View Full Version : Help me Pack my gear for Montauk

BasicPatrick
08-03-2004, 05:35 PM
I am going Thursday Morning and fishing hard until sunday Morning...

I do not want to bring to much and keep second guessing myself so I am fuguring on making up two Surf Bags...I for Night and One for Dusk & Dawn....

What should I put in them

BigFish
08-03-2004, 05:37 PM
A giant shoe-horn for the wet suit.....ummmmmm......;)

BigFish
08-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Pencil poppers, an orange and white BigFish needle.....ummmmmm...:think: a disposeable Kodak camera w/flash for that pic of a lifetime with your cow bass!;) Caught on an orange and white BigFish needle!:D

splshnplug
08-03-2004, 07:48 PM
good luck patrick

splshnplug
08-03-2004, 07:48 PM
bring your pink plugs

fishweewee
08-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Patrick,

I ain't no expert. Just my $0.02.

Think south side. Think white water.

You're gonna have to hoof it and wade out to rocks in chest high water.

Bring

1) Bucktail jigs. White. 1 1/2 ounce. Bring red and yellow matching porkrinds. Best at first light.

2) Darters (just like you would in Rhody).

3) Yellow super strike bottle plug for Shagwong.

4) Pencil poppers and tins for day.

5) Suitable eel hooks and fluoro leader. And eels - try to bring some with you they are more $$$ in Montauk.

6) Alberto will tell you to bring any weighted rubber shad (storm wildeye, etc). Pogie pattern, 5 inch.

7) Swimmers of all kinds (olive).

8) ***Small Habs olive needlefish. Blurple and blue too.***

This is going to be some very wet fishing, and you'll get pushed off of rocks by waves (more so than you would at FPR - imagine FPR multiplied by 10,000 - that's Montauk). Korkers are a must, as is a waterproof flash light. A snug top like the Aquaskinz evolution really pays for itself there. Pliers and belt too.

A beefy stick is a must (9-10 footer) with a water proof reel. Folks there fish Van Staals for good reason.

Don't carry more than one plug bag out with you to rocks at a time, trust me you'll lose one if you carry two. Hopefully you won't be far from the sand sled.

Slingah
08-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Patrick
Good Luck , Have Fun and be safe
MS

Rock Hopper
08-03-2004, 10:15 PM
What WEEWEE Said.... PLUS:

A gill rope, heavy duty duct tape for the korkers(bring two sets of korkers if you can), chartrues bucktails up to 2 1/4 oz. , yellow, white, black darters for the night. Large pencils (white) and tins (1.5 oz.to 3 oz. dressed with tubes rather than hair (pink or white) for the day. A LOT of leader material and quality clips. Plenty of dry clothes.

Breathable waders don't last very long on the South Side rocks...think about neoprene. Bring extra flashlight if you got it. Bring a minimum of 2 of everything....I am not even kidding.

Make sure to bring a reliable belt as this is critical.

704's or 706's if you ain't bringing the Saltiga's or the VS's, anything else might be an excersice in futility....a 10 ft. rod is a minimum. 9's will only get you relief in 2 or 3 places. All else dictates 10's at least.

Bring extra bucktails, tins and darters as these will be the plugs most used and most lost.... If your eeling, bring plenty of hooks...don't worry about eels, Vinny at Freddie's has plenty and will probably take care of you if your with Alberto (or just throw my name around;) )

Call if your not sure. Hopefully I'll see you when you get here...man I wish I could see this:laughs: ....too bad I am not going to be there....like the commercial says, this will be "Pricelss":laugha:

Kadir aka: Rock Hopper

fishermom
08-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Don't worry Patrick. I have plenty of film for those big fish!! (and I don't mean you, Larry!) Packing was easy for me, my gear comes all prepacked in a 30 pack! I can't wait to leave. Let's just hope "Alex" doesn't bother us too much! Larry, hopefully we will return with some great fish stories! We are going to have sooooooo much fun..........:happy:

Joe
08-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Ahh...nothing like wading in chest deep water with a hurricane swell on....:err: :err:
Don't forget to write your Social Security number on a couple of different body parts.......

Karl F
08-04-2004, 07:23 AM
Patrick, take fishermom skishing, and please have it on video... it would be a riot! :laughs:

Hope you 2 have fun down there, I'm sure you will :cool:
Get a large Patrick, and fishermom... behave.... NOT! ;)

Saltheart
08-04-2004, 07:26 AM
Think eels and peanut bunker. Rigged eels will outfish everything at night. I never regretted the effort put into an eel I rigged. deadliest of all the lures and especially successful at montauk

I would have lots of peanut sized rubber and jigs to put them on.

Stubby needles and swimmers like mambos. Of course , some poppers too.

Also have some money for beer at the Shagwong Cafe!

tlapinski
08-04-2004, 07:32 AM
some good info here. add this to my favorite posts. this is going to be very useful for my innaugural Montauk trip this fall!

chris L
08-04-2004, 07:34 AM
watch out for the sand people !
luckily its not a full moon weekend !

have a good time and enjoy !

Mr. Sandman
08-04-2004, 07:40 AM
FWW said all the right things ...Freddy's will have anything you forgot.
They use a lot of darters there...And you see a lot of superstrikes (all kinds) on the rods.
August is not the peak month for bassfishing but they do pretty well throughout the summer.

skishing in 75 deg water at montauk at night?:smash:
Ask yourself this question...is this wise?

fishermom
08-04-2004, 07:41 AM
Karl,
whatever makes you think I won't behave?? We both have to behave for the meeting Saturday morning. After all, we are on "official business". Other than that, who knows?

I do think I will leave the "skishing" to Patrick. After all, he's a little more "boyant" than me. I'll keep my feet firmly placed on the beach, thank you. However, I will enjoy watching him. This is a learning experience for all 4 of us (Don and Cathy also). We'll have great stories next week.

Well, gotta go get packing. Have a great weekend. Tight lines!!

Karl F
08-04-2004, 11:16 AM
:wave: Wendy.... I don't mean you'd misbehave...you'll just have fun!

I know from the company you will be keeping, you WILL!
Say hi to Cathy and my condol---er,---uh ;), best wishes to Don on this nice trip!

(He's a lucky guy, the 2 of ya!!! :laughs: )

Don, if you see this, go Skishing with Patrick!!!!!

BasicPatrick
08-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the advice and well wishes. People on this board are AWESOME...I got even more PM's then reply's to this post.

Fish or no fish I am sure to have a good time as I am going with good people and meeting up with even more. Just to experience another of the most famous s-b locations just blows my mind. People who know my personally will understand this with great appreciation.

It is 1am and the truck is loaded...the final list is like this...

3 rods...
Factory Arra 1204 w/Stradic 6000 & 30# PP
Custom Arra 1205 w/ Abu 7000HSN & 65 PP
Custom AMTAC Patriot 1209 w/Stradic 8000 & 50# PP

spare reel is Baitrunner 6500 w/40# Big Game

1 pair Gladiators
2 sets Breathable Waders w/ Reddington Boots
1 set Hip boots
1 Aquaskinz Evo 2
1 Aquaskinz Hurricane (Alex don't scare Me)
1 Quallity Throw Rope (I do respect Alex)
1 Tote full of clothes and three towels

Accessories include...2 CapeSams (I think) Gill Straps, 2 measuring tapes, two Hat lights, 2 mini Mag Lights, 1 miners light, 2 folding well sharpened buck type knives, 1 luhr Jensen file, 1 50# berkley digital scale, 1 can wd 40, 2 tubes real lube, 2 tubes rocket fuel, 1 tube white grease, 1 short Hand Gaff on Swivel...more but its late

1 Custom 2" Locking Belt w/ 2 Aquaskinz Belt Bags and a couple hanging clips

Large Belt bag
Rigged
3 9" Storm shad...Sardine, Pearl, Bunker
1 Yellow GS Jerk
1 Bubblegum GS Jerk
1 Pearl GS Jerk
1 Black & clear w/ flecks GS Mega Jerk
1 Alewife Sluggo

Small Belt Bag
1 bag 25 # floro leaders w/clips
1 bag 25# floro leaders w/6/0 Gamagatsu Octopus circles
1 small plano with all kinds of swivels and clips and rubber core sinkers

Night Bag
1 Aquaskinz Large Bag with file and clippers
1 Tattoo Needle... Blurple
1 BM Needle... Blurple w/ chartreuse eye
3 Habs Needle... White, Pink, Grey w/ red eye
1 Big Fish Needle... Orange & White
1 BM Danny... Pearl
1 Salty Swimmer Blurple...glow eye
1 Blurple Mambo
1 Black over white Mambo
1 Bubblegum Chicken Scratch Mambo
1 Blurple Super Strike Darter
1 Tattoo Pink & White Darter
1 Parrot Super Strike Darter
2 Gibbs bottlePlugs...Yellow & Blue over white
Various Bucktails by Spro, Smilin Bill & Myself

Day Bag
1 Canyon Large Bag with file and clippers
2 Guppy Polaris...Herring & Squid
1 Gibbs Polaris...Pogie
1 Super Strike Polaris...Pink & White
2 Guppy Pencils...Pearl & Pink over Pearl
1 Yo Zuri Surface Cruiser...Red/Yellow
1 Yo Zuri Surface Cruiser...Herring
1 Polska Swimmer...black over white
1 Olive Mambo
1 Chicken Scratch Mambo
3 roberts Rangers...Chrome, Bananna, Neutral
VArious Tins...Hopkins, castmaster, Point Jude, Hooligan, Acme Needle
Various Jigs...duplicate of above

1 Eel bucket
1 Aquaskinz eel Bag
1 Scotch Brite pad and 1 rag

2 Guide Bags with 9 Plano 3700 Boxes loaded with more of what is located above

Bed is made in Back of Jimmy

2 coolers filled with soda

50 Guppy lures to sell in NY

Off Road kit

replenished CD Packs in Truck

Ok I'm excited...no sleep for me tonight...might as well head to the canal before hookin up with MBBA crew at 8am...

Canal to Montauk...sounds like an article

Good night

fishweewee
08-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Eeeeeee...I cringe at the thought of bashing those nice BM plugs on the rocks. :crying:

Have fun Patrick! I'm j-e-a-l-o-u-s.

Casper
08-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Hi Pat,
Sounds like you needed a tractor-trailer for all that stuff!

Slingah
08-09-2004, 02:55 PM
fill us in dood

spence
08-09-2004, 03:13 PM
that's some list...

To hijack the thread slightly, but maintain the itemized list. What do people carry when eeling/pluging? The bare essentials. I'm trying to figure out what I really need and travel light. Can people fit everything they need in a large plug bag?

-spence

The Iceman 6
08-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Best of Luck. Go with the eels......

NIB
08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
figured U've returned by now but if some one else wants to take notice Montauk Is no place for 25#test leaders it requires 50# leaders I prefer floro.Alberto uses 80# floro.