View Full Version : Fish and swallow waters when it's cold out??

PROKHAOS
09-04-2001, 07:44 AM
I noticed come Sept.01.2001 when the temp around here has dropped..the fish seem to be coming into the swallow waters, and looking for food. I was casting right into their locations, and yet nothing. I'm using frozen mackel, and sandeels...Any tips?
I mean should I be using a little weight? a lot of weight? No weight? I'm using a Quartum blue runner 8' pole, with a 2oz weight and a clear leader. I caught a 21" striper the other night, but that was when I used a 3oz weight. Lastnight I went up on the dock, and could see the fish jumping not to far away. Also you could see tons of little stripers in not deep waters. I'm going to enter a tourment this weekend. Hey maybe I will get lucky, maybe not. But it's the fun that makes it worth it...Not the prizes. So any tips,tricks for fishing for stripers in sept. I'm fishing on plum island. On the river side, where the mouth of the river meets the ocean. Please reply ASAP. Not to many days left until this weekend.....I will keep you posted on my results over the weekend.

Thanks Kev :)

http://www.pronkaat.com

PROKHAOS
09-04-2001, 08:00 AM
Sorry for spelling errors.
Wasn't fully awake when I posted that site.

JohnR
09-04-2001, 08:35 AM
Plum Island at the mouth (but I assume south side, inside the jetty - right?). If you're using cut bait, try to get fresh mackeral instead of frozen. It would make an enormous difference. Also for bait you can use clams, herring, and bunker. Any fresh bait is far superior to the frozen though and you should definitely use circle hooks for this. As far as weight goes, there are times that the Merrimack will move 6 ounces on you when that current is really moving...

Other items such as plugs and eels can be key out there as well. You may also wish to explore the beach out front as there are times when that is far better and far less crowded than the river itself...

The Iceman 6
09-04-2001, 08:38 AM
Try slinging live eel's at night! Good Luck, Iceman6