View Full Version : Conventional reel for shore fishing?

S-Journey
08-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Need some suggestions from the surf clan. I've been thinking about getting a conventional reel for my surf rod and was wondering what you guys use, or would suggest?

I was looking at an Abu BG7000HS yesterday but decided to hold off until I get some input from you guys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated--

SmokeBringer
08-11-2004, 09:59 AM
I use a Calcutta 400. I find this reel particularly resistant to saltwater corrosion. It's expensive but if you lube it every once in a while it should last for many seasons.

spence
08-11-2004, 10:33 AM
I've got two BG7000's, the HS and HSN as well as a Calcutta 400. They are all great reels. I use the Abu's in the surf and the Calcutta when it won't get dunked. They all will throw plugs and eels, but I'd lean to the HS if you were going to throw bait or need to hold a lot of mono.

-spence

fishweewee
08-11-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm going to sound like a broken record...but...

For the surf, my go-to conventionals are the older Abu models -

the 7500 CT Big Game (black, non-levelwind)
the 7500 C3CT (blue, non-levelwind)

and

the 7000 CL Big Game (black, levelwind)

It's worth it to shop around for these reels IMO, the latest generation of Abu's aren't as good as the older product, thanks to Pure Fishing. If you go with Abus, replace the drag washers with Xtreme Smoothies.

The Calcutta 700 is a nice reel, but it has relatively limited line capacity relative to its peers and does not like to get dunked. Calcuttas come with or without levelwinds (designated by "S" model suffix). Drag and bearings fine out of the box.

Other options are the Newell P-series (220, 229, 235). Best to get these reels with ALUMINUM spools - charkbait.com has a bunch of limited-production Newells with aluminum spools. These are all non levelwinds. Upgrade your fiber drag washers with Xtreme Smoothies and replace the metal washers while you're at it.

If you're a chunker, you should check out the Daiwa Sealine X 20 SHV or the 30 SHV's (collectively known as "SloSH"). No mods needed - smooth casting out of the box with FABULOUS drags. Relatively cheap too. Con: graphite body.

-WW

5/0
08-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Quote"I've been thinking about getting a conventional reel for my surf rod and was wondering what you guys use, or would suggest?" End Quote

What are you refering to as Shore fishing.Beach,jetties or the Canal?

5/0

Roseneath
08-11-2004, 11:51 AM
I use the Calcutta 400 with 30# PowerPro... I've had no issues to speak-of.

S-Journey
08-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 5/0
What are you refering to as Shore fishing.Beach,jetties or the Canal?

5/0

Beach--

Need something that doesn't mind getting dunked, because it will go under often where I fish.

The reel will be used for eels, plugs and tin only and will never see a chunk of bait unless I put it on a boat rod someday in the future.

spence
08-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I think you need one of these. (http://www.striped-bass.com/StriperTalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17038)

-spence

S-Journey
08-11-2004, 12:32 PM
levelwind, or non-levelwind, that is the question:-)

I would think you would get more distance casting a non-levelwind, is this true?

I'm planning on using 50#PP with 25# Big Game backing on this reel. How are these reels with casting braid?

fishweewee
08-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Levelwinds cut distance by about 15%.

If you're going to use braid, and are starting out with conventionals, maybe it would be wise to start out with a level-wind reel.

5/0
08-11-2004, 12:38 PM
I have used my Calcutta 700s / G-Loomis 1267C 10'6" MF.
To the Back Beach's a couple of times, It work's awesome for Plugs,Tin's & jigs.but I found that w/eels it was a kind of a hinderance.Eel size was a factor plus when flipping eels the drag they would cause(eels) would also cause frequent backlases.

Also I got dunked a couple of time @ the beach and sand granules got wedged between my spool and frame witch cause cosmetic damage to my spoole.don't foget about the weep holes that conventional reels have so they are subject to what ever can fit in them.....:eek:

The Past two years I've been using a St Croix 10 w/ a Fin-Nor 16a w/50# powerPro. lite pole but matched up w/ a Very heavy reel it works great.
This year I bought a 9'St Croix and put my 12A Fin-Nor w/50#power Pro also just as effective, but much lighter.

If IM going to just use eels I will bring the Spining gear,but If I was to go at dusk or dawn & throw artificials I would go w/ conventional outfit.Then again if I had a sticker I would bring all three:happy:

My.02
Good luck on your choice!!

5/0

spence
08-11-2004, 12:50 PM
If you're new to conventional I'd get a level-wind and stick with mono...just my experience.

-spence

chris L
08-11-2004, 01:02 PM
I dont know any conventional that like to be dunked . But Im not too knowledgable about fishing .
New to conventionals go levelwind . get something in the 6500 size min or 7000 size . if you get an abu change out the drag washers to Xtreme smoothies .

I would buy a 7000CL big game solidly built and not expensive 179.00 or so . put on 25# mono or 35# spectron braid . I found this braid to work quite well on a conventional . or you could try out M$Ds new abu 7000 M&D hsn . its a gear change to the 7000 hsn .

S-Journey
08-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm going to take Fishweewee and Chris L's suggestion and try a 7000CL Big Game with levelwind. If the conventional doesn't work out for me I'll use it on the boat and stick to the spinning gear.

Thanks again--