View Full Version : HMS Bag and Size Limits

Fish On
08-05-2004, 09:21 AM
I'd like to print out the latest regulations (cuz you never know what you might catch) for all HMS species. I'll be darned if I can find it on the website. Anyone know where I could print this off?

Thanks!

hooked
08-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Should be here...

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/rec_info.htm

or here...

http://www.nmfspermits.com/news.asp

Good luck on your trip.

Mr. Sandman
08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
If you see a boat bringing home more then one bft...who do you call?

Fish On
08-05-2004, 07:56 PM
OK, 1 BFT per vessel per day between 27 and 73. Can I still keep 1 per season greater than 73? (angling category). Not that I could get one in, but just in case I hook into a really big but really old and tired giant.

Mr. Sandman
08-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Fishon...your right, that website is UNCLEAR about that issue. It was one bft between 27-73 per day and one >73 per season. Then it was uped to 2 fish between 27-73 and now it is back to one with no mention of the >73 catch. HOW COME THEY DO NOT AT LEAST EMAIL US WHEN THE RULES CHANGE?!!

From what I am seeing... people are ignoring this license. Most people who are not commerical will take what they catch.

One 27" tuna is hardly worth the effort IMO. If you hook several 50-100#ers.....your can only take one...right? In theory, this license is not for taking BUT for FISHING, and after you have caught one, in theory you should stop fishing because any fishing for tuna beyond the limit violates the rules as I read them.

This is YET ANOTHER example of botched up implimentation by a management guided by science for a rule or law that can't be realistically policed with some paultry budget. There has GOT to be a better way!!!

Fish On
08-05-2004, 11:56 PM
I won't even ask my next George Carlin question....

Ok I will.

I go to Block Island on Friday. I catch a 40" bluefin on Sat, clean it and keep it in a cooler at the dock. I go fishing Sunday and catch another of the same size. I also clean that one at the dock.

Now it'e tim to go home. I load my 2 bluefin tuna into the boat, each caught on separate trips on separate days. I drive to Pt Judith and pull out the boat. There I get stopped by the env. police for a standard inspection. They find 8 loins (2 fish) in my cooler.

What happens?

Mr. Sandman
08-06-2004, 07:15 AM
:huh:

likwid
08-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Hand the EP a steak and tell him to have a nice day? :laughs: