View Full Version : Two men face charges for stolen goods

NilsC
08-11-2004, 12:49 PM
An article in the ProJo,

http://www.projo.com/eastbay/content/projo_20040811_lcthft11.1accd5.html

01:00 AM EDT on Wednesday, August 11, 2004

LITTLE COMPTON -- Two men were arrested Monday after the police found them with items stolen from houses on Sakonnet Point Road and in Westport, Mass., according to Officer Dan Martin, who assisted with the arrest. The police have also tied the men to a string of boat break-ins at Sakonnet Harbor and larcenies reported two weeks ago, Martin said.

Luther C. Parente, 20, of 305 Long Highway, and Daniel S. Carreiro, 20, of 59 Colebrook Rd., were each charged with one count of breaking and entering the home of a person over the age of 60, three counts of larceny under $500, and one count of receiving stolen goods.

They could face additional charges pending further investigation of the boat thefts, as well as separate charges of breaking and entering and larceny in Westport, the police said.

Officer John Faria encountered Parente and Carreiro standing next to a pickup truck parked on Sakonnet Point Road near West Main Road, according to the police. The truck had a flat tire.

When Faria looked inside the cab of the truck, he saw bottles of liquor, as well as three bottles of prescription medicine that allegedly did not belong to either of the men.

He later found a television set, and a plastic bag containing a Playstation II, several DVDs, and videogames inside the bed of the truck, partially covered by a blanket.

Faria and Martin arrested the men for being in possession of the prescription drugs, and used the labels on the bottles to trace items in the truck back to the Elephant Rock Beach Club in Westport and a residence on Sakonnet Point Road. The police would not disclose the exact location of the residence.

After going to the Sakonnet Point address to notify the occupants, police discovered that the residence had been occupied by 14 people at the time of the break-in.

"They were surprised to find out that someone was walking around in there while they were sleeping," he said.

The police were also able to recover items that had been stolen from boats at Sakonnet Harbor two weeks ago.

Parente and Carreiro were arraigned Monday afternoon at the police station by a bail commissioner, and taken to the Adult Correctional Institutions, where they were held for the night.

They appeared in District Court for bail review yesterday morning. Carreiro was released on $1,000 personal recognizance. Parente was released on $1,000 cash bail from District Court, but was than held pending a referral by the attorney general's office as a bail violator to the Superior Court.

Peter Lajoie
08-11-2004, 12:57 PM
I know I have heard about one of them in the news before.

Im glad they got caught.

chipwood
08-11-2004, 03:07 PM
The police in LC are tough. I've been pulled over before in my truck and in other trucks. If they don't know your vehicle and your going a smidge over the speed limit, they'll pull you over. Lots of guys that work in LC get their equipment stolen out there. Trucks just go in there looking to take stuff. My friend lives in LC and he mentioned some kids with drug problems and I would'nt be surprised if drugs had something to do with the break-ins.

PurpelNoon
08-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Nice to see a thief being nailed for a change. Next I'd like to see the guys who steal rods/reels get dealt with.

macojoe
08-12-2004, 08:46 PM
I go to court next week for the stolen stuff from my boat this summer.

PurpelNoon
08-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Good luck. I hope they nail them. Congrats for testifying.