View Full Version : Water around newport today

BrianS
08-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Was thinking of heading down there later this afternoon

Any idea what the water is like? I know the islands may break up the nastiness a bit, but dont want to drive all the way down there to find out we arent gonna launch

Crafty Angler
08-15-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm gonna check it out in about 15 minutes - I'll let ya know if you're still online.

I heard this morning (second-hand, remember) that it was surprisingly smaller than predicted.

HOWEVER, don't take chances - and use your head for more than a hat rack, as dad used to say - even a small looking swell after a storm has the potential of producing a very LARGE anomylous wave occasionally sweeping over everything. And sweeping everything over.

No fish is worth drowning over, dude....:hs:

BrianS
08-15-2004, 08:22 PM
We did end up going out... It wasnt as bad as it could of been... It was ok to fish in, and as the afternoon went on., it got a little calmer....

It was a little choppy, but fun

No bass, but plenty of piranah's... BIG piranah's

SMART piranah's who only wanted full eels.

:)

Crafty Angler
08-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Went ou front for a while tonite and the swell wasn't very big - but after dark it really starting to pump at high slack.

Saw 2 guys where they shouldn't have been without Korkers after dark - :hs: - releasing bluefish by going down on the black rocks with regular soled boots....not real bright.