View Full Version : 60 foot Hatteras ran over the old Sow

likwid
08-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Its sitting over at Fairhaven Shipyard now.

Tore one prop, shaft and strut off.
Tore a stabilizer off
Drove the other stabilizer and prop/shaft/strut up through the hull

20 foot long crack along the edge of the hull below the water line and a few other man sized holes in the hull.

Was doing approx. 30-40 knots when it hit pigs.

Insurance company totaled it.

Good job!

Van
08-05-2004, 03:51 PM
:hs: :hs: :doh: :doh:

Clammer
08-05-2004, 03:59 PM
as long as no one got hurt =GOTTA love it :happy:

Vectorfisher
08-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Everytime I see that reef I get the willy's. couldnt imagine running into that not knowing it was there.:(

likwid
08-05-2004, 05:22 PM
It was on autopilot with nobody manning it...

Probably sitting there reading a book while it happily plowed towards the boulders.

Fish On
08-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Autopilot at that speed? Wow.

Why wouldn't the autopilot know the reef was there as a hazard?

Mr. Sandman
08-05-2004, 05:53 PM
That reef can eat anything.

It always amazes me when I lfish that place, look at my sounder and it reads 24' and 6' to my starboard is the top of a bolder awash.

Vectorfisher
08-05-2004, 07:16 PM
I would like to throw my dive gear on someday and see what is under there. I bet it's even scarier down under:eek5: :eek5:

Mike P
08-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by likwid
It was on autopilot with nobody manning it...

Probably sitting there reading a book while it happily plowed towards the boulders.

Or down in the cockpit pounding down a few beers, like the two maroons who ran their sportfisher up onto False Bar at Montauk a few years back.

I think if you hit at 30 knots, you gotta be drunk not to break something on yourself and not just on the boat :hs:

likwid
08-06-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Vectorfisher
I would like to throw my dive gear on someday and see what is under there. I bet it's even scarier down under:eek5: :eek5:

House size rocks, human sized stripers and more lobsters hiding in the rocks than you can shake a stick at.

The shaft that was sitting out there (was "informed" by the salvage diver on that job) magically was gone by yesterday morning...

Thats alot of scrap stainless :D

Lotta bottom paint on some of the boulders out there. :laughs: