View Full Version : Perfect Day for sailing the Bay

Saltheart
08-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Yesterday was a perfect day for sailing the bay. Good wind. small seas. Not too hot. Excellent visibility. I love being on the water. Did notice a school of blues breaking off Sally Rock and they stayed up and drifted down off the beach at Goddard Park.

I'll never understad the power boaters. They can cover 100 yards in abot 4 seconds yet they have to drive by so close. There were a couple I think I could have reached out and touched. No excuse for it when just a flex of the wrist and they could pass 100 feet away.

But , even with the Power Boat Bullies , it was a great day to enjoy Narragansett Bay. At times the only sound was the wind on the sails. Gotta love it!

Clammer
08-27-2001, 12:29 PM
Alright Mike , Like I always say [Enjoy What you have} !!!

chris L
08-27-2001, 01:13 PM
you couldnt have asked for a better day than yesterday Mike . Im glad you were able to get out and enjoyed it .

Got Stripers
08-27-2001, 03:38 PM
Saltheart I was telling Mike Saturday, while we were getting the snot beat out of us, that when I was a kid I lived for days like that. Nice stiff 25 mph, some heavier gust, good high swells from at least 24 hours of stiff NE winds and warm summer waters. I would have spent the day out on the trappesse on my International 110, solo if possible, having the time of my life. As much as I enjoy my fishing time, you'd have to experience that feeling to know there's nothing like it.

The best days were those that followed a big offshore storm, similar to what we have a few weeks back. That old 110 had a planning hull (reads=big surfboard) and there's nothing like getting half of your 24 foot hull out in front of an 8-10 foot swell, surfing that puppy and totally out of control. Talk about a rush, man those were good times. I almost wish I hadn't sold the 2nd 110 I owned and refurbished, although it's a little fast for trolling :).

Fishpart
08-27-2001, 04:01 PM
Funny we were down by the URI Bay Campus and my wife was asking about sailing, she is from a large lake and doesn't understand sailing. It did look like a beautiful day to be out there.

Jenn
08-27-2001, 10:12 PM
although it's a little fast for trolling

There IS something out there too fast for ya GS???!!!!

Sorry couldnt resist seeeing how some were busting your stones just the other day......;)

Saltheart
08-28-2001, 03:49 PM
Fishpart , we should get your wife out for a sail. She'll love it.

GS , I like cruising. I've never been into going too fast etc. I would never race my boat. She's been too good to me to treat her like that. Have had some wild rides on other peoples Cats and Trihulls but I prefer the steady pace......However , I have sailed in 16 foot waves. It happened twice. Once I was running with them and it was a ball. Just a fun ride on a roller coaster. Once I was trying to work against them and had to turn in on a 100 mile trip after only about 12 miles. Honestly , I hope it never happens again!! Like the scener in "Perfect Storm" only on a smaller scale. Its an erie feeling to look up and see a wave that's higher than your spreaders! :)