View Full Version : ferrule question

basserjohn
07-30-2004, 04:58 PM
I picked up a 12 foot two piece custom fiberglass rod at an auction or yard sale, I forget where, but the top piece stops short of meeting (about a half inch ) the bottom half on the ferrule. The person who had it before me obviously left if like this because it has a faded mark on the ferrule where the top piece stops. The rod was built by Erickson of Warwick RI, according to the sticker on the rod. My question is this do I sand down the ferrule, so the top half slides down the half inch? or do I try to ream out the top half a little to see if that works? or do I leave it alone. It seems to me that having it the way it is puts a lot of pressure on the ferrule besides looking ugly.
Any suggestions?
John

Fungus
07-31-2004, 05:52 AM
It sounds like what you have is called a spigot ferrule. If this is the case, then it is normal for there to be a space or gap between the two pieces of the rod when they are properly seated. I would leave it as it is and use the rod.
At least that is my thoughts on the topic. I am sure that someone who know mre than me will respond soon.

basserjohn
07-31-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reply
In hindsight having a gap makes sense, if the two pieces where tight there would be no room for tightning up on two pieces if they needed an extra tweek. I should of thought it through.

Thanks again

PurpelNoon
08-17-2004, 09:44 PM
I have an old Garcia surf rod which was my dad's. It also has a space of about 1/4" but I truly don't believe that this space is supposed to be there. I don't want to force anything by pushing it too hard.
Does anyone have a suggestion on this? Thanks.