View Full Version : Tuna This Weekend

Fish On
08-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Staying at Block Island this weekend and if the weather is good will be making a run or two to try and find school bluefin or perhaps even some yellowfin. I'll be trying all the usual spots and especially looking for the temp breaks as usual. If anyone has any recent info. on the bite that they would like to share in a PM it would be hugely appreciated.

I plan to troll especially in the morning but I may want to do some chunking as well. Does anyone know of a source for a tote of mackerel or butterfish in the Pt Judith area?

If anyone is interested in teaming up in another boat I'd be more than happy to. 179 you interested?

If the offshore weather doesn't cooperate I'll likely be flukin and stripin around the island which is a very attractive backup plan.

thefishingfreak
08-02-2004, 07:48 PM
ask on noreast.com offshore board.
most of those guys are from down yonder :)
mike

08-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Fish On- If the weather is good I will also be planning on giving it a try.

MakoMike
08-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Fish,
I hear of some good scoolie BFT action in the butterfish hole a couple of days ago. I haven't heard of anyone chunking yet, everyone is trolling them up. Bait in Pt Jude can be hard to come by unless you know a dragger captain.

Fish On
08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Stay in touch 179.

I saw a path projection this morning that was east northeast and 500 miles off shore by same time tomorrow. My thoughts are the worst we'll see from the hurricane this weekend are rollers. I was also thinking it might push in some of the warmer water which coould be good for the overall bite on HMS species. Any other word/thoughts on the hurricane and it's potential impacts?

Thanks for the word on Butterfish Hole MM. I'll make that one of my potential targets.

Mr. Sandman
08-03-2004, 10:50 AM
How far east are you guys planning to run?

Fish On
08-03-2004, 11:15 AM
If the weather is right I may fish 2 days. Right now I'm thinking my 2 primary destinations will be Butterfish Hole and Cox's Ledge. If conditions are very good and steady and temp breaks or reports warrent I would consider a run to the dump.

Would love to have you join in the fun Mr. Sandman.

08-03-2004, 11:21 AM
I won't venture much further out than the Acid Barge, only a 21' boat here.

Fish On
08-03-2004, 12:15 PM
I would certainly consider trying the acid barge first, especially if I also plan to try Cox's that same day. Any tuna reports from there?

08-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Fish On- If I head out I will more than likely begin at the Acid Barge and work my way towards the Mud Hole. I have seen some spotty reports for this area but there have been fish there.

Mr. Sandman
08-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Your a little to west for me ...I was thinking of running to the inside fingers or gordans gully when we get a nice day.
A dump run would be a stretch for me. perhaps the NE corner on a bluebird day with 5knot wind....but even then I would like company. (no life raft)

local tackle shop report: Nice temp break through the Dump and the Star with reports of schoolie Blue fin Tuna.Also the inside fingers, The Claw and The Fingers

Fish On
08-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Sand you may have the best temperature break south of the hooter. Definately too far of a run from the Block but might be worth it for you if the weather stays good.

Fish On
08-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Well I'm thinking that I may shift plans and go out of Cape Ann for the weekend (that's the nice part of trailering). It seems the seas are going to be much calmer up that way. I havn't made up my mind completely yet but I'm leaning that way.

Does anyone want to offer an opinion?

Veterans of the dump, Cox', Butterfish hole and surrounding areas, how does the offshore forecast look to you guys right now?

If I do stay north, I wish you guys tight lines, lots of action, and calm seas.

Bigcat
08-05-2004, 08:24 PM
I will be out on CCB in the morning looking for footballs:D

Mr. Sandman
08-05-2004, 08:33 PM
"south of the hooter"....that all depends how far south:) I am game for about 15-20 mi south and that is about it for lil ol me in my boat. I would like to get a report and shoot for mid next week. I am sure there will be a bunch of guys gunning for them on sat.'

I just came back from the beach...about 5'...it never got to 10 as predicted...well maybe way out it did but not inshore.