewhat antiquated rotor mechanism and movement got a little annoying, I sold them this winter.

I purchased 2 Daiwa Saltigas as replacement reels and they have been absolutely amazing reels. They have the solid, sealed and waterproof construction of the Van Staals BUT also have the smoothness and modernized features of the Shimano Stellas. They are extremely braid-friendly and with their specialized line-winding system and large long-cast spool, they cast further than the Van Staals. Also, as these reels were actually built by Daiwa for larger offshore fish, the drags are very smooth and strong.

Essentially, the Saltigas are a combination of the Van Staals and the Shimano Stellas.

I tell you this only because if you are going to plunk down $600 for a new Van Staal there is, in my opinion, a better alternative at that price range. Also, the Saltiga's are available online at certain sites for around the $600 price of a new Van Staal.

PM me if you need any other info.

Surely Bassey
07-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Isn't the Diawa Saltiga a conventional reel??

bassmaster
07-29-2004, 08:35 PM
I killed 2 150's last year
sent them out got them back, killed one it ground to a hault in 25 days of fishing in one month.
took the spare out and it ground and still pissed oil out the rotator. I fixed that with a new traverse guide that was said to be replaced. I refill the reel with oil once a week now and Im waiting for a part for the reel they have had for a month now
sucks being a guide..........................

Bernzy
07-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Surely Bassey
Isn't the Diawa Saltiga a conventional reel??

They make both conventional and spinning Saltiga's in several sizes

http://www.striped-bass.com/StriperTalk/private.php

Surely Bassey
07-29-2004, 10:23 PM
found them for about 7 bucks apiece...ouch
http://www.digitaldagger.com/

iluvspots
07-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by bassmaster
I killed 2 150's last year

I see dead reels. :af: