View Full Version : Mechanical Question

Newboater
08-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi,

Can I have your thoughts if you know about inboard/outboard engines.

1. Had a skeg repaired that was bent by previous owner. Good job and fast service.
2. When the lower unit was put back on, there was no shifting forward or reverse.
3. Standing there I watched the mechanic remove the lower unit and found they forgot/misplaced a washer on the small shaft connecting to a knuckle of some kind controling the shift connection.
4. They put in a washer and voila, the shifting worked again.
5. I took the boat out to go fishing and it ran well. Then after 45 minutes of running a high pitched noise and NO gearing. Drifted and had to be towed back.
6. Seems a long stemmed gear from lower unit to upper had overheated and seized up and sheared off.

My question: When they removed the lower unit after starting the motor and getting no shift, absolutely no lubricant leaked out of the lower unit when it was removed. Is this right? I thought there should be something inside that lower unit between it and the upper unit which should have dripped out when they removed it.

Since I'm a new boater I took the mechanics word that somehow the bearing seized, built up heat and sheared off. But I'm still bothered by the fact that when they took off the lower unit absolutely no oil or whatever dripped out. Is that right? BTW it was the long shaft with gears that goes from lower unit to upper unit connection. The gears are not chipped nor warn as he showed them to me on the workbench.

B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand.

Thanks for listening

Sarge

BigBo
08-12-2004, 09:10 AM
The lubricant is in the lower unit itself, not between the lower and upper.
I thin it's time to find a new mechanic though.