View Full Version : Beach Fishing

Raider Ronnie
08-14-2004, 06:51 AM
I'm thinking of picking up some gear to fish the beach, but I have to admit, I'm at a loss of what I need.
Seeing that I won't likely do it too often, how much should I spend and what should I buy?
Thanks
Raider Ronnie

thefishingfreak
08-14-2004, 07:02 AM
:eek: are you alright??
doin' a little boozin' last night??:gu:

don't do it man.
you'll be standin on the beach losing you mind. and thinking,,,
"why the heck am i not out on the boat"
:walk: like missing link says, why walk when you can float to the fish?

BigFish
08-14-2004, 07:33 AM
He is gonna be chauffer driven by me soon!:ss: Get an ugly stick Ron.....something with a medium action. ;)

Hooked4ever
08-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
Get an ugly stick Ron.....something with a medium action. ;) [/B]

I'm landlocked and have been using a 9ft medium action Shakespeare protouch that was used by my grandfather for years, and it's still the best rod I've used. As for a reel just buy a spinning reel that works. Don't go with something too expensive in case u drop it in wet sand or something. I did that last year w/ a really good reel I had, and I cleaned it out and it still doesn't work properly after many hours of work I've put into it. :wall:

Raider Ronnie
08-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by thefishingfreak
:eek: are you alright??
doin' a little boozin' last night??:gu:

don't do it man.
you'll be standin on the beach losing you mind. and thinking,,,
"why the heck am i not out on the boat"
:walk: like missing link says, why walk when you can float to the fish?

Mike,
I've got no intentions on giving up my boat but want to try the beach thing and am planning to take my family up for the Tri-State weekend coming up.
As for the rod set up, I guess I can use one of my Baitrunner 6500, but what do most spool them up with?
I've got 1 spooled with new 65# Power Pro now, would that do?
As for a rod, Mediul action? how many ft? 1 or 2 peice?
Should I get waders and if so what kind?
I've got a pair of Hodgeman, but some mice got to them over last winter and chewed a hole in them:laughs:
How about plugs?
Larry,
Hows my silver and black ones coming!!!;) ;) ;)
any thing elso that I will need?
Thanks
Ronnie
Let my education begin!!!

BigFish
08-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Working on plugs now......you want poppers or needlefish?:D

BigFish
08-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Ron...find a 9' medium action ugly stick and a reel thats cheap....Okuma might be about right! Spool it up with 15-17 pound Berkely Big Game mono in green (I like the 15#). The mono gives you better action on the plug (in my opinion) than braid etc.) But hey, after all.....I am a mono guy!:huh:

That outfit outta run you about $100.00 with the mono!;)

beachwalker
08-14-2004, 11:16 AM
you'll find the gear. A good 9'6"-10 ish rod with a medium heavy spin. I use the Penn 460 & 560. Fairly inexpensive and they hold up well.

A good headlamp. I pull it down around my neck. Get the one with three lights. the red bulb is the most used one.

Get a good plug belt that holds 6-8 plugs. You will rotate through and have a selection to reload depending upon where and when you are.

I find the nylon/neoprenes the best for walking and pissing. Korkers if you are on the rocks AT ALL !

Some way to bring water. The small collapsable hiking bottles are good. Two of them and you are good for a few hours. Sometimes I will carry a pack and can bring another rod/reel more tackle.

bring cutting pliers to solve any self hook issues.

Drink beers heavily before hand. Unless you've got one of those helmets it is hard to hold your drink and walk and cast at the same time. I gave up on it

:laughs:

Have fun. In the fall when it is too breezy to boat or it is night, it is the only way to go :D

bassmaster
08-14-2004, 11:19 AM
try a 1088 or a 1087
http://www.capecodtackle.com/ can help Ya.
If Your in RI then im sure Joe can help Ya

Fisherwoman
08-14-2004, 03:35 PM
ron if you could use some help i would be glad sense i have fished tri state sense 1985 you can call me at home bc. ps. you can get my number just click on bill n juls

Van
08-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by BigFish
He is gonna be chauffer driven by me soon!:ss: Get an ugly stick Ron.....something with a medium action. ;)

WOW, just ask me or Tom about UGLY sticks eh BF ????

Glad to be back, good stories from Lk. Ontario...later...V