View Full Version : Beachmaster needles...

TBone
08-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Anyone catching with these? I bought about 9 when they came out and use them every time out, but nothing...have a couple I set up with a colorado blade that look dead sexy in the water and haven't had so much as a hit on them. Beautiful lure, just thinking they may have caught me instead!

tlapinski
08-05-2004, 07:49 AM
T-Bag, you gotta put more time in fishing and less time playing with your eel!

TBone
08-05-2004, 07:55 AM
:bshake:

Strider
08-05-2004, 08:22 AM
T-Bone, I hope you have your cup on and mouth piece in :laughs:
Seriously though, it could be just application at the wrong place and wrong time. You need to take time to experiment with plugs, see what they look like in the suds, their reaction to different retrieval speeds, do they float, do they sink, can I make them dance or can I entice a hit by just dead sticking them in the rough. Keep experimenting and find out what works and what doesn't. I'm no expert, but gaining confidence in a plug is important. ;)

goosefish
08-05-2004, 08:28 AM
TBone---I haven't done much on them myself, but when it comes to the fall and I go back to fishing shallower water I think it could be a killer.

TBone
08-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks John.

striper134
08-05-2004, 11:41 AM
TBone,
First off that Avatar is a riot. Secondly, I agree with the confidence thing. I’m no expert but I take people fishing for a living and thru the last year or two I’ve started to use more lumber when the angler is able. This year the SWE brought them in and I bought a few to use myself and with clients in the boat. IMHO Beachmaster plugs are more superior to any other custom plug out there. His swimmers swim better than any other Danny style swimmer and are extremely durable. The needlefish are heavy but have taken more bigger fish than any other needlefish this year for sure. Beachmaster plugs are the best hands down. This fish was taken last weekend off Newport from the boat on the yellow/olive combo. The angler is my buddy Joel Swan who loves these needlefish as well. Many others this size plus many lost which sucks but that’s fishing. Good luck out there and hopefully this helps.
http://www.unreelcharters.com/images/randomimages/joel40lber_g.jpg

Bernzy
08-05-2004, 12:16 PM
I prefer the Habs needle. Time tested and proven.

Just my $.02

Bernzy

TBone
08-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Corey, please don't get me wrong here, I wasn't knocking the BM needles at all...in fact 3/4 of the wood I have are BM's...I guess the point I was trying to get at, was maybe it was user error...top water needles are new to me, I love they way they swim though. Like Strider said it may take a little usage before I get a true action that will porduce. Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

chris L
08-05-2004, 12:55 PM
3/4 of your plugs are BM plugs ? where did you buy them from ? Ive been looking for them BM plugs for a long time and never seem to find them . I do have 3 swimmers that are of BM wood . I have to fish with him next weekend maybe he will let me use some of his precious needle fish pluggers . I will have to leave my plugs behind and only show up with some bobbers .

Ill be back I have to have a B. M

milo
08-05-2004, 02:38 PM
hey chris ,just keep on stuffin' em in your pocket, and say "chit Dave another blue took my plug"...:eek:

iluvspots
08-05-2004, 02:41 PM
You know, Chris, if you eat enough sawdust your BM's will be very painful indeed. Talk about bloody TP.

chris L
08-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Im back everything is OK now !

LOL
bloody TP then wouldnt that make me a woman .

Strider
08-05-2004, 02:49 PM
ummmm Lou Reed......take a walk on the wild side.... do, dado, dado, dado :smash:

chris L
08-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Holly came from Miami, F.L.A.
Hitch-hiked her way across the USA
Plucked her eyebrows on the way
Shaved her legs and then he was a she
She says, Hey babe
Take a walk on the wild side
She said, Hey honey

Candy came from out on the Island
In the backroom she was everybody's darlin'
But she never lost her head
Even when she was giving head
She says, Hey babe
Said, Hey babe
And the colored girls go
doo do doo do doo do do doo

Little Joe never once gave it away
Everybody had to pay and pay
A hustle here and a hustle there
New York City's the place where they said, Hey babe
I said, Hey Joe

Sugar Plum Fairy came and hit the streets
Lookin' for soul food and a place to eat
Went to the Apollo
You should've seen 'em go go go
They said, Hey sugar
I Said, Hey babe
All right, huh

Jackie is just speeding away
Thought she was James Dean for a day
Then I guess she had to crash
Valium would have helped that bash
Said, Hey babe,

I said, Hey honey

And the colored girls say,
doo do doo do doo do do doo

Strider
08-05-2004, 03:00 PM
OH MY ..........that sounds like Krispy :p

chris L
08-05-2004, 03:12 PM
could be rabbit could be !

bassmaster
08-05-2004, 03:20 PM
i live in hell................

Mr. Sandman
08-05-2004, 03:22 PM
IMO that big plug is not a good "summer plug" , that thing has late october all over it! You should be targeting large fish with that plug.

I think it is a good rock solid needle for those nights when you need a rocketship to cut thru an in-your-face gale. I keep one in my bag but I have not fished it enough yet to render an honest opinion...I'll let you know in Nov.

For most nights in the RI/Ma areas its hard to top the slightly leaner 2.5 oz Habs. This plug has probably caught more bass in the last 10 years then just about anything else I know of with the possible exception of the live eel. But, there are condions when you would like something bigger. (habs 3.5 oz, Habs 12"er and beachmaster needles)

One can usually judge a plugs success by how long it sits on the shelf in the shop....enough said.

Anyway, tonight would be a night to take one of the bigger boys for a late night swim (with this swell/wind up...last night was like a mill pond)

Tattoo
08-05-2004, 04:18 PM
when you need a rocketship to cut thru an in-your-face gale

Hence the Habs "Night and Gale" edition...

....prooved it last November when I called him from Destination X at 2am after loosing the biggest "scup" ever to be seen in these parts. Was into fish in the 18 - 20lb range for about an hour until that freight train showed up. The only thing that casts better than those Habs needles is a 3oz bank sinker, and I have yet to catch a bass on a bank sinker. :smash:

Krispy
08-05-2004, 05:40 PM
which Beachmaster needle??
http://ctfisherman.com/data/364CTYankees-med.jpg
these are both 3.5oz with hooks

SeaWolf
08-07-2004, 08:19 AM
it is tough to compare 2 lures companies that really make opposite types of plugs. the needlefish area is one that they both beachmaster and habs produce. i am a big fan of beachmaster plugs as they blow away anything that gibbs and bm make of each other. but, when you compare quality of the products, there is no comparison of a habs to almost anything! habs puts much more time in sanding and painting that most others. habs' appretice (tattoo) has equal quality. see what happens when you learn from the best? so needle to needle, i'll take a habs as it is proven and has caught way more fish. look how long it takes the walls to be strip clean of habs plugs. that's is the mark of a proven lure. 'nuff said.

Nebe
08-07-2004, 12:53 PM
habs...:love: they're hard to figure out how to use, but once you get it, watch out! CHOMP......ZING...................><))))°>