View Full Version : buddies outboard problem

Mr. Sandman
07-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Did the dusk thing with a buddy this evening...Caught plenty but when we went to come home the engine seemed to slip at 2000 rpm and would not go any further. (nothing on the prop) When you gave her the gas it was like it came out of gear partly...in that it felt like the clutch was slipping in a car.

We limped home at 8 knots but I did not know what it could be. Outboards are either in gear or not there should be no slippage but that is what was happening.

suzuki 225 2 stroke. about 4 years old.

Any thoughts?

macojoe
07-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Spun the prop?? The center has a hub that can break free if you hit sometghing or they just were out??
But any way they will spin till the get to much torq on it the the center spins and the outside does not.

Lets just hope that is all it is?? Been there done that

Mr. Sandman
07-31-2004, 08:19 AM
mako...yep, I bet thats it....
Thanks!

Surfcastinglife
07-31-2004, 07:42 PM
had the same prob out yesterday at about the h bouye after leaving scituate harbor. we trolled around for a few hrs and then limped home at 5 kn but when we lifted the prop there was a dent in it but it didnt seem that bad gettin the outdrive checked on it

Vectorfisher
07-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Sounds like what happened to me, brandy new gearcase now:D

Roger
08-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Surfcastinglife
had the same prob out yesterday at about the h bouye after leaving scituate harbor. we trolled around for a few hrs and then limped home at 5 kn but when we lifted the prop there was a dent in it but it didnt seem that bad gettin the outdrive checked on it

I'd try the spare prop first because it sounds like you spun it. I'd hate to show up to any mechanic saying, "I think there's a probelm with my outdrive." What are the chances of it not being the outdrive at that point?

Mr. Sandman
08-01-2004, 08:44 AM
I agree, it goes in and out of gear fine..no odd noises...it is just when you she squats and trys to climb the hump it slips, it stays in gear somewhat but slips and cant get up on plane....back down on the gas just a little and it grabs again...I bet it is the prop hub slipping on the rubber.

Vectorfisher
08-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Thats the same symptoms I had was trying to get up on plane and the motor shuttered no noticable RPM jump back off and it was fine, try again same thing, did manage to get up on plane and it would shutter every 3-4 seconds, it also went in and out of gear just fine no noises anything. When this happened I was out around Race point so I decided it was such a nice day we would chug back home at 2500 rpm most I could get without the shutter. After burning off some fuel and getting away from the area where the current was ripping against us I started to tap the throttle gently a little at a time and was able to get the boat up on plane and I left everything just the way it was and we cruised all the way back to the ramp. I have had hubs go south before and it was a night and day difference from what I experienced with the gearcase going south. Besides if it is a gearcase he can call his insurance company and tell him he hit something and they will pay for most of it.

ScottM
08-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Sandman,
Definitely sounds like a spun prop. The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Running along fine at 4400rpms, then I went dead in the water but the engine contined to rev up. Didn't hit anything, the hub bushing just let go. I put a new prop on and no problems since.

Surfcastinglife
08-02-2004, 11:16 AM
he got it checked out it was a belt in the prop(??) :P not the outdrive its back in the water for another try to get to race point :)
thx for advice roger sry bout hijackin the topic :P