View Full Version : How much does a 50#er weigh

bloocrab
08-15-2004, 10:32 AM
I'd like to catch a "WORLD RECORD" fish just like the rest of you ... but something happened the other day that really got me thinking. I'm sure some of you have children and can understand what I'm about to ask - I don't have any children but what happened to me the other day really surprised me -

I had been promising my nephew that I'd take him out Bloooocrabbing this season, but with my screwed up schedule it gets kind of hectic. After hearing...."hey, uncle Gilly...when are we going for crabs" about 10 times,... I KNEW I HAD to make time, not just for him...but for us. He's a very special child, (my only nephew and extremely bright)....anyway - this past week, I finally got my a$z in gear and took a day off. When I picked him up, ...he had all his stuff ready, extra clothes in a bag, water shoes, sun-block, a small lunch box .....and he even asked his mother to pack some extra snacks for "uncle Gilly" - :blush: like I said, a SUPER KID!!

We had a GREAT time, he had many more questions for me this year, "how do you know if it's a boy or a girl crab?"..."why do crabs walk sideways?"..."why do they like chicken if chickens don't live in the water?"...."why is that crab so soft?"...."why do we have to throw the girl crabs back?" etc..etc.......it was a GREAT day!!

After spending a SUPER day together, it was time to get really wet. We headed to a nearby beach where I watched as he played in the waves while telling me stories about our day together. He was still very excited...and as much as I may not have shown it, I was the one who was really HAPPY. I was able to share something with someone I love very dearly, something that I hope will be remembered well after I'm gone. It's amazing when you actually take the time to realize what your life is all about and where you set your priorities. After watching him for awhile ..my mind wandered....I then asked myself, "What would I have traded this day for?"....."a 50/60 or even a 70 pounder?"..........:confused:

Thinking of the countless hours I've spent fishing over the past 20+ years in the search for the BIGGEST fish no matter the species as I've targeted many species over the years, I couldn't believe my own answer :eek:

What would you do?

bloocrab
08-15-2004, 10:52 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

chris L
08-15-2004, 11:00 AM
um 50# ? right ? no no wait 28# yeah yeah thats it 37#

BigFish
08-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Bloo-Crab.....nice story, real nice!;) You my friend, are someone who "gets it"! Instilling knowledge and memories into a young one by spending the time and making the effort pays many times over in great satisfaction.:D And yes....he will remember Uncle Gilly if he is as bright a child as you say he is.....he will always remember, and maybe do the same for his children someday......or a special niece or nephew of his own.:btu: Thanks for sharing BC and you know what some of the guys here on the site say......you will have great Karma! Maybe that 50 or 60 or 70 pounder will come your way. Thanks for sharing.:)

bassmaster
08-15-2004, 11:40 AM
You Guys had Fun:D

Clammer
08-15-2004, 11:54 AM
YO BLoo A fish of any size can,t replace the day you had with your nephew // & you fortunate enough to know it //as I,ve said to ya before //ENJOY// and you did ==it doesn,t get any better than that === no matter what the alternative may be ///:claps: :claps:

bart
08-15-2004, 12:04 PM
cool kid

NIB
08-15-2004, 12:13 PM
I'd nock the kid out o the way for a 50.:D Only kiddin I remember the days my grandfather took me fishin when I was his age we also used to go crabbin.those where special times I'll never forget an i'm sure that little guy won't either.Nice one. thanks for sharin.

JohnR
08-15-2004, 12:31 PM
:btu:

You Cannibal

schoolie monster
08-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Whenever we get into those "large" vs. "small" discussions, I'm always saying I don't care.

This is exactly why. I'd love to get a 50... I'd love to set a record, it would be cool no doubt.

But its gonna have to happen while I'm doing it my way. My way often includes fishing with my daughter, tossin' light tackle at small fish.... The ride is more important to me than the end result.

We don't always have great days together out there, so would I trade a single trip for a 50lber... some of them I would.

But I won't sacrifice spending time with her or other family/friends on a regular basis for the chance of some huge fish. I'll certainly take some time to target big fish and go out alone or whatever, but I'm not going to be on some life mission where I'm going to target large all the time at the expense of the other stuff.

rob-s
08-15-2004, 01:16 PM
nice photos and story:cool:
you can tell he will be striper fishing in no time;)

Crafty Angler
08-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Nice story, Bloo - ya know, ultimately that is what it's all about - good for you, Gilly, for having your priorities straight - salut, bro :cheers:

Ya know, all of us have spent a lot of time, effort and money in search of the Holy Grail Bass of a Lifetime... but ya still gotta remember what matters most.

Your nephew will remember that day with Uncle Gilly for the rest of his young life and you gave him something money can't buy and no one can ever take away from him.

I dunno, the whole 50 thing - I figure one day I might hit my 50 - or I might not. I'm ready any time now, but in a way, it doesn't drive me as hard as it used to.

When it does happen, I hope it makes me feel as good as I did a coupla days ago sharing the excitement of one of nature's great spectacles in the surf with my wife and as pleased as seeing her catch her very first bass ever.

Coodeesh, man - I must be gettin' philosophical in my old age :smokin:

Moose Nuckle
08-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Uncle Gilly,
" YOU DID THE RIGHT THING !!! ":D

GBOUTDOORS
08-15-2004, 01:56 PM
I would get a six pack of Sam Light and cook the crabs!!!!!!

YUM YUM.

DaveS
08-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Bloo, thats awesome man. It's great to spend a day with the kids aint it?

Jenn
08-15-2004, 04:21 PM
What timing for this thread!!!! I dont have kids either but it has to do with my parents (that I dont spend enough time with)! They have been on vacation down the cape and we met up with them this weekend, I meant to do as much fishing as possible as I havent seen the surf much at all this year. Needless to say spending time with them became more important than the fishing!!!!!!!

A 50# fish doesnt weigh as much when there is no one around to share the moment with!!!!:eek: ;) :D

afterhours
08-15-2004, 04:26 PM
i'd trade my 50+ lb striper to fish one more time with my dad who passed away. would'nt matter what we caught.

capesams
08-15-2004, 06:08 PM
http://66.31.249.101/DSC00852.JPG

wouldn't trade this for 10 50's.:D

Karl F
08-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Nice one CS :claps:

Raider Ronnie
08-15-2004, 06:44 PM
The ultimate would be,
after crabing with your nephew, fishing with him also and HE caught that "world record" fish!!!

Have I mention (today) my 6 year old son (Raider Leo)
wire jigged a 20 # bass a month ago and jigged up a mid 20# cod from 300 plus ft of water a week ago :D all by himself!!!
He also drives the boat in while I wash up the boat;)

As you can see, I also agree that this is what it's all about!!!

Raider Ronnie

Backbeach Jake
08-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by JohnR

You Cannibal
that's the best Bloo!:D I miss those days , mine are all grown now. Don't want a world record, what I want are several close ones every year.;)

jim24
08-15-2004, 08:56 PM
the hunt for the big fish goes on and on....little ones get older before you know it.....you did the right thing.....just yesterday my fourteen year old daughter was only two....time fiies.....enjoy the moment....cool:D

Slipknot
08-15-2004, 09:54 PM
One net - $9.99
One bucket - $0.50
A chicken rack - free leftovers
Crabpot - $ whatever crabpots cost
Experiencing a day like that with your nephew answering his questions and having fun putting smiles on both your faces = PRICLESS!:happy: :happy:

:btu: Good for you guys :btu:

Capesams, is that Sam?:D NICE

Goose
08-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Awsome pics:btu:

Hooper
08-16-2004, 05:40 AM
No man has ever lie on his death bed saying "I wish I had spent more time at work"

Good for you!

capesams
08-16-2004, 05:41 AM
shore is:D

fishweewee
08-16-2004, 07:15 AM
I think CS's pic sums it up for me. :D

fishweewee
08-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by JohnR

You Cannibal

:laughs: :rotf2: :rotf3: :rotfl:

Basstime
08-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Hey Bloo!

Only one thing could top that.........
Do it again!!

Saltheart
08-17-2004, 08:07 AM
You definitely have your priorities straight Bloo!

bloocrab
08-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the GREAT replys :claps: :claps:

But here's the awful part -

Had I been asked this question a couple of weeks ago, my answer might have been "Become the World Record" holder. :( Sometimes you need to experience something in order to be reminded of what's most important. I probably would have said, "I can take my nephew anytime, I WANT THE WORLD RECORD FISH!!!:D"....but the truth is, :( I don't take my nephew anytime...I hardly take him at all....yet his eyes are always full of hope when he sees me with a decent fish or any fish at all. He'll ask me, "can I come with you sometime?"......and of course I say, "sure, I'll take you sometime...but I normally go at night and it's too late for you to come with me"....I know that most of the time I'm just saying that to passify, I don't want a child holding me back, SHAME ON ME!!.... because I know I can take him scupping some morning, I just don't make the time...and that would satisfy him just as much. As a child, my brother was the "rock thrower" of the family, my father would take us fishing...I would be incredibly into it....my brother would wander off and throw rocks in the water (which really pissed both of us off...lol). Point is, he doesn't fish...so the only opportunity my nephew has is with me. I don't want to get too personal...I'm a bit of a private person. I just hope some of you out there can relate to my story and possibly open your eyes and hearts to our young generation that has yet to evolve. Teach them not to leave trash behind, tell them stories about the spots you've lost due to irresponsible anglers...and remind them that the bigger fish always came from these lost spots ;)....and don't take for granted what YOU can learn from THEM about yourself. :)

Happy Fishing -

schoolie monster
08-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Bloo, you've gotta take him fishing. Its a whole new world.

I'll hand off almost every fish to my daughter that I hook... you don't care about yourself anymore, it becomes "we" caught fish. I'll take time out to net some crabs or starfish off the rocks.

I'm not going to paint this picture that its like rainbows and flower petals falling from the sky 'cause its not. It can be high maintenance and sometimes you just want to troll the kid behind the boat for makos... but it also can be the coolest thing to see those eyes light up.

And in 10 years, you may have a permanent fishing buddy that will be pushin' you for that 50#er.

GaryK2
08-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Nice post Bloo. In my mind its a no brainer...it would be the kid. There will always be fish in sea, but you can never go back and make up lost time.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but here is something I posted last week on a few other sites. ........ Bloo I don't think a 70# could change my mind.

as written 8/6/04..................

Ryan’s Lyin’. That is the name of my boat. But it wasn’t always named that.

The “Lyin” is a play on words for Lion, as it was named after someone who had the courage of one. “Lyin’? Because we prayed endlessly that it wasn’t true.

Tomorrow, my wife and two daughters will observe the five year anniversary of the passing of our son. Ryan passed away on August 7, 1999 from complications from a mitochondria disorder, which in laymen’s terms is our energy producing system. He was 15 days short of his first birthday.

If you had asked me six years ago, right after Ryan was born, I would have told you I was the luckiest man alive. I always wanted to have a family, and now ours was complete; two beautiful girls and finally a son - a rather handsome one - to even things up around the house. I was on cloud nine the day Ryan was born, but was soon brought back down to earth in the months that followed as we searched for a diagnosis, treatment, answers, and support.

Yes losing a child is one of the hardest things to endure. At the time, I didn’t know how we could possibly bounce back. But we have. And while it has come to be almost a cliché, it is true what they say, an event like this really puts things in perspective. Now, when the car breaks down or when things aren’t going quite right, it doesn’t seem all that bad.

The day before Ryan passed away I wrote “Ryan’s Rock” a tribute to the little guy that I posted on another fishing website. Tim Coleman published Ryan’s Rock in the Fisherman Magazine and a few other fishing websites carry it in their article sections. When I wrote Ryan’s Rock, I was in a desperate battle against time that I knew we were going to lose. At the time I wanted to tell the whole world about our Ryan; for we were about to lose a young man that the world would never come to know. Where better than a group of people that share the love of this sport we call fishing could I find a safer harbor to share my frustration and desperation? And I was right, the support we got from the fishing community, people I really didn’t know other than a screen name, was incredible.

And today I do not ask for sympathy. My intent, just as it was back then, is to let a piece of the world know about a young man named Ryan.

I think tomorrow morning I will wake up at 3:00 a.m. and take the hour drive down to Old Saybrook. The tides are right. I may leave my boat “Ryan’s Lyin” home for this trip and go back to my surfcasting roots…back to a time when my family was just a wish attached to the tail of a late-night falling star I saw while fishing. I’m going to wade out onto the jetty and perch myself up on Ryan’s Rock and cast eels into the night.

As I wrote five years ago today, if you’re fishing tonight, look up to the heavens and say a prayer for Ryan. You will catch more fish!

Oh, and while today I may not be the luckiest man alive, I will tell you I am the second luckiest. And that ain’t so bad.

May god bless you Ryan my son.

Gary Kulik

bloocrab
08-20-2004, 05:16 PM
My condolences Gary - :) - God Bless You Ryan!!

bloocrab
08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
I lost another 50#er today ____________ :(

bloocrab
08-20-2004, 05:50 PM
:D :D - - - - - I DID IT AGAIN!!!....don't be jealous - JUST DO IT!!

We had a blast! ... This time I kidnapped my godson and my nephew for Crabbin' part II. They rarely see each other even though they're cousins...and let me tell ya, THEY LOVED IT!! Another one who's father isn't fishyfriendly ;) got to enjoy a great day on the water. They also learned a valuable lesson about the vicious horse/fly :mad:

....hmmmmm....and plenty of time to plan MY fishing trip :devil:

bassmaster
08-20-2004, 06:30 PM
bloo Your the Best:)

chris L
08-20-2004, 06:34 PM
gary thanks for the reminder .

God Bless You and Your Family ! and God Bless Ryan !

Slingah
08-20-2004, 06:53 PM
good stuff bloo....good stuff:D

PARTSGUY
08-20-2004, 07:22 PM
GREAT STORY
I HAVE A SIX YEAR OLD SON WITH MILD AUTISM AND I CANT WAIT TO TAKE HIM FISHING OR CRABING BUT FOR NOW WE WALK
ALONG THE WATER AND THROW ROCKS IN.EVEN THAT IS BEATS
TRYING FOR A 50+#er
:)

Nebe
08-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Gary that tale you tell is very moving. God bless you and your family for going through something like that.. And after having a little boy of my own now I just cant wait to get him out on the water... i figure i'll start him off simple... scup, maybe even fresh water... bass will follow. I always run into Dave Pickering and his son fishing together and it really makes me yern to fish with my son.

Bloocrab... good for you! Your giving those boys memories that will last a life time.

Crafty Angler
08-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah, we all agree, Bloo done a good thing - he's a good-hearted soul to make the effort to give the kids memories for a lifetime.

But too often people don't remember the others who would appreciate a day like that, too - meaning the elderly who don't get around so well anymore and just appreciate the fact that you thought of them.

So...uhhhh...Bloo, how about taking poor old Uncle Crafty out for some crabbin'....don't get around like I used to, but I sure likes me some of them blooocrabs....:tooth:

Jenn
08-21-2004, 08:47 AM
This is such a nice thread! You did it again Bloo!

I dont have kids so sometimes I dont understand "what age=what ability".......but a few years ago my friends grandaughter (3 years old) came to visit her and we took her fishing (I thought this would not go far,,,,,shes so small I thought to myself!!!!) well she caught all this pumpkinseeds in the world and had a blast!!!! and I learned that NOT catching a bass that day wasnt as important as I thought AND that even three year olds can fish!

best part is we still try to go everytime she visits grammy and she LOVES to laugh at me when she catches all the fish!:D ;) ;) ;)

bloocrab
08-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Crafty Angler
...how about taking poor old Uncle Crafty out for some crabbin'..:tooth:

Not a problem :D - - - What's your schedule lookin' like for the upcoming week? Should still be decent for about a month :)

PARTSGUY
08-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bloocrab
Not a problem :D - - - What's your schedule lookin' like for the upcoming week? Should still be decent for about a month :) THIS WEEK IS BAD I HAVE 2 DR'S APTS, ONE FOR MY
BROKEN FOOT.ALSO I HAVE A MEETING AT BRADLEY HOSPITAL
FOR MY SONS THERAPY:(

Crafty Angler
08-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Thanks, Uncle Gilly :) - I'll PM ya -