View Full Version : Backside Big Fish

redlite
08-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Well, now that the comm season is over, perhaps people will be less tight lipped about catches. Nice to be able to fish for fun again.
I hit the back beaches for a few hours the other night with my Pops and fishin partner for the first time in several weeks. Was nice to have clean water.
Fishing was still real slow. I talked to a couple of the sand commies I know down there and they said it has been real bad down there for them this year. Weeded beaches and lack of fish. Damn seals.
Now that it is over, has anyone heard of any consistent numbers of big fish from down the back side in general? For the couple of them in that loop, they had very, very few fish over 20 lbs. That's a lot of sand pounded from sun up to sun down for 5 weeks with no big fish.
Has anyone else had or heard of consistent big 'uns from down there? Any possible explanations why/ why not?

Peter Lajoie
08-12-2004, 12:14 PM
I was told the same thing yesterday when I talked to a couple guys in RI who stopped fishing there and now go to RI.

They said this is probaly one of the worst years for big fish after dark. I fished the back beaches pretty hard sunday night and monday night and all I got were a couple of blues and allot of eel cigars.

Theres allot of seals out there. I saw one at the traps with a bass in its mouth around 14 pounds. They are some big seals too..

Who here thinks we should have a control killing on them.

Dont they club seals in england or something because there are so many of them.:af:

seals:rocketem:

fishsmith
08-12-2004, 12:22 PM
I don't think its just the back beaches, the fishing in dux/kings/plymouth bays has been very slow this year. Maybe its a cycle and we're heading into the lean years like in the 80's?

BigFish
08-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Slingah and I saw a young kid with a seal on last night at the Race!:af: Can you say..."seal burgers"?:smash: Was down there all day until last night about 10:30 Redlite....water was crystal clean on the backside, even the Mission Bell side of the Race (never seen it clean over there this time of the year but it was crystal) got a little weedy for about a half mile up towards Head of The Meadow till' the trail ended. Slingah and I just got some blues. Saw the Bomba boys doing well on the Race by dropping their sand eel rigs out of the kayak and heading back to shore. They said they were catching some bass.:D Folks I talked to said the fishing is way off this season.:huh:

Hope the Fall is alot better!;)

NilsC
08-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Dont they club seals in england or something because there are so many of them.:af:

seals:rocketem: [/B]
I don't know if they club seals in england. Here is a site on using baseball bat for penguins in France (http://home.tele2.fr/kcv/pinguin.swf):smash:

Peter Lajoie
08-12-2004, 12:34 PM
yeah I talked to bomba and he said him and rick are getting bass 15 to 20 pounds in the day by doing that.

Krispy
08-12-2004, 01:06 PM

Flaptail
08-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Listen boys, I only tell it straight and the fishing has s@#$%^ the big one out there this year. Biggest fish was one loaner at the beginning of July that was 47 inches long and very fat but was the result of fishing all night ( 5pm to 6 am) with only 3 hits. I have been fishing up there a few nights a week and out of the last four weeks I have caught maybe a dozen bass (small) and a couple rat blues. Last Friday night I was at Race Point at half tide down to low water and had the place to myself which was very weird. One guy with bait rods pulled early in the tide and left then it was just me. Two hours into the incoming they showed for an hour and then split as fast as they had showed, bing bam boom and gone. It will get better but I think we may be in for a October like last year where they just didn't hang around. Better fishing west from the canal to Barnstable. Sandy Neck may be the place to have a ticket for unlikely as that may sound. Gotta be able to work long hard hours for them or you will go fishless. If you cannot fish straight from sundown to sunup non-stop you might as well stay home. An hours catnap and you might miss the whole deal. The fish are not paying attention to the rules of tide dependency as they once used to.:(

Slingah
08-12-2004, 02:00 PM
wait-a-minute....is that the I.F.H. asking for a backside report??:laughs: :laughs:

The Iceman 6
08-12-2004, 03:07 PM
NilsC -

That game is "addicting" Remember "Club Sandwiches not Seals" Unless they are in your spot of course.....

Backbeach Jake
08-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Flap, I'm glad it's not just me this season. S'been a long time since I've worked so hard for fish. Was thinkin' That I had some shameful disease or something. Didn't want to talk about it.
And BigFish, you don't know how jealous I am right now. Stupid job, keeps me away. :smash:

Slingah
08-12-2004, 05:08 PM
oh ya.....we saw a crapload of seals where there was no muck

Karl F
08-12-2004, 05:52 PM
I checked this thread... I can put the razor blades, 9mm, and rope away ;) (sorry for everybody, but GLAD it weren't just me!)
Seriously, it did remind me of those dreaded "eighties"... shudder----

was gonna go wet a line tanight... think I'll get friendly with my lathe, instead...

checked the surf... no waves, FAC, was hoping Bonnie and Charlie, would be starting something, meybe tomorrow

capesams
08-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Well! with sandeels the size of hot dogs just a mile or more off the beach an the beach patroll[seals] roaming up an down,,it's no wonder there's no fish to speak of ,,,,it's been like this now fa atleast 3-4 years,,,,,when the beach guy's are dry..I can take the boat out in front of the same beach an load up with fish...not braggin,,,just fact............an on the fall run, I beleive the fish are staying well outside too...that an the fact I also think alot more of the fish are going through the ditch on the return trip as well. Reason being is when they come down from up north, their following the bigger bait,,which is not going outside around the cape......just my .02

ps...there's more fish around now then ever before....off shore...

Karl F
08-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Sssshhhuush CS, you'll only have yerself to blame, do you know how many guys are gonna buy boats now?

There are some ( key word being, SOME) nice fish around the beaches... guys sharper than myself, (I know, that means almost anybody :rolleyes: )
have been catching some, I've seen their checks, and some of the fish, too. twinkfest, or skunkfest, guess I'll have to take what I can get--------> till I get a boat, and follow U around :laughs:

capesams
08-12-2004, 08:30 PM
didn't say there weren't any on tha beach,,just said there's more OUT IN THE OCEAN...:happy::bshake:

macojoe
08-12-2004, 08:33 PM
I agree Cape!!
I have caught so many fish this year I can say I am sick of chasing Stripers!!
But there has been a lack of big fish?? But this is Chatam any way!! The home of the famous 33 1/2 inch fish.
But they are stacked up like coard wood!!

capesams
08-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Mac...if your fishin around that can, your fishin in what we call kiddy land:hihi: an no ya can't have my #er's:p

macojoe
08-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Thats were i take my charters!! But I have not caught anything of size my self this year :smash:
But i did get 2700 # this year, not my best and not my worse.
Now that I have a real job I had alot less time to stay on top of them. But next year I will have like 3 weeks off and I will be ready!!